Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:12 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,904 times

Advertisements

I've worked in marketing since graduating from college. I worked as a content writer for two small businesses before landing my current job as a copywriter for a large corporation.

What I've come to realize is that marketing/copywriting is not the field to be in if you want to write a lot. It's really about using the fewest words possible to get people to buy stuff. "Less is more" seems to be the motto that marketers live by.

What kinds of writing jobs require extensive writing -- not just writing short, snappy blurbs; copy editing; and proofreading; but constructing original text, and lots of it? Do any of the below fit the bill?

-Technical writing?
-Grant writing?
-Proposal writing?
-Science/medical writing?
-Journalist?
-Communications/PR?
-Any others?

I want my next job to be writing intensive. I want to write reports, white papers, correspondence, letters -- not just slap two or three words on an ad and call it a day. I actually enjoyed writing ten-page papers in college.

The fact my current job hardly allows me to do any actual writing (thanks to an old school, change-resistant boss and the fact my dept reprints the same materials over and over again) is driving me batty.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 11-10-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 03:15 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
I used to have a job as a writer. I won't go into details, but writing was the easy part of the job. You also had to have something to say. That was the hard part.

What is your field of expertise? Look in that direction.

Old 11-10-2015, 03:52 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I used to have a job as a writer. I won't go into details, but writing was the easy part of the job. You also had to have something to say. That was the hard part.

What is your field of expertise? Look in that direction.
Exactly. Most of the categories you listed require subject matter expertise. You have to know the subject matter before you can worry about how it's being communicated.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Exactly. Most of the categories you listed require subject matter expertise. You have to know the subject matter before you can worry about how it's being communicated.
I worked for two different hotel booking sites (like hotels.com, only a lot smaller) before coming to my current employer, which is a big fish in the timeshare industry. So the common thread is lodging/travel.

I enjoy working in this industry, but I think loving what you do carries more weight than the actual sector itself.

For example, most people would love the opportunity to work for Walt Disney World. If they want to do something that relates to rides and attractions but find themselves holed up in an office analyzing spreadsheets, will they really be happy despite technically being in their industry of choice? Probably not. Your position and the work you do make all the difference.

And, yes, if you're lucky enough, you might have the chance to transition to a different department or role that more closely aligns with whatever it is you want to do, but such opportunities sometimes evade people. If that weren't the case, everyone would remain in the same company their whole lives.

The ideal thing would be to find an opportunity within my company/industry that suits my interests, but if I find a writing position in an unrelated industry in which I can write more freely -- with less red tape to get in my way -- I'll most definitely apply. I can always learn the ins and outs of the industry on my own. After all, I love learning new things.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:22 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
You mentioned grant writing as a possibility. Keep in mind that with grant writing, the applications are very persnickety with fussy instructions dictating how many words have to be in responses. You have to be very narrowly focused on answering extremely specific questions, with a writing style that's at the pleasure of the grantor and not you, the grant writer.

Writing a grant can be a creative endeavor, but it's creative in the sense of trying to present your idea in the best light, rather than having lots of latitude to create a literary work that showcases your unique writing style. If you're wanting to be extremely creative and free of red tape with your writing style, I'm afraid you would be in for some disappointment if you're writing grants all day long.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-10-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 05:30 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Technical writing can be quite interesting. It could involve writing user guides or procedure manuals, online help, internal intranet content, all sorts of things. If you can use an html editor and enjoy learning software and/or multimedia tools, it might be a good fit for you. The Society for Technical Communication is a terrific source of info: STC.org

Mind you, I just saw what you said about desiring "less red tape"... technical writers often need to have insurance against "errors and omissions" in what they produce, because a lot of responsibility can be invested in what they write. Can you imagine writing a procedure manual for a medical device that contains errors and results in accidental injuries or deaths? So, consider the options carefully.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:26 PM

I've decided that for my next job, I want a writing-intensive position -- one that emphasizes specialized knowledge over creativity. That might mean working for a bank, mortgage/mutual funds company, real estate valuation firm, etc. In other words, I'd be writing about subjects most people find dry and dull, but I don't care.

After working in marketing for several years, I've realized that:

- Marketing isn't about writing a lot, but making it short and sweet to sell products
- I'd rather explain/educate through my writing than try to be witty/snappy
- I like writing a lot -- and formally. I'm not really a creative writer, and I couldn't care less about making copy fun and humorous
- In marketing/advertising, where you're dealing mostly with short blurbs, ads, and headlines, everyone thinks they can write. In my department, even the graphic designer tries to get his nose in the copy. It's a totally different ballgame when you have to write reports and other documents that require specialized knowledge.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:04 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Technical writing sounds like it would be more up your alley. I write marketing copy, and while some of it can be long, most needs to be concise. My writing style is more snappy and conversational, so I feel like I might die of boredom when I need to write longer, purely informative copy, but it sounds like that sort of thing us more your preference. Good thing we writers come in all different styles!

Old 11-14-2015, 07:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Why not take up content writing on your own time and get your writing fix that way? I make a fairly nice supplemental income doing this (was doing it full time but started going stir crazy and had to find a job that got me out of the house).

Old 11-14-2015, 08:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I've worked in marketing since graduating from college. I worked as a content writer for two small businesses before landing my current job as a copywriter for a large corporation.

What I've come to realize is that marketing/copywriting is not the field to be in if you want to write a lot. It's really about using the fewest words possible to get people to buy stuff. "Less is more" seems to be the motto that marketers live by.

What kinds of writing jobs require extensive writing -- not just writing short, snappy blurbs; copy editing; and proofreading; but constructing original text, and lots of it? Do any of the below fit the bill?

-Technical writing?
-Grant writing?
-Proposal writing?
-Science/medical writing?
-Journalist?
-Communications/PR?
-Any others?

I want my next job to be writing intensive. I want to write reports, white papers, correspondence, letters -- not just slap two or three words on an ad and call it a day. I actually enjoyed writing ten-page papers in college.

The fact my current job hardly allows me to do any actual writing (thanks to an old school, change-resistant boss and the fact my dept reprints the same materials over and over again) is driving me batty.
Certain kinds of Law require lots and lots of very precise, accurate writing. Maybe look in to a Law degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment