Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:57 PM

536 posts, read 413,700 times

Advertisements

I am looking for trucking companies that will train me to get my cdl and then either work for them or help me find work. I found some that want money down to train me but I can't do that. The one I found that would train me then let me work for them to pay them back turned me down because of my work history or lack thereof.So please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Why on earth would they train you when there are tons out drivers who already have clean CDL's and years of experience looking for jobs? Of course they want upfront money, otherwise you'll just get the CDL and bolt to a different company.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
UPS will do it but you'll have to work part time at one of their distribution centers for a while....ifya get lucky....real lucky....

Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
UPS will do it but you'll have to work part time at one of their distribution centers for a while....ifya get lucky....real lucky....
My brother worked for UPS on the line for over 10 years before they allowed him to drive a Brownie--not a tractor trailer. He got to work as a sub for almost five years, in other words he never knew if he'd be driving or on the line. While he was on the line he was able to work a p/t day job as well. Not so with driving, and line work was only 20-30 hours a week. So once he started driving (sometimes) he had to quit the other job. Long story short, he couldn't afford to wait for a full time driving job to open, and had to quit for another line of work.

You only need a auto operators license to drive a brownie truck. There is no training, just a "road test" of sorts to make sure you can drive without getting into an accident. UPS doesn't train for CDL's, they hire experienced CDL drivers.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,742,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
I am looking for trucking companies that will train me to get my cdl and then either work for them or help me find work. I found some that want money down to train me but I can't do that. The one I found that would train me then let me work for them to pay them back turned me down because of my work history or lack thereof.So please help!
Trucking companies that offer training will want you to work for them for at least 18 months after you are trained. They also usually pay the least per mile.

I would recommend finding a community college that offers CDL training and go there. That is the cheapest rout and you wont be tied to one company.

As said before there are a lot of qualified drivers out of work in many areas, so you might want to do some research on the job situation in your area.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM

33 posts, read 197,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post

It depends on your situation. Before you commit to anything, you need to check it out. I am in the process of considering going allowing a truck company to sponsor me, but it is my last resort. I am about to be laid off of my in April. I have mortgage, and bills to pay. I am also single with no kids. I can get a friend to house sit for me while I am training.

If you want to attend one of those sponsored training programs, then you need to study for your permit, and educate yourself on over the road the trucking. Make sure it is something you can commit to.

I seriously doubt you have too many options when it comes to a career, or else you wouldn't be considering going to a company sponsored CDL training school.

Make sure that you are honest on your application. If you have DUIs, multiple moving violations, a criminal record, a history of failing a drug test on your job, a less than honorable discharge from the military, or less than 36 months of employment without gaps, then you probably won't be considered. If you lie on the application in order to make yourself look qualified, and the background findings exposes your lies, you will either not be accepted, or if you are accepted before the background check is done, you will have pay for the training that was provided.

OTR trucking has a high turn over rate, because most people can't stand be away from home for long periods of time. If you're single and don't have kids, then do it. If you have other options, then don't do it.

Like one of the posters said...
You're pay is going to be crappy for the first 12-18 months, but everyone has to put in their dues.

If you can find a community college that will train you for your CDL, then by all means take advantage of it. Remember, that money is coming out of your pocket. If you're in my situation, you can't pell grants, due to your salary, then you have to take out loans (federal or private). It's money that you have to pay back. If I qualified for pell grants, then I wouldn't be willing to sign a contract for trucking company to own my butt for 12 months.

It just depends on your situation and how bad you need a job.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 54,570 times
there are two companies that train one is pam transport in tontitown arkansas. the other is schnieder the number is 180044pride

Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patersn View Post
there are two companies that train one is pam transport in tontitown arkansas. the other is schnieder the number is 180044pride
I believe that Schneider quit hiring student drivers last year (or at least closed their in-house school) I don't know if PAM Transportation is still training students or not.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:49 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
TrueIsraelite, pay close attention to the posts above! Trucking's a TOUGH way way to (barely) make a living!!! I've done it for almost 14 years. I TRULY love it. But it's probably one of the most difficult jobs in America. There are plenty of false promises and scams out here on the Big Road....BE CAREFUL!!! There are lots of good threads already on here about entry-level trucking jobs. Take some time to do a search ("SEARCH" function on the tool bar at the top of your C-D page) and read some of the excellent posts in them. As RedNC says, the best way to get a CDL is pay for it yourself through a community college. That way you don't become the indentured servant of the company that paid for your training (and rightfully wants their investment back) The only thing a truck driving school will teach you is how to pas the BMV test; you REALLY learn how to be a good driver behind the wheel and after MANY years. (and, even with almost 1 million safe miles behind me, I'm not there yet...)

I've been with the same large truckload carrier for my whole career. They've been good to me. And while I consider them one of the best in what's truly the worst segment of the the trucking industry (thanks to deregulation), they play the same games with drivers that all of the big carriers play. I was fortunate to work my way onto what (for me, anyway) is one of the best deals in trucking. (Also IMHO!) I'm on a dedicated account. I deal with the same (great) customers all the time. I have a dispatch offfice that treats me well. And we run good, well-maintained equipment.

It may take you a while to find your "niche". And you'll have to pay some hefty dues along the way. But if you find you truly enjoy trucking (you'll know if you're addicted pretty quickly...), there is an ideal situation for everyone who loves holding a steering wheel. Just use some common sense and keep your eyes & ears open along the way. Best of luck!

EXCELLENT resource: www.ooida.com

Last edited by Crew Chief; 03-20-2010 at 02:04 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 54,207 times
Default Hi

mname is danny and i have an situation that i already have my cdl's.i went to an cdl school back in 2003.i got my cdl so i could have an extra back bone besides my current job as an welder..in 2004 i got laid off my job so i started driving...i first started out with swift,of course they trained me for 6 weeks over the road,that was my first time ever leaving ga. an it was very hard on me but as weeks went by i had stared to like it. so after they assigned me my own truck,things started to change,it was like i had started all over again but i was by myself.i didnt know all the game ropes of the dispatcher,they would send me out of my region alot of times,h me sitting long periods of times waiting on load assignments(an whole day) some times,,so 3 months later i quite,so i went to KLLM transportation,they treated me nice but me and my dispatcher would have disagreements sometimes about driving my truck home. most of the time i would past rite by my house on the way back to the yard to drop my truck off.so instead of mejust stopping at home,i had to go 50 miles past my house to drop the truck off and have someone to come and get me instead of just stopping at home with the truck. so after 6 months with them i leff them for that reason and my last truck company i worked for was jb hunt...they treated me really well but the reason i leff them was that i made an mistake an past an weight station in augusta on 20E bound..it was 3am in the morning..i had got up on it before i knowed it,i slowed up but i didnt hav anywhere to turn around,my plans was to go up the next exit to come back but the dot came behind me so i had to turn around and go back..they gave me an ticket..i waited around too lonto pay the ticket so my lisence got suspended for 2days because i hurried up and paid the ticket..that was my fault but they took my hazmate endorsement,now i just have an regulare cdl liscense..so i went back to my previouse employer i had been with since 1995 until 2004,i went back to welding. so last year i got laid off that job. ive been trying to find another job but aint nobody hiring anywhere so ive decided to go back driving...most companies wont hire me because i dont have recent driving experience o everybody is telling me no..but i had one company that accepted my application but i would have to go to Arkansa for my refresher course but i would have to pay 250.00...then i would have to go to texas for an orentation then go over the road with an trainer for 3 or 6 weeks..done forgot but i would lie to know is that an good deal? my plns are to drive with someone for about an year then least to own an truck. the company that wants to hire me is FFE tansportation. i would like to know what nis your advise about the 250.00 refresher course with this company and the lease to own my own truck after an year... sorry for writing an book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment