Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times

Advertisements

I would rather work for a company that notices my accomplishments and pays me for those accomplishments than for a company that has a collectivebargaining agreement such as a union. If one emloyee does a little extra for there employer, goes over and above there job description then chances are they will get the promotions that are available. I am not sure that this is the case with union workers, but with some that I have known they will say at the drop of a hat "That is not in my job description." Meaning ********* I won't do it and if you have a problem with that you can call my union rep. What good is that attitude in business? If I have an employee that gets the job done I will keep them. If I have an employee that follows the rules I will keep them. If I have an employee that goes over and above what is asked I will eventually promote them. And if I have an employee that slacks off all the time eventually they will end up leaving, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
I worked in a unionized job many years ago. I didn't like it because everybody knew that they couldn't easily get fired so they didn't work very hard. I was raised to see things from the employer's perspective and give a good days work for a days wages. In non-union jobs I have always moved ahead quickly because I am willing to work hard. In a union job you move ahead according to who was there before you.
I am not saying that union members are lazy. I just think that being in a union takes away your incentive to excel at your job.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Well why work hard? More hard work is rewarded with more hard work in my Company which is why no one works hard.

If you finish up fast, you come back to the center and they have you deliver until 9pm/ While the guys who paced themselves get back at 5pm.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,476 times
"Why work hard"
That depends on where you are working. If your company will just dump more work on you - then why work hard. If they'll promote you, then by all means.
In the long run, companies that promote the hard workers will be run better (because people will want to work hard) and they will out compete those companies that encourage slacking.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I work hard because I love what I do. Why would you work for a place that you didn't enjoy being there and know that you can acomplish something. My thought is that if you don't like where yo work you need to find something else that you like.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
My job is a marathon to retirement not a sprint. Gotta pace yourself.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I would rather work for a company that notices my accomplishments and pays me for those accomplishments than for a company that has a collectivebargaining agreement such as a union. If one emloyee does a little extra for there employer, goes over and above there job description then chances are they will get the promotions that are available. I am not sure that this is the case with union workers, but with some that I have known they will say at the drop of a hat "That is not in my job description." Meaning ********* I won't do it and if you have a problem with that you can call my union rep. What good is that attitude in business? If I have an employee that gets the job done I will keep them. If I have an employee that follows the rules I will keep them. If I have an employee that goes over and above what is asked I will eventually promote them. And if I have an employee that slacks off all the time eventually they will end up leaving, one way or another.
Do you actually believe that "work hard sonny boy and you will get ahead" crap? It don't work like that in the REAL world. Sure the bosses might pet you on the head and say "atta boy" while they hand out the raises and promotions to people that are half as productive and half as educated as you and who are often a relative of somebody else in management. I used to bust my ass too and was always above target on my scorecards and other non objective measurements but because I refused to get down on all fours and sniff the boss' ass, I will never see a promotion nor do I even want one anymore. I will just keep my union job thank you.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I work hard because I love what I do. Why would you work for a place that you didn't enjoy being there and know that you can acomplish something. My thought is that if you don't like where yo work you need to find something else that you like.
Once you are over 50 or near 50 it is damn hard to go and find something else. Especially if your job is specialized to a few companies. I worked for Bellsouth/Cingular for years. I didn't ask AT&T to buy my company. At one time I was appreciated for my hard work. Now I am not.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I worked in a unionized job many years ago. I didn't like it because everybody knew that they couldn't easily get fired so they didn't work very hard. I was raised to see things from the employer's perspective and give a good days work for a days wages. In non-union jobs I have always moved ahead quickly because I am willing to work hard. In a union job you move ahead according to who was there before you.
I am not saying that union members are lazy. I just think that being in a union takes away your incentive to excel at your job.
I do not agree with that. The company picks who will be promoted and it does not matter a bit on what your senority is. In fact my company hires many managers off the street and promotes others within a year of hire before they are even Journeymen technicians (many of them are sorry ass techs BTW). The union has nothing to say about who they promote. You get promoted by either having a family member in management or by kissing up to management. I have neither so, despite having a college degree from a good university and being able to spell my name correctly, I will never be promoted. But I am OK with that. Being in the union means I get better benefits than the managers do and, if I work even 5 hours of overtime, I get paid more than they do because they do not get squat for overtime although they are forced to work it.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
In legal terms,
though, since the last half of the 19th century,
employment in each of the United States has been
“at will,” or terminable by either the employer or
employee for any reason whatsoever. The employment-
at-will doctrine avows that, when an
employee does not have a written employment
contract and the term of employment is of indefinite
duration, the employer can terminate the
employee for good cause, bad cause, or no cause
at all.
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf

Real world experience while working for a global corporation, they simply sent out a mailing to all employees stating that any contracts if they existed were now null and void, and that all employees should consider themselves "at will employees". Every year we received another pamphlet in mailings to our homes that reminded us that we were "at will employees".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment