Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 10:35 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times

Advertisements

No matter where you go, there will be people who like to hear themselves talk. At least now you know who your friends aren't. If it really gets bad enough, look for a transfer or another employer. I've transferred a few times over the years. Quality of life is important, and if you dread going to work, and the site of the building makes you sick, it's time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 10:41 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Ouch, that hurts. But just keep doing your job well; it will be the best revenge. As someone else said, you may end up outlasting them!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
For one thing, I would wonder if my own manager was on the outs and they're slamming everyone in the department. That is, unless you are in HR, and if so, you just heard what everyone says about HR. They would probably say the same stuff about the IT guy, but no one is so suicidal to risk the IT guy overhearing something like that, lol.

How good a relationship do you have with your boss?
That is the person that matters the most in this, and I would want to let my boss know about it if circumstances allow.

You would approach it with your boss like the gossip was no big deal personally, it happens, but you are worried that you're doing something that makes the department look bad and you want to fix it. Especially do not let on that your feelings were hurt, but rather make it sound like you're above it. If he asks if you want anything done about it, you say no, you just want to know what you can do for the department.

Why? Because it is possible that there actually is something that you're doing that makes your boss look bad to the other managers. I've always believed that job #1 is making your boss look good and job #2 is not making the boss look bad. Or maybe it's the other way around, but you get the idea.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 AM

749 posts, read 2,455,505 times
You should always treat a job as a consulting gig - in other words you work for yourself and your company is your client. You're there to provide a service but also to gain the knowledge, which stays with you and NOT your company. So during yearly review it's either up or out, meaning you either get promoted or you're ready to leave and take the company's investment in you, with you. This way you're never on the losing end and any workplace politics is just harmless noise. But when you take this approach you have to always be in the market and networking so that you can leave quickly if need be. 99% of your coworkers will be kissing ass to get promoted or even just to keep their job and you'll be the only one left that your bosses are all scared of because you know everything and always seem like you're on the verge of leaving when they really need you. For this to be effective, you just have to be honest with yourself and be learning a lot and taking on a lot of responsibility that isn't easily replaceable. That way you have the upper hand and your bosses will need to be convincing you why you should stay.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 AM

89 posts, read 110,727 times
I may think I am doing a good job but in the final analysis it is not the hours you put in, or the technical skills you use in the job, or the hundreds of good interactions you have with your coworkers. It is instead- what key staff and your manager think of you, that will make or break your career and your success at that company.

Those nasty three women will win in any discussion with me because they have been moving up to bigger and better jobs at the company for years and are highly respected by senior management and others in the company. What I say or do is of little importance as long as they don't like or respect me.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Morton View Post
I was sitting in the back of the building in an empty cubical while my computer was being worked on by one of the IT folks. A group of managers in the office were standing in the back near me gossiping and they did not know I was back there. The conversation turned to me and my ears started burning.

Needless to say they were telling each other how terrible I was and made some very offensive comments about my appearance and personality. I thought about coming out and standing next to them, but decided to keep sitting there and listen. They were saying some incredibly mean things about me and also spreading lies. One of the ladies was just incredibly cruel and vicious in her comments about me. If she said things about me to the two other women that afternoon, it was logical that she was talking trash about me to all kinds of other people too.

What should I do, and what would you do? These are key managers of the company with lots of clout, but not in my department but I do work with them closely.
Stop pissing people off?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:28 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Morton View Post
I may think I am doing a good job but in the final analysis it is not the hours you put in, or the technical skills you use in the job, or the hundreds of good interactions you have with your coworkers. It is instead- what key staff and your manager think of you, that will make or break your career and your success at that company.

Those nasty three women will win in any discussion with me because they have been moving up to bigger and better jobs at the company for years and are highly respected by senior management and others in the company. What I say or do is of little importance as long as they don't like or respect me.
Agreed that reputation and credibility mean more than anything.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
My advice to you is to think hard about whether anything they said is actually true, and then work on that. Then just keep doing your job well and doing what you are paid you do. Being recognized for excellent work by people who matter is a great way to nullify these petty jerks.

But don't let the fact that they are high level managers bother you too much. It's been my observations that sometimes being high level employees just means they fall from a higher level when they screw up.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,263,308 times
You will find this any where you work. Nice to your face, awful when your back is turned. Women are the worst when it comes to gossip/backstabbing at work. If there is any truth to what your heard then work on fixing it.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
I think you should RetireNow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment