Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working as a PC/Production Technician for a small company in MT. I work for them through a large staffing agency.

In the next week or so, I go from temp... to full-employee. I currently make $17/hr. My company doesn't know what I get paid through the staffing agency. My company pays the agency $34/hr or so (from what I've heard). I'm not worth that much.

I would like to get a raise when this contract ends. How do I go about approaching that? Particularly since I still believe that they are unaware what I get paid, and I have never had a temp-to-hire contract before. I believe I'm worth more than what I'm making, but less than what they are currently paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
Has someone offered you the position? When the job is actually offered to you would be the time to discuss salary.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Has someone offered you the position? When the job is actually offered to you would be the time to discuss salary.
Position has not been 'formally' offered because I haven't reached the end of the hours worked necessary for the contract to end.

However, most recent e-mail I got said that I need to talk to our admins about the paperwork very shortly.

And, its been quite clear since like November that I have a job here.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Congratulations to you and you are to be commended - in my neck of the woods you would never hear anyone being quite as humble as you - quite refreshing. Don't change. :-)

HR might very well be aware of how much you are earning - I made it my business to know when I was in HR. In a similar situation, we split the difference with the employee. See what they want to offer you and negotiate.

Also, if they offer you an attractive package, i.e. good health, etc. you will want to consider this as well. Most employees just see the $$$ sign of a paycheck and don't realize the significant costs of health care and other monetary benefits.

Good luck!!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Congratulations to you and you are to be commended - in my neck of the woods you would never hear anyone being quite as humble as you - quite refreshing. Don't change. :-)

HR might very well be aware of how much you are earning - I made it my business to know when I was in HR. In a similar situation, we split the difference with the employee. See what they want to offer you and negotiate.

Also, if they offer you an attractive package, i.e. good health, etc. you will want to consider this as well. Most employees just see the $$$ sign of a paycheck and don't realize the significant costs of health care and other monetary benefits.

Good luck!!
Yeah, and that'll be part of it. I believe we have possible access to the nice fitness club around town? If so, I'll definitely see what that would take from my paycheck.

Health insurance for me is tricky. I am currently on my mother's policy (since I am still under 21 and going to school) the issue is that a) My insurance is through Group Health Co-Op in Seattle, and they don't have anywhere good for me to go to here, and I stay on it only in case of medical emergencies.

Long story short, to keep that plan when I move back to Seattle requires never being off it, because they don't offer it anymore.

But, those are definitely going to be items of consideration. Especially as I consider more and more not ever moving back.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:20 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
[quote=Radek;2623316]Yeah, and that'll be part of it. I believe we have possible access to the nice fitness club around town? If so, I'll definitely see what that would take from my paycheck.

First Kudos to you for being so mature at that age...your mother did a fine job!
Health insurance for me is tricky. I am currently on my mother's policy (since I am still under 21 and going to school) the issue is that a) My insurance is through Group Health Co-Op in Seattle, and they don't have anywhere good for me to go to here, and I stay on it only in case of medical emergencies.
I understand you are not in Seattle...so in case of emergency does a different state's hospitals honor that insurance? If you do not "want" the insurance, your company is not going to compensate you for it in the form of your salary. It's like a take it or leave it kind of thing. Also, most companies "require" their employees to be on the insurance plan.
Long story short, to keep that plan when I move back to Seattle requires never being off it, because they don't offer it anymore.

But, those are definitely going to be items of consideration. Especially as I consider more and more not ever moving back.

Okay, for the salary...yes, I agree that your employer knows full well how much you are making...When you are a contract employee, you usually make more because you do not have benefits which is what most people usually want (but some like you don't really need). My guess is they will probably keep you at the current level but to be sure, go to HR to fill out the paperwork and just ask, or it may already be printed on the paperwork;
Scenario 1-
now if they want to pay you $10/hr from $17 that is just insulting and you do not sign a thing until you negotiate a higher salary ($14 & up more like it). You are obviously worth the $17/hr or else they would not have kept you...
Scenario 2-
You get the paperwork and it says $20/hr, don't say but "I'm not worth that much..." you are and they are probably taking into consideration that the benefits involved will be costing you (something you did not have before). Then you go out for a celebration dinner!

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:36 PM

In case of Emergency, I think I'd end up having to pay some $150 for an ER visit, max. My mom claims $50. Who knows. I also know that my insurance will extract me to Seattle for long-term care, etc, and I do not believe there would be a charge associated with that. (maybe our deductible, which is some ridiculously low number.

And we'll see what happens with the insurance and salary, etc.

HR is currently on vacation (read: SHE is on vacation, I really love small companies)

And, from my experience, its temp at: X/hr, and then hire at X+Y/hr So, I won't know for sure until we all sit down and start discussing things. I also know my boss pays employees really well. Don't know what others are making, but they're all happy.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:50 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
Wow, 12 years later and temp rates have not risen. I was in this situation 12 years ago, I worked at an investment firm for a year making 18 per hour, while agency took in $30 for my hard work. When the firm came to me and asked me what I wanted, I let them know that I wanted what I was use to making. They tried to tell me about all their incentives which compensated for the pay. Since we could not agree we both sat on it. (Firm rules that temps must be hire/let go in a year) My Managing Director, who I supported was not at ease with HR. He loved my work and did not want to have to go through another training process with a new temp. This company liked to try temps, rather than direct hire. With his inability to lose me, he let them know that he wanted me in an employee role for the pay I requested. Later during the day, I got my offer letter by inter-office mail detailing my salary, start date and orientation. I stayed with that firm for 12 years before moving to NC last summer.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
ARussell: Was that job years ago in Montana as well? My first thought is that Radek is VERY fortunate to have found such a good paying job in Montana! $17/hr. is good here, let along more, which will most likely be the case as a permanent employee. MT wages are very low, but our cost of living is low, too, and the quality of living is well worth it! What town are you in, Radek? Best of luck to you!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:10 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Radek - I would take that $34 and knock off about 28% for benefits...that's about the run rate as percent of compensation. Based on that, you could actually negotiate as high as about $25. As the others have said, you've done well for your youth. Have confidence, wait for the offer and put your best foot forward. Of course, consider other things as well...your commute, other expenses and the prospect of growing with the company. The other thing you could offer is to be paid as an independent contractor outside of the recruiter. You can negotiate for higher wages being paid through a 1099, as compared to a W-2 employee. Of course, you won't get benefits as a contractor and may have to secure your own individual coverage. Work the numbers out and see where you come out ahead.

And best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment