Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM

455 posts, read 388,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I don't know why this is such a difficult concept. Protecting the company often means advocating for employees (i.e. advising management against certain actions, advocating for various quality of work life initiatives, or enforcing employment laws that protect employees).
My point exactly. But I fear these concepts are too advanced for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
HR is a fluff position that came about due to requirements of the insurance industry, mostly . . .
Not sure what their job is. It changes with the issue. Whatever borishness they create for themselves to justify that being a position or whatever dirtywork a dept manager tells them to engage in. My experience with HR is that they exist to fight you on vacation time/benefits, and make sure "the company" looks good in any possible legal dealings, so it requires one to be a good liar and factual manipulator. Sometimes I really miss the 70's . . . The time before HR, the time when a manager hired you--you knew a lot more about what you were getting in to.
It's the 70's you would have been thrown out on your asset for whatever reason, even illegal ones. Your black, you;re fired, you're a woman, your fired, your disabled, you're fired, got kids, you're fired. Hr is here to protect everyone assuming the company is reputable. Yes, I work with managers who don't stand on the moral high ground, they think I don't know who they are but I do. And I tell you this, when the sh*& hits the fan I am the first one to stand up and say that they were advised and provided legal options but chose to not take those recommendations so open the pocket book.
In the 70's, a company probably wouldn't pay your salary, travel arrangements, housing and medical treatments if you got really sick either. I help employee's get company grants (not loans) for when something goes terribly wrong. If that makes the company look good, shame on us.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:10 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
My point exactly. But I fear these concepts are too advanced for some.
LOL!!! Thanks for the much needed laugh from your post.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
It's the 70's you would have been thrown out on your asset for whatever reason, even illegal ones. Your black, you;re fired, you're a woman, your fired, your disabled, you're fired, got kids, you're fired. Hr is here to protect everyone assuming the company is reputable. Yes, I work with managers who don't stand on the moral high ground, they think I don't know who they are but I do. And I tell you this, when the sh*& hits the fan I am the first one to stand up and say that they were advised and provided legal options but chose to not take those recommendations so open the pocket book.
In the 70's, a company probably wouldn't pay your salary, travel arrangements, housing and medical treatments if you got really sick either. I help employee's get company grants (not loans) for when something goes terribly wrong. If that makes the company look good, shame on us.
Wow, you really drank the kool-aid on corporate rhetoric. Only someone who works in HR that has been indoctrinated with that kind of misinformation can say that with a straight face. You are grossly overstating your importance to the company from within the safety of HR where you don't actually do any company work. You think a manager cares what you think of them, when you work for the management? You are a cook in the kitchen, and management is the owner of the joint.

If you get really sick, it isn't the company, it is the insurance for short-term disability, long-term disability that provides those things. Not the company. And it is all out of the result of Unions which is why we have vacation pay, sick pay, and benefits, not the company. The company does things when they are forced to do them by an outside source by law or competition, not HR. You can't take credit for something which has been forced on you to do. You are going to start taking credit for FICA now because the company pays into it, which is required by law too.

You are the first one to stand-up and say or do what exactly? What impact have you actually had? Unless you are chairman of the board or the CEO, you have no impact on anything from HR on what the company does or doesn't do for the benefit of employees. The only warning you do in HR, is to remind them that they could get sued by their actions or how it will make them look. Not how it is going to personally impact an employee.

There are plenty of examples of companies now and in the 1970s that did right by people and it didn't come from HR, it came directly from the owner or CEO of the company being directly observant.

This is why so many companies use contractors because it by-passes HR entirely.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,526 times
Quote:

Nah . . . too easy

Old 12-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I don't think your post is serious.
Sadly for you, my post is very serious. But is very telling that you unfortunately have worked for crummy companies that haven't treated you very well. I have worked for some pretty crummy companies too so I know the difference. Thankfully I get to be the good guy because that is what my company tells me to be. I don't think I would make it far working for your company.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Sadly for you, my post is very serious. But is very telling that you unfortunately have worked for crummy companies that haven't treated you very well. I have worked for some pretty crummy companies too so I know the difference. Thankfully I get to be the good guy because that is what my company tells me to be. I don't think I would make it far working for your company.
Sadly for you personally because you have completely operated under delusions of grandeur about your place and its positive effectiveness working in HR for the employee. At best HR is there to process resumes doing patterning matching using keywords, helping employees understand their benefits, and if they are relocated to another location help with that. But in most companies now that is also out-sourced to a relocation company. Many companies use ADP to process payroll so HR is more out of the loop there too.

Your speech about how you "stand up and...", are there to question a hiring manager if they made a thoughtful decision is just part of an example of the delusions you have about working in HR as being the protector of employees and applicants, and that your role is even taken seriously outside of HR. I don't care how great the HR department in any company is, no one is coming to work for that company because of its HR unless they will work in HR. The company's customers aren't doing business with them buying their products or services because of HR. The loans approved by the banks to the company for expansion don't involve an assessment of HR. I've never heard or read anywhere where management has credited HR with the success of their company by finding the right people for the jobs.

You want to be a HR hero? A real one? Starting answering a simple question when applicants ask you:

What is the salary range of this position?

The answer shouldn't be anything but a number. Don't lie and say "I don't know". Don't waste their time and say "That will be covered in the interview" or "That will be covered when we make an offer" or "Our salaries are competitive" or any other number of lies.

You don't do those things? Well, then post the name of your company with your contact information so you can get the best candidates for your company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment