Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 06:38 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,868 times

Advertisements

When do you think it's worth it for a SAHM or WAHM (work-at-home mother who earns some income on a freelance, part-time or full-time basis) to return to a conventional, in-office full-time job?

That is something I'm debating, as I weigh an opportunity that has been presented to me. I have worked from home for the past two years and earn approximately half of what I used to make in the corporate world. At the same time, it's worked well because my husband's salary has exponentially increased, we have school-age children (and have to contend with the insane school calendar) and live somewhere with no relatives around to assist (as we formerly did).

At the same time, I am potentially looking at a regular, office-based role that includes a vested pension (after 5 years) and is in my current/former profession. I am considering taking it, but I am very concerned about the functioning of our household and family as a result. Additionally, my husband has been able to advance in some part (large part) because of my flexibility and availability. He will need to make many more compromises and adjustments in his schedule if I take a regular job.

For those of you who have weighed this (on either side of the equation), how did you reach a decision, and what was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Every situation has its pros and cons. It was good for my mental health to get out of the house and back to work after 5 years at home. In my case, staying home was never meant to be permanent. It was ok for a few years, but not financially sustainable long term.

At a certain point, though, I really don't think I could justify working. If my husband was able to replace my salary and his, I think it would be better to stay home and manage the house and kids.

I thought going back to work when they kids were in school full time was a no-brainer, but it turned out to be really difficult. It wasn't possible to get them to their after school activities and every evening was a big time-crunch for homework. Eventually, I was able to adjust my schedule so I work almost full time and can still be home after school.

Retirement is definitely a concern. Don't base your decision just on your current situation, but future, too. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment