Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times

Advertisements

Job #1

32-37 hours weekly (Set schedule Wed-Sunday)
$10.75 an hour
No benefits (Pay for my own medical)
discount for purchases (Merchandise not food)
Great co-worker (She busts her butt as much as I do and we're both "Over the hill")

Job #2

40 hours a week, might be 50
$11 an hour
No benefits (But still paying my own medical)
No discounts
12 weeks max contract time (They may have more, but no guarantees)

#2 job is worrisome as they also have a contract in Oregon (#2 is in Washington No income tax) and if no work, then send me to the other contract just to avoid paying UI....Plus trying to get back to working in Washington might be hard as they'll say "No openings" for new job and only because they want me to stay at other crappy job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
There are many dependencies but I'm going to say #1.

Best of luck

Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Job #1

32-37 hours weekly (Set schedule Wed-Sunday)
$10.75 an hour
No benefits (Pay for my own medical)
discount for purchases (Merchandise not food)
Great co-worker (She busts her butt as much as I do and we're both "Over the hill")

Job #2

40 hours a week, might be 50
$11 an hour
No benefits (But still paying my own medical)
No discounts
12 weeks max contract time (They may have more, but no guarantees)

#2 job is worrisome as they also have a contract in Oregon (#2 is in Washington No income tax) and if no work, then send me to the other contract just to avoid paying UI....Plus trying to get back to working in Washington might be hard as they'll say "No openings" for new job and only because they want me to stay at other crappy job.

Job #1. No way would I go into a job not knowing how long I would be there.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
What happened to the ACA? How can you not have insurance? Isn't that what the leader of the Free world promissed?

It is funny, both of these seem kind of like they are lacking to me. You don't seem sure of either. I remember in years past people wanting a job for the security it brings. Funny, that seems to be something that happened in the past. Where is the security today? I have a business that I run part time promoting a product line. It does not cost me anything to promote the business. I don't have to keep any stock on hand. I have no risks to be a part of the business and yet others have told me that they prefer to work a regular JOB with the security that having a job brings. Where is the security in that?

Anyway, I would take the sure thing and then find another job where you can work the remainder of the week. That is just me and where I live you would need a lot more to make it even if you were renting a place.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What happened to the ACA? How can you not have insurance?
I take it that the employer is not offering the OP group insurance, and that person would have to purchase an individual medical policy, and pay premiums out of pocket, in order to comply with the ACA.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I take it that the employer is not offering the OP group insurance, and that person would have to purchase an individual medical policy, and pay premiums out of pocket, in order to comply with the ACA.
Good luck on $10, $11, or $12 an hour. I had this discussion with our security officers. They work for a contracted service. The supervisor told me he has to pay for the insurance but the cost is killing him. He makes around $12 an hour. He says he is forced to buy the insurance.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:27 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
What happened to the ACA? How can you not have insurance? Isn't that what the leader of the Free world promissed?

It is funny, both of these seem kind of like they are lacking to me. You don't seem sure of either. I remember in years past people wanting a job for the security it brings. Funny, that seems to be something that happened in the past. Where is the security today? I have a business that I run part time promoting a product line. It does not cost me anything to promote the business. I don't have to keep any stock on hand. I have no risks to be a part of the business and yet others have told me that they prefer to work a regular JOB with the security that having a job brings. Where is the security in that?

Anyway, I would take the sure thing and then find another job where you can work the remainder of the week. That is just me and where I live you would need a lot more to make it even if you were renting a place.
ACA happened to ACA.

Honestly, I don't know why it's that surprising. Small employers were previously offering health insurance. Now they're finding that it's really expensive to do that and people don't value it that much, and why would they. At $20,000/yr I'd only pay $12/year for Obamacare, so why would I really value employer-provided medical insurance all that much? Even if I opted for enhanced silver with reduced deductibles, that would only be $70/mo. There's a good chance when the employer was even offering medical insurance no one took it because the expected employee contribution was more per month than they'd pay after welfare bennies for Obamacare. Since none of the employees really wanted group health insurance and it cost a lot, they stopped offering it. I mean, it's like 80-90% of people covered by Obamacare are getting welfare to pay for it. That really IS Obamacare. The few of us that actually aren't getting welfare to pay for it generally aren't that happy with Obamacare, unless there's a pre-existing condition, as it's increased the cost tremendously. I'm paying more than twice as much as I was previously. Even if I went with Bronze insurance, which is basically what I had prior to ACA, it would be nearly double.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-07-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment