Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 PM

185 posts, read 134,254 times

Advertisements

My place of employment is highly dysfunctional, toxic, and the turnover rate is very high. I have actually been told my manager that I should start looking for another job asap things are not expected to improve.

I am almost to the point of leaving without a job lined up. However, the practical part of me so far has been squashing the urge as I know that unemployment is stress of another variety. It is getting harder and harder to squash the quit urge though. I try to relax during my lunch break and after work but it is not enough.

I know I should have done something long before I reached this point. I need to find good ways to cope until I hopefully get another job. Focusing on the paycheck is just not cutting it anymore. Anyone else ever gotten to the place that I am in now but still manage to hold on until you find a new job? How do cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:08 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
Kept trying for almost 2 years. In one occassion my boss arranged with someone at the other company to not get the job so I fall back to him. For me it is not just coping, but even if I find some place to go I am pulled back against my will. OK, it happened on one occassion, but it is bad enough.
I dont know how to cope. Just try to stay sane as long as you can.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:59 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Short answer, no. I've been where you are, and I finally quit. No other job lined up. I found that the stressors of unemployment were more easily handled than the stresses of a job that was killing me.

If you have money put away to make the break, I'm in the "do it" camp.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:26 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
I find that not caring about whether I get fired from my job is quite liberating and less stressful so that's how I used to deal with it: act like you're a short-timer.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I find that not caring about whether I get fired from my job is quite liberating and less stressful so that's how I used to deal with it: act like you're a short-timer.
+1, exactly what I was going to say.

Relax OP. Why be stressed when you know you aren't going to be there for long (either by their doing or yours)?

Just go in, don't care, and have fun. There's nothing that should give you stress when you don't care.

Best of luck.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:20 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I've been there, so I feel your pain. Eventually I quit w/o a job lined up. Just wasn't worth the headaches. There's no "toughing" it out in situations like these. Your boss is apparently aware of the conditions there. I wonder if he/she can "excuse" you, so you could at least get unemployment? Hang in there as long as you can tolerate. But, I'd be out of there.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:57 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
My place of employment is highly dysfunctional, toxic, and the turnover rate is very high. I have actually been told my manager that I should start looking for another job asap things are not expected to improve.

I am almost to the point of leaving without a job lined up. However, the practical part of me so far has been squashing the urge as I know that unemployment is stress of another variety. It is getting harder and harder to squash the quit urge though. I try to relax during my lunch break and after work but it is not enough.

I know I should have done something long before I reached this point. I need to find good ways to cope until I hopefully get another job. Focusing on the paycheck is just not cutting it anymore. Anyone else ever gotten to the place that I am in now but still manage to hold on until you find a new job? How do cope?

Well only you know your financial situation. Can you afford to go without having an income for say 6 months without it being an issue? if the answer is no, than you can't quit.

It sounds like from what your boss said they might let people go, let them lay you off, in the meantime get cracking on looking for a new job, and don't do the "I will wait until after the Holidays" nonsense, I got hired for 3 different jobs in Dec and started in Jan. Many people hold off looking when they could get hired in Dec and start the new year off with a new job.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:56 PM

393 posts, read 360,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Kept trying for almost 2 years. In one occassion my boss arranged with someone at the other company to not get the job so I fall back to him. For me it is not just coping, but even if I find some place to go I am pulled back against my will. OK, it happened on one occassion, but it is bad enough.
I dont know how to cope. Just try to stay sane as long as you can.
I would either sue him or have him killed
whichever cost less

Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
Quote:

I've been in this situation for years now. The only good thing I can say in my case is, the job has become more tolerable in recent times, but I still hate it there and keep trying to find a way out. I'm not sure what advice to give, as when things were at their absolute worst I felt exactly like you and had no idea how to cope. Work should not do this to us, but it seems like it does for so many.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:

Been there.. took about 2 years to find another job.

I know it's hard but do not quit until you have another job lined up, for many reasons...

The main reason to not quit until you have another job lined up:
It does not look good to a potential employer when you do.
You will look flighty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment