Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,097,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Map Shows The Average Salary of American Millennials

I happened across this today. It looks like millennials have it worse than I thought. You can't live on 19K a year, which is what the average millennial in my state earns according to this source.

No wonder they all want to stay in their parents basement and hope for a communist revolt.
I'm a millennial and I make over 60k.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:00 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,212,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
So do you older people get off at making derogatory comments about millenials or what?

This thread is just another rendition of "Back in my day..."
what else do they have to look forward to? they are all old, fat and divorced has-beens that are no longer employable by the ranks of the age discriminating, picky employers that either outsourced their positions to india or replaced them with younger, better looking workers that will reluctantly work for half of their predecessor's salary because they have no other options and $80,000 in student loans. but yet, they get labeled entitled & lazy anyway. ironic, considering the boomers have gutted social security and have imposed war-mongering world police foreign policy platforms over the last few decades while totally ignoring the state of our infrastructure, education, or healthcare systems. I guess I can see why they are projecting their butthurt anger. I actually feel sorry for them(not really). but no, they are absolutely right, us millenials are the entitled generation that screwed everything up. it's not like we had a previous generation to set the precedent for us. oh wait...

and everyone of them likes to preach a biblethumping idiom to gen y, "you reap what you sow". perhaps they should follow their own advice. but then they will not be around much longer to witness the descent of America into the third world.

our generation will be the first generation to fail to get as far as the previous generations. disappearing pensions, reduced or no social security benefits, skyrocketed healthcare, housing, food, and education costs, stagnant wages, most of the population drugged out on expensive drugs propagated by pharmaceuticals that see a cure for cancer as a threat to their bottom line, morbid obesity, mass shootings, homegrown terrorism, savings accounts yielding 0.0005%, bachelor degrees as valuable as high school diplomas, public breastfeeding activists, political correctness Nazis, obamacare Ponzi scheme, wealth inequality, climate change, 20 trillion debt, dumbed down education, etc.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:49 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,436 times
What a skewed survey. The term millenial covers those from 30ish to 15. A 15 year old can be making minimum wage while someone in the early thirties can make 3x-4x that amount. This should really be broken out to 25-35 and 15-24 for more accurate results. My only complaint as a millenial is that college cost me a fortune compared to previous generations.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,280,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
99% of the problems millennials face is due to DEBT.

Student loan debt....

Credit card debt.....

Debt from auto financing....

etc.

The way our system is setup today and has been setup for the past 15-20 years....has made it extremely difficult for many to manage financial.

College costs are outrages.....housing prices are rising......cost of living in getting steeper and steeper.

There is more competition for jobs than EVER BEFORE.

It's all a snowball affect and I believe that what is going on has been planned all along by those really in control.

Debt is a crippler.
I'm a millennial. Debt, other than for emergencies, is a choice.

You CHOOSE to get a loan to start college when you can apply for a job or two, be frugal, live at home and learn to save and spent right. I worked 2 jobs, retail/restaurant/tutoring, whatever crappy pay, hours and work environment while going to school fulltime. I NEVER bought a new textbook, especially from the school bookstore. If I must have one, I either rent, borrowed, or purchased online, saving hundreds of dollars. After I'm done with the class, I sell my book online for a small profit. I lived at home, helping to pay a small rent fee, my car, my phone and internet. I also agreed to help out with more chores around the house. This saved me tons in campus or apartment rentals.

Most students fall for the "I want to be independent" trend but are not realistic that moving out too soon, not working or signing up for student loans will come back to haunt them.

I earned 2 bachelor's this way. Worked my butt off but I did it, paid everything out of my own pocket with no loans under my name. I forego a master because I am not working in a field where a master will be worth in the investment (master programs are twice as expensive). Again, students who didn't do their research would sign up for classes and degrees where the investment may not pay off at the end.

Credit card debts - stop using your card. If you can't pay back that $1000 you just spent, then don't buy it. It's not rocket science. Pay with cash.

Auto financing - save as much as you can and buy what you can afford per month. You don't need the most newest Lexus or Porshe. A car with good gas mileage, with the least amount of fixing, is worth the monthly payments. Put in as much principal as you can every month. Use that bonus check to put into the principal instead of going shopping with it.

Jeez, my generation is embarrassing. Stop blaming and do something about it. Stop hating on those who succeed. They are not the exception - you are.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:11 AM

22,004 posts, read 13,047,113 times
Try this idea on for size, M's... You don't need four years of college, much less five or more... Many roles in health care -- the hottest field there is now -- can be trained for in months or even weeks. Work weekends and holiday shifts, and you'll rake in the $$$.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,155,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesenugget View Post
I'm a millennial. Debt, other than for emergencies, is a choice.

You CHOOSE to get a loan to start college when you can apply for a job or two, be frugal, live at home and learn to save and spent right. I worked 2 jobs, retail/restaurant/tutoring, whatever crappy pay, hours and work environment while going to school fulltime. I NEVER bought a new textbook, especially from the school bookstore. If I must have one, I either rent, borrowed, or purchased online, saving hundreds of dollars. After I'm done with the class, I sell my book online for a small profit. I lived at home, helping to pay a small rent fee, my car, my phone and internet. I also agreed to help out with more chores around the house. This saved me tons in campus or apartment rentals.

Most students fall for the "I want to be independent" trend but are not realistic that moving out too soon, not working or signing up for student loans will come back to haunt them.

I earned 2 bachelor's this way. Worked my butt off but I did it, paid everything out of my own pocket with no loans under my name. I forego a master because I am not working in a field where a master will be worth in the investment (master programs are twice as expensive). Again, students who didn't do their research would sign up for classes and degrees where the investment may not pay off at the end.

Credit card debts - stop using your card. If you can't pay back that $1000 you just spent, then don't buy it. It's not rocket science. Pay with cash.

Auto financing - save as much as you can and buy what you can afford per month. You don't need the most newest Lexus or Porshe. A car with good gas mileage, with the least amount of fixing, is worth the monthly payments. Put in as much principal as you can every month. Use that bonus check to put into the principal instead of going shopping with it.

Jeez, my generation is embarrassing. Stop blaming and do something about it. Stop hating on those who succeed. They are not the exception - you are.
That's all fine and dandy, except people also complain about millennials not moving out the house at 18. So you're not exempt from the anti-millennial sentiment either.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,155,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Try this idea on for size, M's... You don't need four years of college, much less five or more... Many roles in health care -- the hottest field there is now -- can be trained for in months or even weeks. Work weekends and holiday shifts, and you'll rake in the $$$.
Such as?

Everything I'm finding in the health care field requires a minimum of a 2 year degree for things like being a paramedic, if not a BS, MS, or nursing/medical school degree.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 AM

X-ray tech; physical therapy assistant; phlebotomist, surgical tech... Check out any vocational/technical school But I forget; M's are too good for that!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:29 AM

As for nursing, there's a critical shortage with baby boomers aging; you can get your RN in two years or less (accelerated programs available), then study for the BS degree while you work... They make money hand over fist!

Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No.

Nothing earns over 20 an hour in health that takes "weeks" or even "months. Radiology is the closest to what you're saying but it's not week,s and certainly more than 3 or 4 months.

old and young- you all complain and don't think about the other sides perspective. you're too busy dictating to everyone how you think it should be based on your life experiences...as if your life stands in for everyone elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment