Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times

Advertisements

File for unemployment ANYWAY. "Not a good fit" is not being fired for cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,438 times
I would file for unemployment. A company did this to me.. I didn't get any warnings, writeups, or any indication that they weren't happy with what I was doing. I got on well with everyone.

The only thing I can think of was that the office manager was the general managers daughter. I usually worked over the weekends and one weekend I was horribly sick with strep, super high fever, violent chills, I had a letter from urgent care. The office manager had to cancel her plans to paint a mural for someone, to cover my shift. When I dragged myself back to work, I was told that I wasn't a good fit and I was terminated. They tried to fight my unemployment claim. Since I never got any warnings, and I actually had a doctors note which they didn't even read, I got unemployment.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:46 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,389,618 times
I have had job applicants who I thought would be really good on the job only to find out later they were 'not a good fit'. That's why the first 90 days was considered to be a trial period with a sit-down review at the end of that time. People who show up late, can't stay off the phone, can't get their work done and annoy the co-workers (or worse yet, the boss) can't stay.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 PM

77 posts, read 133,444 times
[quote=mrpeatie;40608333]On the flip side it can also mean that you pissed off or threatened a person they think they cannot do without. Sometimes that person is not worth near the frustration an owner/manager allows them but if thats what the higher up thinks...

I have had it happen to me and know lots of people that have been in the same situation. It is not uncommon at all, just not talked about very much because people feel embarrassed and ashamed.

When it happens, it is very traumatizing and really blows you back on your heels. Firing someone without any warning is a very unkind, inhuman and below the belt move, usually carried out by a coward who does not have the guts to coach or counsel their employee on what is required to fit into the team using feedback.

As a manager, my job is to make sure you are successful at your job and if you are a new employee, my job is to make sure your onboarding into the company culture is as smooth a transition as possible or I am not doing my job. The manager is responsible for the culture and climate of the team and firing someone for "not a good fit" is just a sign of a lazy bad manager.

When this happens, just know you are not alone, and as hard as it is, DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Taking it personally and internalizing it just gives them power. Just own your part and know that they have a part in it as well.

In addition, although you do not believe it now, you will recover and people do recover from these types of situations.

It is extremely painful; take care of yourself.

Last edited by chestermom; 07-29-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM

40 posts, read 49,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I have had job applicants who I thought would be really good on the job only to find out later they were 'not a good fit'. That's why the first 90 days was considered to be a trial period with a sit-down review at the end of that time. People who show up late, can't stay off the phone, can't get their work done and annoy the co-workers (or worse yet, the boss) can't stay.
You don't understand my original post. In both cases I was not a brand new employee. The first time that happened I had worked there for 2 years and the second time I had worked there for 19 months. If I did anything wrong, like the list of transgressions you mention above, I was never told about it. If I was angering people I never was told either.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:04 PM

698 posts, read 587,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Not a good fit means they are trying to let you down nicely. They see no way that you could be of value to them. They hired you but shouldn't have.
Yep, I have used this phrase a few times to avoid hurting the person's feelings during their probationary period. It basically means that they messed up big time when they hired you.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:06 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,602 times
What the company did is not illegal, but it's just not a nice way to do business. Normally, there is a warning period, and not a good fit is something that becomes apparent within the first 3-4 months, not when you have been into the job for close to two years. I have seen this happen to average performers, in fact, managers sometimes prefer to keep 1-2 people on staff who are not great performers (please, do not take it personally, I am just hypothesizing here), the reason is, in case there are layoffs and senior managers come to the dept. managers looking for heads, they can push these people out painlessly. I would, however, examine your situation closer as you mentioned it happened twice.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
In At-will employment one may be fired at any time without any benefits added or severance added.

No reason needs to be given, except that they can say any reason{s}:"you aren't working out", "you are not a good fit", "we didn't get the new hoped-for contract", to any reason at all.

That is the way it is.

Sorry you're having such luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
If you've had "not a good fit" told to you twice in your career while being fired, that's on you. Figure out what it means.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM

765 posts, read 986,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
I agree completely that a bad employee who does not fit with the team in his work style, personality or how he deals with work challenges can bring the whole team. I also believe that in today's highly competitive economy businesses have no room for dead wood or people who are not performing. If an employee is unable to do their job, they should be terminated.

But I also believe in fairness, with no terminations being a surprise to the employee. I believe there should be an opportunity to improve, with constructive discussions and real examples of where the employee is not performing or getting along with the team.

You also have to look at the legal issues involved. What if that employee who was fired without notice or progressive discipline was from a protected class, a whistle blower or had been harassed by managers and they just used the "not a good fit" approach to get rid of them without process. Welcome to court, XYZ Corporation!

Also, when other employees see their hard working team members being fired without warning, they will get nervous it is going to happen to them and they will start job hunting.
See this is why I don't and will not return to that crap private sector
Work somewhere where being cut throat isn't an issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment