Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,365,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Falsifying work history with fake companies will never go far. Dishonest applicants are likely to be dishonest if they work for a new employer. They will not be hired.
I was dishonest in my application but never after being hired. And I was obviously hired, so your canned "always do the right thing" response doesn't apply in the real world. You will get hired if they don't catch you. After you're hired you're good to go. You increase your chances of getting hired if you lie. In many instances you have nothing to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:21 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,477,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Having Faith in GA View Post
I disagree. You'll be amazed how many people lie on their resume and do not get caught. After all, who's really checking after that person is hired, unless someone in that company previously worked for said at the same time and call him/her out on it.
...and then there are the ones who do get caught and those names make the rounds....all quite unofficially, of course.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 PM

367 posts, read 459,104 times
I call BS on the OP's story. His secondary responses after the opening post are too predictable.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 PM

71 posts, read 58,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
...and then there are the ones who do get caught and those names make the rounds....all quite unofficially, of course.
I didn't say nor alluded that people don't get caught. I really don't get what your response has to do with mine. Maybe you were just itching to say something.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:46 AM

90 posts, read 105,345 times
How does one truthfully write a job resume what month he was hired 20 years ago? I'm not even sure what year I started the job that I had in 1995. All the businesses except the most recent one are long gone. All I can do is piece together a job history with best guess dates that might be off by years for all I know. So technically I AM lying on my resume, even though I have nothing to hide or embellish in my career. If I didn't toss papers more than 5 years old, I'd not fit into my apartment from paper.

"Resumes, the Great American Body of Fiction. Aisle B of microfilms, between Tax Returns and Political Speeches." (a librarian's remark from 2056)

Last edited by hapci534; 01-30-2016 at 02:55 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 04:34 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,125,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Well I'm sure that he guy was under performing so they got suspicious and decided to dig deeper. They do reference checks before they hire someone. But after your hired and not performing well, I don't see why you would even bother checking a reference because if the performance is not good enough, it's not good enough no matter what a reference says. So why wouldn't hr check with this person before hiring?
I think you're right that they dug deeper because he was underperforming. I never worked with him, but I am friend with someone who worked with him and he told me that guy kept saying he had been doing this and that for 15 years and blah blah. Yet all his work were wrong.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:09 AM

55 posts, read 45,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillsonika1976 View Post
I teach my kids to be honest and that lying and cheating have consequences. I guess nowadays being honest equates to being trampled and walked upon. I will never be preaching honesty again. Ever.
Unfortunately, I agree. I've gotten burned more times from being the honest Good Girl than from being underhanded. Not just with jobs (but definitely at my teaching job, for sure) but also even moreso when it comes to dating/relationships in the past. #NiceGirlDilemma #NiceGirlsFinishLast #NiceGirlComplex

Old 01-30-2016, 08:29 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,000,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillsonika1976 View Post
I teach my kids to be honest and that lying and cheating have consequences. I guess nowadays being honest equates to being trampled and walked upon. I will never be preaching honesty again. Ever.

You would be wise. the vast majority of people today are sociopathic, lying sewage that will say/do anything to get ahead. The only way to get ahead in this world now is beat them at their own game.

Honesty is actually not a good attribute to have in today's sick society. Politicians, executives, etc. all lie and look at where they are? :roll eyes:

Honesty , work ethic, busting my rear and "playing by the rules" never got me anywhere except to the unemployment line and stuck in the same position for ever while I sat there and watched all the loons/sociopaths who spent all their time sucking up in bosses office and lying and backstabbing everyone else. . But when I became sneakier, only looked out for myself, cheating the system a little more, and kissing the butt of the higher ups etc. my career progressed.

Its sad you have to be this way, but the reality is you do.

I wish I knew this 10 years ago that it was more about politics, throwing people under the bus, doing/saying anything you can to get ahead and embellishing the hell out of your resume.

I can't blame my parents for not telling me this. In their day, the backstabbing, butt kissing jerk was thrown out of the office. These days its the norm to have a whose of those people around.. And they're the only ones getting ahead while the hardworking, play by the rules SUCKERS are stuck at a dead end

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-30-2016 at 08:39 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 AM

65 posts, read 55,892 times
I once opened a trade magazine to find a "welcome" announcement for their new hire, in a high position. I recognized this person as someone who used to work for me (a low-level assistant) and I fired him after about 6 months.

Imagine my surprise when I read his bio in this announcement, and his background included a lengthy stint as... me. Yep, he claimed he held my position at our mutual former company.

Last edited by Angel2032; 01-30-2016 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 AM

6,710 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Nonsense thread. Someone thinks she lost a job offer by not lying.

If you lie about your background and get hired, you're at great risk. If someone decides to get rid of you for whatever reason -- doesn't like you, you're not competent, etc. -- the first thing they do is scrutinize your background and your job application materials and look for something to nail you with.

This has happened to me -- someone was trying to get rid of me and started calling my previous employers as "retroactive references" -- however, I was honest and my previous employers all liked me, and he couldn't find anything on me but praise and "we'd hire him again".

Know also that if you do get fired for dishonesty about your work history, it will make it difficult to collect unemployment, and of course you can never use them for a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment