Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:16 PM

174 posts, read 283,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The thing is this will be in your mind down the road if there are unrelated conflicts.
Yes. Any ideas how to handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 01:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
All you need to know from a new manager is whether they are looking to keep you or push you out. Any signs of tension or mistrust should be perceived as a new manager trying to test you as well put you in bad position to be demoted or marginalized.

I don't ever care about what a manager does or says until I see actions just as rewarding or marginalizing me. If a manager wants to push me out, I can play along just fine just be ready when the time comes that you may need to change jobs soon and this is not a bad time to change jobs.

Sometimes I wonder why companies allow their management to play games with employees. It's counter-production to everyone and it's a waste of money. The employee that feels betrayed by his/her manager is not going to be working hard. Companies pay millions every year due to turn overs.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Is this your first job?

If your manager has only been there three months, his manager will obviously know he was not responsible for things that happened before he arrived.

That being said, the actual end of the year performance review documentation, in my experience as a hiring manager in large corporations, is useless. People spend a lot of time documenting why they were so great; yet their manager has already decided how they will rank them. I've never seen someone change their opinion based on what the employee documented.
Exactly! I was a manager for a while, we had to make our evaluation and hand assessments to HR to keep on file, it was primarily pulled out only in the event of dismissal. My new boss and I are on the same page and I'm now on the other side of the desk, I take my "generic" assessment from the previous year and change the date, it hasn't been an issue and hasn't effected my reviews. My advice, don't waste a lot of time on these things, keep you goals simple and don't promise too much, mind your own business on things you have no control over.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 AM

108 posts, read 157,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoblessinNYC View Post
UTCO94 - don't worry, I have been looking for job #7 for a while, even before this guy joined. And it's not petty to call a manager out for trying to take credit for my job. Of course I do not trust him.
How did he try to take credit for your work? That line of thinking is why you're looking for #7. Managers are generally rated based on the work product of the people that work for them. They get "credit" for "your" work anyway - I'm dumbfounded that you don't realize this.

You know how you handle it? Deal in reality, not imaginary scenarios you've created out of thin air.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:26 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCO94 View Post
How did he try to take credit for your work? That line of thinking is why you're looking for #7. Managers are generally rated based on the work product of the people that work for them. They get "credit" for "your" work anyway - I'm dumbfounded that you don't realize this.

You know how you handle it? Deal in reality, not imaginary scenarios you've created out of thin air.
Exactly! That's what management is, getting results through people. Which is why managers can also get canned for their subordinate's lack of performance. Newsflash, your CEO is judged on the entire organization's accomplishments. Do you really think he/she does all of the work - or is only rated based on the specific tasks they have done?

Old 11-22-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Exactly! That's what management is, getting results through people. Which is why managers can also get canned for their subordinate's lack of performance. Newsflash, your CEO is judged on the entire organization's accomplishments. Do you really think he/she does all of the work - or is only rated based on the specific tasks they have done?
I think that managers should use their own brainpower as to what to put in their performance evaluation forms, not copy things from their subordinates. And when they disclose to the subordinates that they are copying their achievements, that hurts their credibility.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTCO94 View Post

I am looking for #7 for a lot of reasons, the one you have mentioned being just recently added to the list. Putting my goals as his own and saying that he managed the process, even though for most of the year it was somebody else, does not add to his credibility. His peers did not want to share their goals with him either, which does not help. And whatever you think, credibility of managers to their subordinates matters: as I mentioned in the original post, we just lost 25% of the team, and it's a recurring situation.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:38 AM

108 posts, read 157,780 times
You've obviously got your mind set on making this an issue - despite the fact that it was his boss' responsibility to load objectives for your new manager.

It's readily apparent that nobody at your company really cares about these evaluations, all they're doing is filling in boxes.

Good luck with the job hunt. For your sake, I hope it's based on something more grounded in reality than this scenario you've concocted.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:42 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Your achievements are his achievements, that's the way it works. Your only job as an employee, with regards to your manager, is to make his job easier. Embrace it and spin it to your advantage.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
But at this moment you have no evidence that he actually took credit for your work, right? Just a suspicion?

Keep your eyes and ears on the situation and don't prejudge.

If this guy comes to discuss stuff with you, you have a good opportunity to steer that relationship in a positive direction. Why waste it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment