Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:59 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,126,353 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend's grandfather, who is in his late 90's, needed to be taken to the Vet's hospital by an ambulance.

My boyfriend rode with them in the ambulance while I followed from behind.

Anyway, afterward we talked about what they talked about. They told my boyfriend that they make $12/hour.

These are the people whose hands we put our lives in. Why the hell are they getting paid so little? That's about $24k/year, which is about $17k/year take home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 01:04 AM

29,530 posts, read 22,749,658 times
An older article but good points.

The Low-Pay Lowdown | EMSWorld.com

Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,126,353 times
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) / Paramedic Salary

Even the upper end of that pay scale I would have trouble living comfortably. What the hell?
Attached Thumbnails
Why do ambulance people get paid so little?-capture.png  

Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 AM

29,530 posts, read 22,749,658 times
read the article

Old 01-01-2016, 02:07 AM

748 posts, read 822,212 times
It's ironic if EMS get paid less money than UBER and taxi drivers. Given they must be skilled, certified and frankly ambulance service bills a small fortune for every ride.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:44 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,935,565 times
The ambulance crew in the small town i grew up in was taxpayer funded, and that was very little money. Same with the fire crew, they often had fund raising drives for donations. I have a lot of respect for people who do that kind of work for little to no pay.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:09 AM

4,358 posts, read 7,262,603 times
In my city, the Fire Department has provided ambulance services since the 1970s. All of the city's firefighters have been trained as EMTs for years now, and are paid well. There are also several private ambulance services, but I don't know what the pay or skill level of the EMTs/attendants are.

Prior to the introduction of services through the Fire Department, ambulance services in my city were provided by private contractors, and the personnel were not trained as EMTs. They merely transported patients to a hospital, where the staff there could evaluate & provide treatment.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:29 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,461,251 times
For a comparison , here is the pay rate for Toronto Paramedics ( who by the way have to pay their own way through a two year college course, then write their Provincial board examinations, and then be hired by a service ) . They are NOT EMT"s as we don't even use that term in Canada. Paramedics in Ontario are trained to preform more medical procedures than any other health care professionals, except Medical Doctors.

Here is a link about Toronto Paramedics salaries, for the different skill levels, starting with a level one who starts at 76 thousand dollars with full benefits. They work 12 hour shifts, and in a 6 week period they work 20 shifts, with one 7 day period of no work at all.

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/Toro...es-E480027.htm

Its a far cry from the idea of paying minimum wages, isn't ?

Jim B.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,240,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
For a comparison , here is the pay rate for Toronto Paramedics ( who by the way have to pay their own way through a two year college course, then write their Provincial board examinations, and then be hired by a service ) . They are NOT EMT"s as we don't even use that term in Canada. Paramedics in Ontario are trained to preform more medical procedures than any other health care professionals, except Medical Doctors.

Here is a link about Toronto Paramedics salaries, for the different skill levels, starting with a level one who starts at 76 thousand dollars with full benefits. They work 12 hour shifts, and in a 6 week period they work 20 shifts, with one 7 day period of no work at all.

https://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/Toro...es-E480027.htm

Its a far cry from the idea of paying minimum wages, isn't ?

Jim B.
Same here in Alberta (ALIS OCCinfo: Occupations and Educational Programs).

We pay higher taxes for medical care obviously, but I don't mind. Seems completely outrageous to cut funds on life-saving personnel, but there you go with a political debate. McDonalds here pays $11-13/hour.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,266,889 times
When my late wife was suffering from dementia, I was unable to transport her to medical appts. and had to use an ambulance service. It was expensive as hell. If the personnel aren't getting paid, I'd like to know who is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment