Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 04:15 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,907,796 times

Advertisements

I don't like a white shirt with a black suit - looks too wait-staffy. I'd go with a nuetral color - like a pale pink, pale blue maybe even cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,235,015 times
I would pick a basic tank in a flattering color. If white looks great on you, fine, but it's a hard color to wear for a lot of people. People won't remember exactly what you wore, but they will remember if you looked good. Not meaning focused on your looks in a negative way, just that wearing flattering colors brings your face to life and makes people want to focus on you while you are presenting.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:23 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,269,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
This is not necessarily true. In many tech areas you would really stand out wearing a suit. In fact, it could be seen you are not aware/appreciative of the culture. I've been in many tech meetings with C-level people and maybe the guys dress up jeans with a blazer. Or maybe they wear a polo instead of a t-shirt. It is best to know what your audience expects.
Less issues for women here unless they are severely formal. A man can get away with a blazer and a collared shirt in even tech cultures if they are senior - it's the suit and tie that sticks out.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times
Its always better to be overdressed than underdressed whether its a social situation or a work situation.

The advantage to the suit is if you find you are overdressed, as a woman, you can always either roll or push the sleeves up to elbow length to make it less formal or take the jacket off altogether as long as you made sure what you have underneath is appropriate on its on.

One more reason I prefer a sleeveless or short sleeve shell rather than a shirt or blouse.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 PM

12,863 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
This is not necessarily true. In many tech areas you would really stand out wearing a suit. In fact, it could be seen you are not aware/appreciative of the culture. I've been in many tech meetings with C-level people and maybe the guys dress up jeans with a blazer. Or maybe they wear a polo instead of a t-shirt. It is best to know what your audience expects.
Couple of funny things on this. When I was in Colorado, we could always tell when some out of town VIPs were visiting because they were the ones dressed in suit and tie for the men or skirt suit for the women while we were in parkas. While I know the meetings were inside, that still didn't help when they were trudging through the parking lot to the building, or fell down when they tried to walk in heels on ice.

Speaking of heels, my current job actually sends out a "what not to wear" list to visitors coming in specifically focusing on women's footwear. Those fashion Prada's might look good in the board room, but will break your neck on the plant floor. And you really don't want to be left out of those walking discussions because of your footwear.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,779,807 times
There is an old rule in the Corporate World.

When going to important meetings, always dress 2 levels above your current position. Makes you stand out, and are ready for the next promotion.

Dress at or below your present position, and you show you are only good enough for where you are, and it is difficult to convince them otherwise.

Having been as high in the corporate world as division sales manager for a division that covered western half of U.S. I can attest this was the best advice I ever received when I went into the corporate world.

As you are the one that is making the presentation, you want a very professional appearance a couple of notches above your present position. It says I am professional, and good at what I do and you should listen to me.

Quote:
One more reason I prefer a sleeveless or short sleeve shell rather than a shirt or blouse.
For what you are trying to do, this is not good advice. What you should do, is go to a quality ladies store, find a clerk that has been there for years, and is used to a advising her quality clients. Take her advice. The shell turns down your suit. The proper blouse for a lady, will tone it up to your being a real up and coming professional. Shoes may involve 2 pair. The ones used when you are making the presentation, such as you have purchased. A pair of good athletic walking shoes, you can slip on if the weather is bad for between the car and the building, and if you are going for a tour of the factory, etc., you can slip on the comfortable safer walking shoe just before you go. Color Black, not white.

This shoe change says, I am a professional and am prepared for all conditions. You will get respected for doing so.

This is the kind of advice I gave women that worked for me, and it worked well for them.

Your black suit is one you can wear to more than one meeting, as long as you change blouses that give you a different look. The blouse will stand out and draw eyes away from the suit. A white shirt is the best for a man, but women can have a little color. Just make sure it does not show cleavage which will distract people from what you are trying to present to them.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
Why is so much advice geared toward women being sure not to "show cleavage"? ANY woman who is at the level of presenting at a C-level meeting knows THAT! The OP was asking for much more nuanced advice on the blouse appropriate. I think too many men are just hoping against hope to see something that they think women are always on the verge of whipping out the girls!

Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,450,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There is an old rule in the Corporate World.

When going to important meetings, always dress 2 levels above your current position. Makes you stand out, and are ready for the next promotion.

As you are the one that is making the presentation, you want a very professional appearance a couple of notches above your present position. It says I am professional, and good at what I do and you should listen to me.

This is the kind of advice I gave women that worked for me, and it worked well for them.

Hope this helps.

And, this is really the crux of it. How do the successful female managers/executives dress in your company. That should be your model.

The old dress like a man style for women from the eighties is pretty much dead in all but the most conservative professions. Don't follow it too rigidly if women don't dress like that in your company. It can actually make you look stuffy/out of date.

I'm sure that if you shop at Saks you can find either a blouse or a shell that is polished/professional and that either will be fine. Most important is something that makes you feel confident and relaxed.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,268,598 times
Since you are the presenter, dress how the other female executives dress so they are not focusing on your attire (as they accustomed to this) but on your material.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,421,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
go in naked
Hmmm....that would leave a lasting impression. I'll think about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment