Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:20 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

Rule #1: never tell your boss or co-workers you are interviewing or intending to change jobs.

Rule #2: never accept a counter-offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Bottom line: I'm a Christian and I absolutely am not willing to lie to my employer about where I'm going.
Lie, please, lie and be strong about it. This has NOTHING to do with Christianity. There is nothing that says you can't better yourself. This is a case of situational ethics....you simply cannot take the Word and apply it literally. This is exactly why there is so much bickering on the religious threads...the canyon between those who interpret everything literally and those who look for the intent.

Also, ask how Christian-like it is when some business owners or company execs, Christian/Catholic and whatever else, let a person or a bunch of people go, while they are living fat, dumb and happy? Get real. Lie through your teeth and go get yourself a new job. Then go to Church and thank the Lord.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Lie, please, lie and be strong about it. This has NOTHING to do with Christianity. There is nothing that says you can't better yourself. This is a case of situational ethics....you simply cannot take the Word and apply it literally. This is exactly why there is so much bickering on the religious threads...the canyon between those who interpret everything literally and those who look for the intent.

Also, ask how Christian-like it is when some business owners or company execs, Christian/Catholic and whatever else, let a person or a bunch of people go, while they are living fat, dumb and happy? Get real. Lie through your teeth and go get yourself a new job. Then go to Church and thank the Lord.
LOL! Let me put it this way- if this were the 1940's, and I were hiding Jews in my attic and Nazis came to my door, I would lie through my teeth about it to the best of my ability. Short of a similar "situational ethic" like that (where one moral principle "trumps" another,) I just can't condone it.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Rule #1: never tell your boss or co-workers you are interviewing or intending to change jobs.

Rule #2: never accept a counter-offer.
Corollary to Rule #1: Never announce your intentions.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Corollary to Rule #1: Never announce your intentions.
I agree it's not wisdom. Those kind of cards should be played close to your vest IMO!

Old 01-31-2008, 11:48 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I agree it's not wisdom. Those kind of cards should be played close to your vest IMO!
Yes it is kaykay. These were words from a former boss, nonetheless, which I have never forgotten since. I wish you the best in that interview!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM

482 posts, read 280,057 times
Default A little bit the same but maybe a little off topic

While I agree with what others are saying about keeping your cards close to your chest I am not one to stay quiet - despite knowing better. Having just been forced to move from one clinic (it closed) to another only to find the new clinic is a toxic & logistical nightmare - and the Clinical Director is aware of a lot of the problems at this site - I just can't keep my mouth shut about how unhappy I am with the horrible infrastructure and the general nastiness of the staff. (BTW: I am a "Staff Therapist" - and am supposed to be working with a team of mental health professionals - but I am not bitter, much).

While I am not playing my cards very close to my chest on this front and I don't care - my immediate boss's response has been to reassure me big changes are in the works, my dilemma is that I can't start another job now b/c our co-op should go into contract this week and within months we will leave this city altogether. I have kept my mouth shut about moving. I understand your FEELING about lying because as up front as I have been about my dissatisfaction there is no way I will tell them I'll be gone in a few months because if the owners got a wind of it they'd be evil enough to just fire me on the spot - they've done it before. Still, it is hard to cope with how badly I feel taking on new responsibilities, knowing I will be gone (these feelings are about clients I work with not any sense of obligation to the employer). I need the money or I'd walk away now.

Which brings me back to YOUR dilemma: can you just leave and then find another job? You say can find work and your husband makes good money. Maybe you need to take a leap of faith as risky as it can be. Also, as others state, going back to school is a FANTASTIC idea. I just turned 46 and have now been in this profession for almost 5 years...I too had boring jobs despite a bachelor's in psychology...getting my masters changed my life and going to school as an adult was great. Despite my current work environment I love the work itself and never have a minute to be bored.

Is it possible you may be selling yourself short by looking for a receptionist job? Isn't there a high probability, going by your presentation of being bored not just in your current position but in previous ones as well, you could land a receptionist job and be bored again in a year? Since you say you don't know what area you want to work in, it might be a good investment in yourself to spend a few dollars on professional testing that will help you determine what field for which you are best suited.

In any event all the best and good luck no matter where you land (hopefully somewhere you are challenged - we spend the better part of our lives at work and frankly, being bored is much harder than being super-busy - at least to me).

It WILL all work out - it always does.

P.S. Sorry for the long post but I read the whole thread and had a lot to say!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echobeach View Post
While I agree with what others are saying about keeping your cards close to your chest I am not one to stay quiet - despite knowing better. Having just been forced to move from one clinic (it closed) to another only to find the new clinic is a toxic & logistical nightmare - and the Clinical Director is aware of a lot of the problems at this site - I just can't keep my mouth shut about how unhappy I am with the horrible infrastructure and the general nastiness of the staff. (BTW: I am a "Staff Therapist" - and am supposed to be working with a team of mental health professionals - but I am not bitter, much).

While I am not playing my cards very close to my chest on this front and I don't care - my immediate boss's response has been to reassure me big changes are in the works, my dilemma is that I can't start another job now b/c our co-op should go into contract this week and within months we will leave this city altogether. I have kept my mouth shut about moving. I understand your FEELING about lying because as up front as I have been about my dissatisfaction there is no way I will tell them I'll be gone in a few months because if the owners got a wind of it they'd be evil enough to just fire me on the spot - they've done it before. Still, it is hard to cope with how badly I feel taking on new responsibilities, knowing I will be gone (these feelings are about clients I work with not any sense of obligation to the employer). I need the money or I'd walk away now.

Which brings me back to YOUR dilemma: can you just leave and then find another job? You say can find work and your husband makes good money. Maybe you need to take a leap of faith as risky as it can be. Also, as others state, going back to school is a FANTASTIC idea. I just turned 46 and have now been in this profession for almost 5 years...I too had boring jobs despite a bachelor's in psychology...getting my masters changed my life and going to school as an adult was great. Despite my current work environment I love the work itself and never have a minute to be bored.

Is it possible you may be selling yourself short by looking for a receptionist job? Isn't there a high probability, going by your presentation of being bored not just in your current position but in previous ones as well, you could land a receptionist job and be bored again in a year? Since you say you don't know what area you want to work in, it might be a good investment in yourself to spend a few dollars on professional testing that will help you determine what field for which you are best suited.

In any event all the best and good luck no matter where you land (hopefully somewhere you are challenged - we spend the better part of our lives at work and frankly, being bored is much harder than being super-busy - at least to me).

It WILL all work out - it always does.

P.S. Sorry for the long post but I read the whole thread and had a lot to say!
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it is possible that I could just quit and look for a job. We can go a little while without my income, but we are trying to pay off some debt. So I really don't want to go for awhile without working right now if I can help it. I did that once before and I was out of work about 2 months before getting something else. It's "do-able" but I'm not crazy about the option.

Yeah, I'm doing some deep thinking and praying about what I should do-employment wise. Yes, the argument is good that maybe I'm bored once the learning curve wears off because I'm underchallenged. But I'm just not sure what to do about that right now. ( I know I need a little more computer skills/training) (And anything can get boring. Even when I was "working in my field" right after college, I worked almost 6 years in a hospital, but after one year, I was bored with it.) And ... I have gotten bored not working at all!

Regarding receptionist jobs, I have done enouigh now to know some are truly better than others. Right now just too much rote transferring of calls etc. and not enough personal interaction. Anyway, I'm pondering...I''m pondering.... Thanks for challenging me! I probably need it.

And wishing you the best in your situation--
kaykay

Last edited by kaykay; 02-03-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search