Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times

Advertisements

I got into a heated argument with a coworker. Our supervisor was there. Now, this coworker is kind of stupid, doesn't know her job, but I'm not going into details. Anyway, this was a discussion about something so trivial, but she just didn't want to listen and kept talking over me. Our voices got loud (especially mine - hate to admit, but I've got a temper!) and at one point I brought my hand up into a fist. Supervisor then began yelling at me, insinuating that I was threatening! I was mad, but not to where I'd resort to striking.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
The work place environment was already hostile with loud voices and a raised fist can be considered a threat of violence to others so there was no "insinuation" at that point it was/is fact.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:05 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,720,617 times
In the context you described, yes.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:17 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
What do you mean by the phrase, "brought my hand up into a fist?" Did you clench your fist, raise it in the air, gesture toward her with it, kokk it back as though to strike... more detail would be helpful, but yes, at first read, it does sound like something that could have been considered a threatening gesture. In some circumstances, that could legally constitute assault.

At any rate, try as I might, I can not even begin to imagine any conceivable circumstances in which such a gesture could be considered remotely appropriate in a professional interaction.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,476,683 times
Anytime you yell and clench your fist it is threatening, esp. doing that to a woman, IMO.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,059 times
Yes, it's threatening.

Granted, I grew up in Korea where it's not unheard of to have superiors yell and scream at you as well as hit you and slap you, etc.

More recently, this happened with a Korean Airlines female executive (who is also the daugher of the chairman) where she was in first class on a flight and the flight attendant served her macademia nuts incorrectly (the flight attendant didn't open the bag and serve the nuts on a plate but instead served the unopened bag on a plate). The executive went nuts (no pun intended) and asked to see the head flight attendant and made him kneel in front of her on the plane while she yelled at him. He also asked to see the training guide and repeatedly hit him on the head with the booklet as he was kneeling in front of her. She then turned the plane around and kicked him off the flight.

Yes, it was a bit too far and the executive resigned due to social pressure. This is not an isolated incident though...this happens every day.

So country and context is important. In Korea, a raised clenched fist wouldn't be much but here in the USA, it is a threatening move and you will likely be fired. It is an HR liability and the woman doesn't even have to file a complaint if others saw it.

Korean Air ex-VP likely to face trial for ‘nut rage’ incident – The Korea Times

Last edited by RVD90277; 12-17-2014 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-17-2014, 12:29 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Sounds a bit scary to be so upset you bring your hand up into a fist like gesture, the implication that one would hit the other person.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I got into a heated argument with a coworker. Our supervisor was there. Now, this coworker is kind of stupid, doesn't know her job, but I'm not going into details. Anyway, this was a discussion about something so trivial, but she just didn't want to listen and kept talking over me. Our voices got loud (especially mine - hate to admit, but I've got a temper!) and at one point I brought my hand up into a fist. Supervisor then began yelling at me, insinuating that I was threatening! I was mad, but not to where I'd resort to striking.
Rick, if you got away without being fired for raising your fist, you are on the receiving end of an undeserved miracle. This is technically considered assault. If your supe is smart, he would have canned you on the spot because of the policies in place against workplace violence. Guess how easy it would be for you to find your next job.

Don't count your blessings yet. Your co-worker has every right to file a complaint for assault. Even if the criminal charges go nowhere, she can bring civil charges. And she has an unimpeachable witness - your manager.

Brace yourself. It's not over yet.

Who did you call the stupid one in this scenario?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:33 AM

49 posts, read 68,859 times
Better hope there's no lawsuit.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,668,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Yes it's threatening and you should be worried about getting fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment