Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 09:31 PM

249 posts, read 424,803 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be receiving an advanced degree – if all goes well – in the spring. If I want to change jobs and do something in that field, this is the window in which to make that change.

The problem is this: when talking with friends and acquaintances at employers I might be interested in working for, they all say things like "go to the website and apply for a position". But aren't those listings typically positions that the company wants to fill as soon as they can?

I don't want to leave my present job so suddenly and leave the company in the lurch. It would take them a while to replace me and someone would have to step into my weird hours (graveyard shift) with almost no notice. I've been with my company for 15 years, and it's the only professional job I've ever had. They've taken care of me for a long time and I will never stab them in the back, even if it means turning down a much higher paying or much more fulfilling job.

Is it even possible these days to be recruited to start a job, say, six months from now? I really don't want to have to commit to changing jobs and tell my employer that I'm getting a postgrad degree in March and so March 31 will be my last day. Then if another job doesn't materialize, I'm stuck. I'm perfectly happy to stay at the job I have now (and have been doing for a decade and a half), but would like to at least see what is available if I want to switch.

TL;DR: Will I be laughed out of a job interview if I tell them the earliest I can start is April 2016?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
8 weeks. In that position, and at that time, I was willing to get terminated on that day. I didn't, though.'

For interview purposes, I would not deviate from giving the normal "2 week" notice. It might sound weird or worse, indulgent. Just say you can start in 2 weeks and nobody will look at you sideways.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
8 weeks. In that position, and at that time, I was willing to get terminated on that day. I didn't, though.'

For interview purposes, I would not deviate from giving the normal "2 week" notice. It might sound weird or worse, indulgent. Just say you can start in 2 weeks and nobody will look at you sideways.
So you told your new employer you could start in 8 weeks, and it went OK?

I can't say "2 weeks" in an interview and then, after an offer is made, try and bargain them up to three or six months. And unless I have another job already lined up, I can't go asking my current employer how much advance notice they would need if I quit.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Who cares what your current employer thinks when you already have a new job.

In life you have to look out for yourself. Your employer is looking out for themselves, you should do the same.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Who cares what your current employer thinks when you already have a new job.
They've treated me well over the nearly 16 years I have been there. They deserve the same treatment from me. Why burn a bridge?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermerhorn View Post
They've treated me well over the nearly 16 years I have been there. They deserve the same treatment from me. Why burn a bridge?
Giving traditional notice is not burning a bridge. You can let them know you are interviewing.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:18 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
Traditional notice is good..

No matter how good they have been to you, and visa versa, you'd be surprised how feelings change when you hand in your notice... You may get the "you can leave now", which, you may not be prepared for both mentally and financially.

I can 99.9% guarantee you that no matter how good they have been to you, if they had to get rid of you, they would without a care in the world.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:31 AM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
the day I leave a company for good is the day they find out. they get as much notice as they give their employees when they do layoffs which is none

Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 AM

146 posts, read 213,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
the day I leave a company for good is the day they find out. they get as much notice as they give their employees when they do layoffs which is none
My exact feelings on the subject.
The day of two weeks notice is long over, if tomorrow they had to fire me to make room in the budget I wouldn't get but five minutes and a walk to the parking lot, my time is just as important as theirs.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:37 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
You won't be leaving your employer in a lurch. I know it feels that way but this happens all the time. You have been with them for 16 years, which is great.

A perfect example is my dad who worked for a company for 33 years. He decided to take an opportunity with another company and gave them two months notice (for the same reason as you). They walked him out. He was pissed they treated him that way.

A company will protect themselves, just like you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment