Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times

Advertisements

I know that generally the common way to handle leaving a job is giving your employer around two weeks notice when possible. We all know that. However I feel like maybe I owe it to my employer to give a little more of a heads up based on my situation. I currently work for a company who handles document management for our biggest client. There are three people on site at this firm, although our main office is at another location. I'm not any sort of higher-up or anything like that, just a younger guy in (more or less) a customer service position. Anyway, I know that in the next few months I'll be moving 2,000 miles across the country for reasons unrelated to work, it's just a personal choice. My company has been good to me for the 3 years I've worked there, and I appreciate them just as they appreciate what I do.

Maybe it's just me being nice and generous but I know that a sudden shake-up with me leaving would probably leave our company in a temporary tailspin and it would put even more responsibility on my boss which I wouldn't want to leave him with. Part of me wonders if I would be doing them a favor my telling them my plans maybe a month in advance because it would give them some time to try and figure out (and probably hire) a replacement because no one is in line to do this. People say "just give them two weeks and let them deal with it", and maybe that's true, but I feel a little guilty because if I'm moving to the other side of the country, that doesn't just come out of nowhere. I didn't just land a new job 5 miles away, I clearly have been planning this for awhile without telling anyone. I don't want them to feel like I've been keeping this important information from them when they could've used a little heads up, especially because my intentions are good and I don't want to leave them in a bad spot and rushing to fill positions and train new people in a pinch. And for what it's worth, there is no part of me that believes the company will have any ill will towards me when I do tell them I'm leaving. I'm not worried about repercussions or anything like that. I do believe they might appreciate me telling them in advance.

Do you think I'm being reasonable here or should I, in fact, let the company deal with it the way they have to and just not worry about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Do you think I'm being reasonable here or should I, in fact, let the company deal with it the way they have to and just not worry about it?
The latter. Be professional and give 2 weeks notice. If they ask you to stay longer then you can make a decision based on your flexibility but not out of guilt or a sense of loyalty.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I know that generally the common way to handle leaving a job is giving your employer around two weeks notice when possible. We all know that. However I feel like maybe I owe it to my employer to give a little more of a heads up based on my situation. I currently work for a company who handles document management for our biggest client. There are three people on site at this firm, although our main office is at another location. I'm not any sort of higher-up or anything like that, just a younger guy in (more or less) a customer service position. Anyway, I know that in the next few months I'll be moving 2,000 miles across the country for reasons unrelated to work, it's just a personal choice. My company has been good to me for the 3 years I've worked there, and I appreciate them just as they appreciate what I do.

Maybe it's just me being nice and generous but I know that a sudden shake-up with me leaving would probably leave our company in a temporary tailspin and it would put even more responsibility on my boss which I wouldn't want to leave him with. Part of me wonders if I would be doing them a favor my telling them my plans maybe a month in advance because it would give them some time to try and figure out (and probably hire) a replacement because no one is in line to do this. People say "just give them two weeks and let them deal with it", and maybe that's true, but I feel a little guilty because if I'm moving to the other side of the country, that doesn't just come out of nowhere. I didn't just land a new job 5 miles away, I clearly have been planning this for awhile without telling anyone. I don't want them to feel like I've been keeping this important information from them when they could've used a little heads up, especially because my intentions are good and I don't want to leave them in a bad spot and rushing to fill positions and train new people in a pinch. And for what it's worth, there is no part of me that believes the company will have any ill will towards me when I do tell them I'm leaving. I'm not worried about repercussions or anything like that. I do believe they might appreciate me telling them in advance.

If you feel the company has been good to you, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving them advance notice. One way to do it would be to just give them a heads up that you're planning to leave in a month, but not give "official" notice. I bet they will appreciate the consideration. An employee/employer relationship does not have to be adversarial. Most of the aren't, contrary to what you read here on CD.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:24 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
If you have a good relationship with the employer and don't feel like they will ask you to leave when you drop the notice on them, then go ahead and let them know. It sounds like they have been a good employer so they will definitely appreciate the notice.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:29 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
I had an employee give me a month's notice about a month ago. Unless your company has a history of showing people the door when they turn in their papers, there is nothing wrong with giving your employer a heads up.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:18 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
I gave 2 weeks notice once, and the next day I came in they laid me off.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:17 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
My husband and I have both given advance notice because our jobs required some serious look to a replacement. I officially gave a month, he unofficially gave three months, In both cases, we were 99% sure we wouldn't get an early boot. Both jobs tried to get us to stay. I did not. My husband stayed an extra 9 months.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:00 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
I've been given no notice and let go, no notice, and several months of pay and let go, and once 3 months notice, and 2 months of pay at the end. Companies deserve what they give.

Think back to the last person let go for something other then bad conduct. If they were given severance, then be just as kind to your employer. IE treat them how they treat others.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:09 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
I've always just discussed this with my manager before drafting up the actual letter (more of a HR thing anyways).

Giving more than two weeks is rarely an issue. And if it works for you, might as well keep getting paid (and covered by insurance).

Old 12-31-2015, 08:09 AM

23 posts, read 38,397 times
If the company policy says two weeks' notice, then two weeks' notice is enough. It's up to your manager to make arrangements for your replacement. It's not your responsibility. If you want to be nice by giving a longer notice, that's fine. But make sure everything is finalized with your new offer (background check and reference check is clear, offer letter officially signed, etc.) before you give your notice. Never ever give your notice before your new offer is finalized unless you absolutely have no other choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment