Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

MN will put you through the ringer on a requalification for existing benefits. The standard to return collecting is much higher than initial benefits claims since you have moved the bar on suitability and performance by accepting this position. Sometimes its easier to purge the disqualification that it is to try going back on unemplyment using the old claim. You also give your original employer a second crack at challenging your benefits since they are the primary charged payer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 10:41 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
OP, you need new friends too, if they are helping you to figure out how to get on unemployment benefits and not how to go out and interview for other jobs.

You sound like my lazy BIL. Before the recession, he was a professional UB collector. He would find a job just to work long enough to go back onto unemployment. He did this for years. The extension in the benefits a few years back is what did him in. He thought that train was going to ride forever. Now he can't find a job, so he's doing handyman odd jobs and getting involved in get rich quick type schemes. The market ended his UB gravy train though.

If you really would rather get into a new position in a decent work environment, then you need to reconsider your strategy.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:19 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
I thought that you had to get laid off and not fired to get unemployment benefits !

Old 08-11-2015, 11:53 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I thought that you had to get laid off and not fired to get unemployment benefits !
Common misconception. You can get unemployment if you quit or if you get fired. The ability is based on the facts as it pertains to your state's unemployment regulations. If you read the unemployment sub-forum, you'll see many cases where a person was fired and was able to collect just like many collected when they quit. The biggest enemy of the worker is ignorance of the regulations and that causes claimants to be denied when they legally should have collected.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Here's a suggestion; grow up!

Old 08-11-2015, 12:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserable at work View Post
I was working my dream job for almost five years and thought I could stay there until I retired. But a new manager came in and laid off most of the old management team and I was out.

I got nervous and accepted the first job that was offered to me after being on jobless benefits for one month. What a terrible mistake. The new job is terrible and the boss yells at me all the time and uses many four letter words. I would like to quit but can't go back on jobless benefits if I quit.

I want to be fired but in such a way that I would be eligible for jobless benefits again. My friends tell me that I stop working hard or am involved in any misconduct I will be ineligible to go back on unemployment. They think the best way to get fired is to try hard to do a good job but complain to the next level boss about my supervisor. And if he does not do anything, then move up the chain of command and keep complaining. There are four levels above my supervisor.

They will call me a complainer and lay me off. But because I follow company procedure I will still be eligible for jobless benefits. What do you think?
My advice: Wear a wire.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:03 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Call HR

Old 08-11-2015, 01:20 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserable at work View Post
What do you think?
I think people like you are the reason why this country is in a mess. Always looking for the easy way out and don't have any personal responsibility.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM

211 posts, read 266,721 times
Don't volunteer to help out, make mistakes on purpose. You'll be able to collect unemployment since it's not misconduct, in most states in any case.

Old 08-11-2015, 03:17 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think people like you are the reason why this country is in a mess. Always looking for the easy way out and don't have any personal responsibility.
I blame the new boss for coming in and immediately firing everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment