Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 05:10 PM

440 posts, read 549,681 times

Advertisements

What is the overall view point of Phone sales..... Say anything from a cold call to switch cell phones to a scheduled requested call offering any product...

While in my opinion cannot group them all together , as my MCI days can not be remotley compared to more recent Verizon based endeavors.... Although in business world are call centers or inside sales (strictly phone) considered less prestigious/valuable.

It seems that the more I interview for sales positions most are in a call center type environment ... A lot of my family are considering these to be low level , sort of "taboo" positions however they have no evidience or real reason to back that "feeling" up..Is that just a personal issue spread through out my family or is it a more common thought....

Thanks for listening...

**New to this sub group of city-date, appreciate all the feedback , if need to change anything with my posts just let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Default Opinion of Phone Sales Professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
What is the overall view point of Phone sales..... Say anything from a cold call to switch cell phones to a scheduled requested call offering any product...

While in my opinion cannot group them all together , as my MCI days can not be remotley compared to more recent Verizon based endeavors.... Although in business world are call centers or inside sales (strictly phone) considered less prestigious/valuable.

It seems that the more I interview for sales positions most are in a call center type environment ... A lot of my family are considering these to be low level , sort of "taboo" positions however they have no evidience or real reason to back that "feeling" up..Is that just a personal issue spread through out my family or is it a more common thought....

Thanks for listening...

**New to this sub group of city-date, appreciate all the feedback , if need to change anything with my posts just let me know.

Augie,

Why do you even care what the 'overall view point of Phone sales' is?

If you are providing a service or product people are willing to pay for, what does it matter?

If you are good at it, who cares what anyone thinks? If you are not, pick another type of job.

If you don't want to admit to your friends you are in telephone sales, tell them you are a doctor.

If you let people affect you, it will affect your ability to sell.

And in fact, if you are susceptible to this, then again I suggest you ought not be in sales.

There is nothing 'taboo' about earning money to pay the rent. Unless you are scamming people via the phones. And you certainly don't need an opinion on that.

Your family says phone sales is 'low level'? How do they suggest you take an executive position without taking the necessary steps to build a career?

Opinions are worthless unless you are getting paid to do a survey.

Paul.............

Old 10-13-2015, 08:24 PM

461 posts, read 509,213 times
This type of job is just a stepping stone job like Walmart workers. It is a very difficult job, after all do you pick up for an unknown number and do you stay on the line when you find out it is a sales call? The reason your family looks down on it is because they don't like sales calls either! I worked in a call center once and it was painful with all the people hanging up on me. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to do that again! If this is the only job you can get then take it and don't be ashamed. But knowing how difficult it is you should look elsewhere immediatley.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:22 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Let's see. A job that pesters folks when they're in the middle of something else, trying to force them to buy a product they don't want, that is most likely overpriced and poor quality to begin with, using almost scam like marketing techniques. Computer dialing hundreds/thousands of people over and over is not sales. Sales has more integrity than that.

Old 10-14-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Augie,

Why do you even care what the 'overall view point of Phone sales' is?

If you are providing a service or product people are willing to pay for, what does it matter?

If you are good at it, who cares what anyone thinks? If you are not, pick another type of job.

If you don't want to admit to your friends you are in telephone sales, tell them you are a doctor.

If you let people affect you, it will affect your ability to sell.

And in fact, if you are susceptible to this, then again I suggest you ought not be in sales.

There is nothing 'taboo' about earning money to pay the rent. Unless you are scamming people via the phones. And you certainly don't need an opinion on that.

Your family says phone sales is 'low level'? How do they suggest you take an executive position without taking the necessary steps to build a career?

Opinions are worthless unless you are getting paid to do a survey.

Paul.............

Very well said...Still always seek that validity and strive for a more prestigious career .. Ironically as soon as drop that notion and just put nose to the grinding stone, will get there.

Thank you Paul no idea how much that helped me out... sometime need that outside voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let's see. A job that pesters folks when they're in the middle of something else, trying to force them to buy a product they don't want, that is most likely overpriced and poor quality to begin with, using almost scam like marketing techniques. Computer dialing hundreds/thousands of people over and over is not sales. Sales has more integrity than that.
Well, not that I do not agree, that is not the type of phone sales I was referencing.

This job leads are split 60% direct from the companys' web site ( person must submit info and put in decent amount of effort) 20% are shared leads from a more broad info based web sites, 20% are following up older leads.... The company is a marketing/development company so the people I am calling would have some desire for our services..

Think TNFF proved a valuable point, that phone sales are related to the old telemarketing scams of the 80s-90s...and think that is what gives the negative impression

Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 PM

366 posts, read 730,826 times
I don't have a problem with this at all. At least you'll be dealing primarily with qualified leads. You of course need to know your stuff so you're not caught flatfooted when asked a pertinent question. Who knows, you might like it.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:21 PM

156 posts, read 219,288 times
B2C= Horrible. The average person hates salespeople and doesn't have any disposable income. You'll be getting hung up on all day for small deal sizes.

B2B= Good way to make money without hard skills.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:24 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post
B2C= Horrible. The average person hates salespeople and doesn't have any disposable income. You'll be getting hung up on all day for small deal sizes.

So doing telesales in B2B is better (or easier?) than B2C? I always assumed so, and I feel that businesses would treat you a bit better than some random dude who is in the middle of something.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Exclamation Opinion of Phone Sales Professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
So doing telesales in B2B is better (or easier?) than B2C? I always assumed so, and I feel that businesses would treat you a bit better than some random dude who is in the middle of something.

It is not that cut and dried:

B2C means yes, many people will hang up as soon as you say something that makes it clear you are selling something.

Personally, I have no problem with that since I get to my next call on a very, very long list of calls that much sooner. There is nothing personal about someone hanging up on you. They don't even know you, how could it hurt?

Then you have consumers who will waste your time by being in the conversation with you for a long time, only to finally tell you some reason why they are not ready to buy. Dealing with these types takes knowledge about how these things go since you want to qualify the person as soon as possible but you don't want to shove the product or service down their throat. Knowing when you are not talking to a buyer takes experience. The sooner you know, the sooner you can either close or go on to your next call.

B2B is trickier because just getting to a Purchasing Authority may require you to dodge their administrative assistant, secretary or junior member of the department who is expected to answer the phone.

"Just send us your catalog!" and then they hang up.

Or, you are told either by the admin or someone in the department, maybe even the PA, that since you are not on their vendor list, you are wasting your and their time. And then they hang up on you.

Or, you are told the next vendor selection lottery will be in two years. "Call back then", you are told. And then they hang up on you.

Or, you are told that since you are not on their vendor list, you need to go to http://acme.com/vendorlist/contractselection/donotholdyourbreath and apply to be put on their vendor list the next time they review their contractor list. And then they hang up on you.

Or, the PA slams the phone down on you because he thought you were a major customer and he gulped his coffee/wolfed down his sandwich, thinking it was one of his Fortune customers.

The commissions on the sale of a high-dollar item to be purchased by a corporation is going to be greater than the amount you get for health insurance leads on consumers who agree to take a visit from a health insurance agent.

Unless you are selling coins or metals. Or paintings to doctors. Which will have you calling off a list of people who purchased a boat in the last two years. You can look forward to being hung up on by a lot of boat owners.

If you are meant for Sales, you will eventually find your own comfort level in the niche that works best for you.

Paul.............

Old 10-16-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkIntellect View Post

I personally like B2B MUCH MUCH better, always found that people at work think more logically and typically willing to take some time to hear a pitch, that can better their standing at the company. Having said that getting the correct person or a person that can actually do something is the tricky part not so much the pitch.

Now, what amazes me with B2C is so many people are so quick to dismiss what can help them in their personal life. Also when dealing with B2C , especially with a unscheduled call, your are competing with the cost of TIME.... TIME is sometimes worth more to people than money, so that 15 min to save $50 a month might not be worth it.... or can be as smiple as you called them at a bad time. ( usually bull****)

I have experience in phone sales and know exactly how ****ty and rewarding it can be , a lot has to do with companies tactics.. Good sales quota pressue is part of the job and most sales oriented people expect and welcome the chalange... However when the company starts to put unrealistic expectations along tied with strong arm tactics where becomes shady...

This position is unique in a sense that while its B2C, its for a product idea the consumer has.. So technically I am helping a consumer with a potential business idea...... I just was so happy when I got out of a toxic phone sales environment , More and likey will take this job , Hoping that the managment and company have actually support systems in place and not a churn and burn factory.

TIME WILL TELL>....

Welcome as much feedback as possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment