Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,703,797 times

Advertisements

Im 27, married, no kids and for 3 years been semi retired self employed with rentals. We were content with just that. However, we are wanting to now get back into full time jobs to rapidly increase our income so we can fully retire sooner(meaning not dependent on rentals or job income). We plan to put everything we make in investments/savings and continue living as we are off rental income.

I have banking experience as a teller but didnt like the job much. 2 years, great references there. I have some college, finishing basic courses but that was it. Other jobs were somewhat random. We owned a franchise route running pretzel/chips to groeries. Made decent money but was tough and hated dealing with franchise issues. Sold it and made profit.

I like office, reception type work. I applied to one today because it sounded just right and close but the pay is awful, like minimum wage. I made more at the bank and other jobs. I feel this would be a step backwards and look bad on the resume. I am trying to brainstorm other job ideas that make a decent wage without requiring degrees. I do not want to take out loans and go back to school. Any ideas or options? I wouldnt do hard labor/factory work and I couldnt see working in healthcare either. I had been looking for openings at the schools, i know i couldnt be a teacher but maybe other options there. I enjoy event planning and travel planning but again not sure what fields i could get into without degrees. To make decent wages like 30-40k plus a year, would I absolutely have to get a degree?

Even though I am not planning to work another 30 years, I still want to begin and take seriously a new career path. Then focus on advancing. I just feel like I have no idea where to begin. Most jobs seem to offer little advancement, least what I have done.

Also, my husband interviewed and most likely will get a job in security. Pay is.. ok. He does not have a GED. He quit in 12th grade. For awhile he has wanted to get it and this job requires him to obtain it in 6 months time. Its good, as it will push him to do it. He is very nervous about failing the tests, as they cost money everytime. He has 6 years experience as manager/various positions at a large grocery chain.

Questions
1. Any suggestions on fields, training ect for me to persue? Should I look at getting a degree of some kind? We are debt free, so taking on student loans sounds really bad to me. Anyone have suggestions of decent paying career fields not requiring degree?

2. Career paths where you start at lower wage but have good advancements in time? I understand starting off low entry level and work up. I have heard some people have jobs that even pay for tuition ect.

3. Anyone taken the GED tests? He tried a sample test which made him more nervous. It sounds like you just sign up for the test, study (do they give you material?) Show up and pay by test date, take it and see if you pass. Do you have to attend classes or just the test only?

I am 27 and still no idea what i would want to focus on career wise. We are hoping to fully retire in 10-15 years. Easiest way to do this is raise our income, which raises our savings rate to get there faster then what were doing now.

Any advice or guidance appreciated!

Last edited by Icemodeled; 01-04-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 02:21 PM

12,114 posts, read 23,378,070 times
Don't tell anyone that you are semi-retired.

Have you explored property management?

I've known several event planners and they have all had degrees.

I am not trying to be rude, but your lack of education and skills would not make an employer want to give you a 15-20 dollar an hour job when candidates for those jobs are going to have experience and/or related education. You are going to have to start at an entry level job somewhere, prove you are capable and, hopefully, move up from there.

You might want to go back to banking and get some education in order to get off the floor. I know a guy who was able to transition from being a teller to a desk job by getting a two year accounting degree from a CC. I also know a lady who transitioned from teller to something else within the bank, and she doesn't have any college.

There are social service agencies and churches who tutor people for the GED test, so check those out.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:12 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,268,481 times
How did you come up with money to purchase rental properties at 27? Just curious.
The only way to retire at 37 with few prospects and little education is to win the lottery.
Set ur ego aside and take whatever job you are offered and work hard. There is no get rich quick scheme that replaces a job well done at the end of the day. If such a course or class were offered wouldn.t we all be in it?
Follow your intuition and work.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
No education and semi-retired in your 20's? I'm not sure if I'm skeptical, impressed, or jealous.

When I went back to work after being home with my kids for a few years, I had to take a major pay cut. You should expect the same.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:39 PM

Joe, sorry if my post indicated it but I do not expect to start out making $15-20 an hour off the bat. I said I know I will have to work my way up. Just not sure which field to persue that does advancements. Something I could be established in. Banking was not something I enjoyed much, I do not know if its something I want to do long term. I enjoy working with kids, planning, office work eint.. but I have no idea where to start, if ill need training ect. I had considered an accounting degree but wouldnt specifically want to use it in banking.

Earslikeacat - my husband and I saved about 60-70% of our income when we were working full time. We spent little and saved a lot. Had side jobs also like lawncare we did. We then bought the franchise that did well and saved again 60-70% of it. When we sold it a year later, we made a profit. Used the money over a 2 year span and paid cash for 6 rentals, 7 units. We make 50k a year currently in rental income and live well off it. We are financially fine, still saving a lot every month and have a good amount in investments. We just want to increase it faster to hit our goal sooner. Winning the lottery is NOT the only way to retire early.. if this is your mindset then I am very sorry.

im sorry, but I am not sure if you understand my post entirely.. take whatever job you are offered and work hard? We work hard now and have been. We were never handed anything. I am not desperate to pay bills, again this post is about finding and establishing a career, however that may need to be done. Actually your whole post is.. well I have no idea why your saying half of it. Maybe I wasnt clear enough in my first post what our plans are and what were hoping to figure out. I am not looking for a get rich quick scheme.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No education and semi-retired in your 20's? I'm not sure if I'm skeptical, impressed or jealous.

When I went back to work after being home with my kids for a few years, I had to take a major pay cut. You should expect the same.
Wow.. I am surprised by the fact that many on here think someone with no college degree can not succeed or do anything with their life.

my dad who barely passed high school, teacher told him he would amount to nothing, makes $25 an hour as an engineer.. my mom who went to college has made no more then $10 an hour. I didnt know it was something people were so adverse to.

no education? I am sure theres many people with degrees on here and in the world who has little to no common sense or real intelligence and those without degrees who do very well. Sucess is not mesaured by that alone. I can understand thinking a degree very much helps a person succeed but it upsets me that because I have no degree theyre surprised I am doing ok and not struggling..? This had nothing to do with my questions.. which is where to focus, I am open to going back to school or training if need be. Instead its the fact that I already have anything without having a degree already? I hope I am misunderstanding that.

Last edited by Icemodeled; 01-04-2016 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,689,431 times
I'm in commercial/industrial real estate, and some of my employees in lease administration came from residential property management. Here it requires
minimum 2 years real estate experience, 2 years college (no specific degree) and excellent Word skills. They start at about $23/hour. Any large property management company will have such lease administrator jobs, and there is a linked-in group for it that could be of some use to you.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Wow.. I am surprised by the fact that many on here think someone with no college degree can not succeed or do anything with their life.

my dad who barely passed high school, teacher told him he would amount to nothing, makes $25 an hour as an engineer.. my mom who went to college has made no more then $10 an hour. I didnt know it was something people were so adverse to.

no education? I am sure theres many people with degrees on here and in the world who has little to no common sense or real intelligence and those without degrees who do very well. Sucess is not mesaured by that alone. I can understand thinking a degree very much helps a person succeed but it upsets me that because I have no degree theyre surprised I am doing ok and not struggling..?
I said no such thing.

You have to admit, your life is not exactly the norm. My first comment related only to the fact that you have to have money to make money. i.e. you had to get a boat load of money from somewhere to buy that many properties. Most people don't have that kind of money, even with a college degree and several years of work under their belt.

My second comment is true, regardless of whether you have a degree or not. You take a few years off (for most people it is to take care of kids), and all of a sudden all of your experience means nothing. It is a sad truth, at least in my experience. I had to start completely over again at the bottom of the ladder. For me, that meant getting hired with a bunch of people 15 years younger than me, with little to no experience, and getting paid like it was my first job out of college. For you, that might mean close to min wage.

You are doing better than "ok." You are "semi-retired" in your 20's, and plan to be completely retired in your 30's. You asked for advice and I told you the truth. With no degree and a 3 year gap in employment, you can't hope to make much money.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm in commercial/industrial real estate, and some of my employees in lease administration came from residential property managemet requires
minimum 2 years real estate experience, 2 years college (no specific degree) and excellent Word skills. They start at about $23/hour. Any large property management company will have such lease administrator jobs, and there is a linked-in group for it that could be of some use to you.
Thank you! I certainly would be interested in something like that. I have probably a year of college credits from before. Every job i have done has delt with computers, Microsoft office, ect. And would feel comfortable doing that. I will look into it!

Old 01-04-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I said no such thing.

You have to admit, your life is not exactly the norm. My first comment related only to the fact that you have to have money to make money. i.e. you had to get a boat load of money from somewhere to buy that many properties. Most people don't have that kind of money, even with a college degree and several years of work under their belt.

My second comment is true, regardless of whether you have a degree or not. You take a few years off (for most people it is to take care of kids), and all of a sudden all of your experience means nothing. It is a sad truth, at least in my experience. I had to start completely over again at the bottom of the ladder. For me, that meant getting hired with a bunch of people 15 years younger than me, with little to no experience, and getting paid like it was my first job out of college. For you, that might mean close to min wage.

You are doing better than "ok." You are "semi-retired" in your 20's, and plan to be completely retired in your 30's. You asked for advice and I told you the truth. With no degree and a 3 year gap in employment, you can't hope to make much money.
Ok, it just came across that way to me, and not just your post. i know were not the average. We do not know any landlords in our age group. Theyre all 50s mostly. our rentals were mostly purchased back in 2010 and 2011. They were forclosures and dirt cheap. If/when we sell, we should make a profit. Some were rough shape and took work to fix up. Some were ready to go. We bought slowly, not all at once.

I do understand its been 3 years since my last real 9-5 job. I know I maybe will have to take something with lower pay then before, but I just think it will look bad on my resume. Again, if its a job I can advance in, thatd be no problem then. My husband will be making $12 to start off with this new job (just waiting for background and all to be done) which is very good to me, since he doesnt even have his diploma. It SEEMS like a job he can advance in. He wishes he could go back to his old job, he was making close to $15 an hour doing backdoor receiving manager. He had to quit though when we bought the route. I think if im offered the receptionist job, I may take it. Least the experience will be good to add to my resume.

I still dont expect to make a lot right away, I am just seeing what decent paying jobs may be worth going into and pursuing if I get the degree or training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment