Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times

Advertisements

I used to get invitations from LinkedIn all the time after one of my clients added my email to his contact list. The daily emails from LinkedIn were beyond annoying. I had to ask my client to please remove my name and email from his account because I was being spammed by LinkedIn.

I think it's unprofessional that LinkedIn would automatically send invitation emails to your entire contacts list without your direct consent. Frankly it turns me off from ever using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 07:15 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I used to get invitations from LinkedIn all the time after one of my clients added my email to his contact list. The daily emails from LinkedIn were beyond annoying, I had to ask my client to please remove my name and email from his LinkedIn account. I think it's unprofessional that LinkedIn would automatically send invitation emails to your entire contacts list without your direct consent. It turns me off from ever using them myself.
They do get your direct consent.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Since you obviously work for LinkedIn, can you tell me how to turn this off?

And can you also show me the text in the sign-up that explicitly that the signee is allowing LI to send out invitations without his request? (I believe you that it's there, but I suspect the language is vague.)

"Language is vague" depends on your reading comprehension, and/or if you bother to read what you are clicking on. Most average people don't bother to read what is in front of them, however, those who are familiar with software and web development should know better.

In any case, it's hardly news they do this, a class action suit was filed in 2013, their response is here:
Setting the Record Straight on False Accusations | Official LinkedIn Blog

Their mobile app, and pop up messages/screens on the web site ask for your permission for:

1) access to your contact list
and SEPARATELY
2) send invite to those on your contact list

so to solve your problem (which really is very simple if you are able to google):
Do not give linkedin access to your contact list
and
Say NO when it ask to invite people on your contact list.

And since you obviously already gave them permission to your contact list, you can manage it here (again a simple investigation of their site will net this result):
https://www.linkedin.com/contacts/manage_sources/
and
To withdrawl invites (assuming the invitee didn't already accept):
https://www.linkedin.com/contacts

Disclaimer: I do not work for linkedin. It's a helpful tool for professional networking, but like any tool, it's usefulness is limited by the user's ability and knowledge of the tool itself.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I think LinkedIn is good for absolutely nothing.

If you want to tie up with people for business networking or for sharing similar interests, then facebook is the best way to go. That is the only reason I joined up to facebook and the audience and number of contacts you make can be HUGE.

I got right out of LinkedIn. To me, it is like a trojan virus. They sent people requests from me to link to them and I MADE NO SUCH REQUEST. That finished me.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:52 PM

403 posts, read 472,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think LinkedIn is good for absolutely nothing.

If you want to tie up with people for business networking or for sharing similar interests, then facebook is the best way to go. That is the only reason I joined up to facebook and the audience and number of contacts you make can be HUGE.

I got right out of LinkedIn. To me, it is like a trojan virus. They sent people requests from me to link to them and I MADE NO SUCH REQUEST. That finished me.
You made the right move because I was able to see in 2013 the site was a overrated joke

Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
A better way of putting it is that I didn't know this feature existed and that is was enabled by default. Given that there is not a single person in the world who would want such a feature enabled, it's a case of LinkedIn being a jerk.
You are correct. I don't belong and have gotten requests twice. I got one from the last person and that person was a state employee who I had discussed private matters concerning my son with developmental disabilities and I did not want to be his "friend" in any way. I contacted him and he said he didn't have them send it. The amusing thing is that he is a lawyer by profession. I told him that when he signed up, he turned over all of his email contacts as in anyone that he ever emailed. I told him they put this in the small print and you always need to read it. If you go to their website, many people are complaining in the "Help" section. They sent about 3 requests and I sent them to the lawyer saying "See this is what happens."

Quote:
If something is turned on by default, then you did not give them permission to turn it on.
That's the new thing. You have to "opt out" of everything now because when they had people "opt in" no one was doing it. This makes it very important to read everything because they are using this "trick" in other venues. It should be illegal to do this too.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:48 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
LinkedIn only sends emails to everyone if you have the feature enabled, you can disable it in your own profile.

The company I work for has a communal email that is often used for email blast responses. You would not believe how many LinkedIn invites it gets per day just because of the sheer amount of people who blow through the LinkedIn sign up process without realizing they're giving away their email and email password.

Let it be an important lesson to read. The. Fine. Print. on everything you sign up for or download.

LinkedIn is garbage and has been for a long time, but you are the one who gave it permission to do the things it's doing.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:02 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post

LinkedIn is garbage and has been for a long time, but you are the one who gave it permission to do the things it's doing.
While I don't doubt this is indeed the cause of the issue in many cases, it is not what was happening to me. I never gave LI my email passwords, and use a different password for LI than I do for email. In case you don't want to believe that, I also do not list my work email account in LI, only a personal email that had very, very few contacts (less than 10) in it, mostly friends and family.

The mystery connections I started receiving, who supposedly were responding to my requests to connect, did not show up in my LI outbox as people I had sent invites to. They were also people who I had never heard of, had never done business with or interacted with in any way and were not in any of my contacts anywhere. There were a number of people making these exact same complaints on LinkedIn's forums at the time.

What I did do was sometimes used the feature in the app to look for people I might know. I eventually noticed a correlation between using that feature and getting strange connections. As I previously mentioned, once I stopped using their app on my iPad, the connections also stopped with no other changes on my end. It's been a couple of years now and I have not had any more problems.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
Lol at blaming them for your error
How is this the OP's error?

Linked In is useless in most cases...

Old 01-04-2016, 07:55 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
i was told i had to take linkedin seriously because it is professional. after so much spam i put it in the same category as facebock, twister, goggle plush, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment