Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times

Advertisements

I am a retire Union Electrician and if I made more than you? #1. your skill sets must be limited or NOT in demand.. #2. you live in a Low Tech Corridor #3. No one wants to hire you because your too old and your technology is lacking? By and large Americans HATE The Union Workers who gave them a strong middle class and now most tradesmen are non-union and make $40K a year and have few if any benefits .. No Real Pensions or Retirement savings plan and PP Health Care Coverage. Big Business and Faux News blamed Unions for the theft's that should have been attributed to the....Big Business Elite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
There are plenty of successful millineals in our society that are doing just fine.

As for the men. Most men are going into trades now as welders, electricians, and plumbers instead of going to college. Those trades pay decent money in fact some of these jobs pay better than most professional white collar jobs. I know an electrician who makes more than I do as a chemist.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:16 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
This is what happens when you tell an entire generation that they're special, give them participation trophies just for showing up, coddle them at every turn, and then expect them to make it on their own in the real world. For every "standout" millennial making decent money, there are at least 5 to 6 losers who will never amount to anything. Sorriest generation in history, especially the males who are being outshone by their female counterparts in just about every area of life.
As a millennial I don't remember being treated like that. No one praised me for "showing up," I never got any trophies for anything I didn't place 1st, 2nd or 3rd in.

In fact I remember some of my high school teachers saying I wouldn't amount to anything. I specifically remember my 9th grade algebra teacher saying "you better memorize the phrase, 'you want to supersize that?'" if I couldn't pass his class. I did pass but his remarks did not motivate me, it was my friends who helped.

We got some positive reinforcement but it wasn't to excess. What do you propose when a kid is not the top 10% at something? Should we tear him or her down, say he'll never amount to anything? We already have a problem with youth depression and suicides, we don't need more of that.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The older folk have no idea what milennials go through today in the job market. It wasn't like in their day when they could just waltz right in to some upper level management job right out of college or have job security at the same place for 30+ years with great pay, benefits, and job options or during their day when one income could support a family of 4
Of course they don't ... probably because they couldn't live in their parents basement, get an allowance until they were 30, smoke weed and play video games all day. Instead they went off to fight the Japanese and the Germans getting paid 50 or $60 a month (that's $7,000 or $8,000 a year in 2015 dollars). And more than 400,000 of them did not come home alive.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 PM

34,057 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Of course they don't ... probably because they couldn't live in their parents basement, get an allowance until they were 30, smoke weed and play video games all day. Instead they went off to fight the Japanese and the Germans getting paid 50 or $60 a month (that's $7,000 or $8,000 a year in 2015 dollars). And more than 400,000 of them did not come home alive.

Amen.

They were too busy doing to whine.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
As a millennial I don't remember being treated like that. No one praised me for "showing up," I never got any trophies for anything I didn't place 1st, 2nd or 3rd in.

In fact I remember some of my high school teachers saying I wouldn't amount to anything. I specifically remember my 9th grade algebra teacher saying "you better memorize the phrase, 'you want to supersize that?'" if I couldn't pass his class. I did pass but his remarks did not motivate me, it was my friends who helped.

We got some positive reinforcement but it wasn't to excess. What do you propose when a kid is not the top 10% at something? Should we tear him or her down, say he'll never amount to anything? We already have a problem with youth depression and suicides, we don't need more of that.
Yeah, where are these mystical fluffy rainbow schools that tell kids they're all special winners that can do anything they want?

Because the teachers I had growing up had no problem failing the entire class or calling everyone worthless losers. Lol

Old 12-16-2015, 11:28 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yeah, where are these mystical fluffy rainbow schools that tell kids they're all special winners that can do anything they want?

Because the teachers I had growing up had no problem failing the entire class or calling everyone worthless losers. Lol
My teachers in public school were young and low paid and did nothing but text on their phones or pop in a movie so they wouldn't be bothered. But this was a public school in a not so good area so it's a no brainer.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
I can relate to your trouble.
The current unemployment climate with its low wages is difficult for young and old alike. But history tells me it won't last forever. In the meantime there are always things you can sacrifice to make the best of it even though it can be inconvenient and possibly unpleasant.
Work full and part time jobs, rent instead of buying, take transit instead of making car and insurance payments, dine out less, make your own lunch and coffee, bargain shop, ...you get the idea.
Good luck

Old 12-17-2015, 05:21 AM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
I am a retire Union Electrician and if I made more than you? #1. your skill sets must be limited or NOT in demand.. #2. you live in a Low Tech Corridor #3. No one wants to hire you because your too old and your technology is lacking? By and large Americans HATE The Union Workers who gave them a strong middle class and now most tradesmen are non-union and make $40K a year and have few if any benefits .. No Real Pensions or Retirement savings plan and PP Health Care Coverage. Big Business and Faux News blamed Unions for the theft's that should have been attributed to the....Big Business Elite!
I only been out of college for a year and I live in a low cost of living area. I just started by new job the beginning of this month and it pays 50k a year with a 5k bonus. It's okay money for this area but nothing to brag about.

I'm an analytical chemist which generally make 52k a year on average. The research chemist jobs pay in the six figure range but majority of those jobs require a PH.D.

The electricity I know makes 60k after 2 years of working in the field and I had to fight tooth and nail for my 50k chemist job and had to spend several months working as a temp making $17 bucks an hour which was near impossible to live off in the Atlanta area and southern state employers hate unions. They would bulldozer their facility before they permit unions.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 AM

577 posts, read 1,001,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Try buying a house with a 13% mortgage, as I did in 1985, before generational labels had been invented.

Every generation has its challenges...but "millennials versus baby boomers"makes such great clickbait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You're much better off paying 13% interest and watching rates decline to 5%, than to pay 5% interest and watch rates rise to 6%.

No offense, but it is weird to me how common your view is, and how many people don't understand that falling interest rates are what caused their home prices to grow so fast for so long.

Compare that to attempting to save 20% of the value of a house when rates are at 5%. It is extremely difficult.
Agreed, home price to income ratios have gone up significantly since the 80's, especially in large metro areas. If all you care about is monthly payment, sure it all equals out, but some of us actually care about total price of the home and how far our down payment goes. I'm on the borderline of gen-x/millennial, but I would have far preferred the higher rates of the 80's to ZIRP.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:51 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
It's not rocket science... But you can't always wait around for "something you love"; sometimes you just gotta take a job -- any job. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment