Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why does that matter to you?
Did OP say it did?

Ever make an observation and wondered why??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post

I recently heard about a lady who's worked at Wendy's for 9 years? 9 YEARS? And she's still employed there.
I don't know the situation, but she might be doing it for supplemental family income and needs the flexibility. So if she has kids and her husband works, a job like that allows you to be able to schedule around it.

Last edited by MoNative34; 08-08-2015 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Missed the word "don't".

Old 08-08-2015, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 8,624 times
Intellectual and English language challenges make it nearly impossible to move into a job that involves reading, writing or speaking properly.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
There are countless reasons why someone would stay in a low paying job. We all do the best we can to get by. And don't forget we're a mainly service industry economy, and service jobs are generally low paying.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:08 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Did OP say it did?

Ever make an observation and wondered why??
Agreed. If every thread had a response of "why does it matter to you?" then what exactly would be the point of this forum?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
And going back to school hardly guarantees a good job. The colleges are pumping out more grads than their are jobs to absorb them. And many graduate with degrees that aren't very marketable.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:39 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Self confidence level and being content.
That was my thought too. I work with some of them. I've had three jobs in my life. First two were part-time low wage jobs during highschool/college, third job was what I'll call a "living wage job" with the ability advance my income.

Some are content with what they have. They live within their means on their relatively small wage. Some don't have the self confidence to try for something higher up the wage scale ladder.

It kind of pains me at times to see some of them, around my age (middle age) kind of struggling to get by and living a life I'd not choose to live.....but to each their own.

If they are happy and content with their choices in life, it's fine by me. Life is what you make of it.....you're in charge.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Tow examples -- I JUST had talk yesterday with a young lady who's been at Target for 11 years.
-- My SIL worked at JC Penney, and said there were people there as sales associates for 30+ years.

There are various reasons people stay....other posts mentioned and explained them quite well.

ULTIMATELY, I think they stay because on whatever level....it works for them.
The young lady I spoke to (if she started at Target at 16...she's now 27)..She's married with a 2 year-old son. She TALKED about applying for other jobs, even said she followed up with phone calls. But with a 2 year-old and working 30 hours at Target, and ONE car (which means she sometimes has to pick her husband up or take HIM to work)....she said she doesn't have a LOT of time to job search. Trust me, over the course of a half-hour conversation I pressed on her situation.....ULTIMATELY, even though she wants to make more money and says she'd leave Target......at SOME LEVEL...Target is working for her. So she stays.

The women who worked at JC Penney for 30-plus years..... Well, that means they started decades ago -- likely started part-time when their kids were small. So they were housewives only working for extra money and never needed or had any other career. JC Penney allowed flexible hours for them it was a little extra money, they got store discounts....being at JC Penney worked for them. They didn't desire or need anything more.

I TRULY believe, many, if not most, people get into a rut, or get comfortable in a situation and even though there might be something about that situation that isn't perfect, it's not so bad they need to leave. They have no PRESSING, DIRE situation, or DESIRE that outweighs what IS working for them right now.

That's the same for people who've been at fast food places and department stores, or car rental places or.......on Wall Street, in a corporate office, a doctors office, in an oil field or wherever....clearly SOMEthing about it is working for them.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:01 PM

27 posts, read 42,205 times
One of the cashiers at the supermarket where I shop has been there for 17 years. It's a good supermarket chain, I imagine it has good benefits, especially the benefits that started pre-recession era, which would be the case in this instance. May even have a pension plan, something most companies no longer offer.

For some, benefits are the motivation. For others money, job progression, prestige. I tend towards the latter. The way I've managed that has been moving around a bit. And why I actually admire anyone who can stay at a job, any job, for 17 years!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:11 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Because under current country leadership the majority of jobs being created are nothing but dead end low wage jobs..

... Oh but yea the economy is so much better. Sure if it is, if you want to work 3-4 jobs just to make ends meet.

Upper Management at companies have also gotten much greedier and are now operating on skeleton crews and working them to death so they are not opening good paying positions.

Why put up new job opening when you can work your poor workforce to the bone for a couple extra pennies or no pennies at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment