Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 AM

694 posts, read 1,204,928 times

Advertisements

My best friend from high school has been working for a major technology company for the unit that provides services to other companies in the area of desktop support, essentially, he is an employee of this tech company and they lend him as a consultant to other companies. Prior to last year, things were good, he had a terrific manager for 12 years and then last year, she left and things started to fall apart from him. The new manager is a real piece of work. First, the team was cut down to two people, it's just him and another guy who recently had a serious health issue and takes sick days whenever, no one can say anything to him, so my friend is stuck covering for him. The manager keeps on denying him previously requested and approved time off even though he has it accrued, he had to cancel time off he planned for year-end, he always takes this last week to be home with kids as his wife works really long hours during this week and he had to scramble last minute to align childcare and even had to take kids to work with him one day. Last week he asked for a personal day as he had a few family/medical appts on that day, and the team leader who is between him and the manager, told him no problem, he will line up a resource to cover, last moment, he was asked to come in to work, so he said, fine, I will come right after I am done with the very first appt, he came in, stayed till the end of day, took care of everything and the manager emailed him asking how he was planning to make up the hours. He logged in from home and made up the hours, told her that he made up the hours and she asked who authorized him to complete these hours from home, and that he needs to clear any changes to the schedule with her, to which he replied that he was more than accommodating by coming in on his scheduled time off, she said "business dictates your schedule". His former boss warned him that this manager is a major pain and he needs to thread carefully.

Now, he understands that nothing good is going to come out of this and has already started looking for a new job, but in a meanwhile, he can't afford to lose the income and his former manager told him that this b... is famous for making sure people get no severance and even unemployment, basically, saying they were fired for a cause.

He is really hard-working, and extremely pleasant person, never had any issue with users, always a positive feedback, in fact, he has been chosen both on this engagement and the prior jobs to support the very senior managers.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,393,695 times
They are forcing him to quit so they can outsource their IT work to a vendor or bring in someone else.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
They are forcing him to quit so they can outsource their IT work to a vendor or bring in someone else.
This.

In some countries, this is known as "constructive dismissal." In the US, it's known as "business." There's little to no protection from it here.

Best advice is to keep his head down, save as much as he can, and get the hell out of there as soon as he can find a new job. Don't fight the new boss, don't resist, don't complain, don't backtalk. Just put up with it until you don't have to anymore.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:19 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,764,166 times
I smell H1B's in this company's future.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM

694 posts, read 1,204,928 times
And that's exactly what his former boss told him that they are trying to push full time people out and hire consultants to carry out the job, so I understand and I conveyed it to him that things are not going to improve and he is better off getting out of there, but when she sent him an email saying "Tell me that you understand you need to clear all schedule changes with me", should he bow his head and say "Yes, I do", or should he reply back to remind her that he basically bent over backwards to cover the shift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment