Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times

Advertisements

Or do you have to spend a lot of time dealing with people (outside of the lawyers you work for, I mean)? I picture someone mostly just doing research on a computer or in a law library, but maybe I have it wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Or do you have to spend a lot of time dealing with people (outside of the lawyers you work for, I mean)? I picture someone mostly just doing research on a computer or in a law library, but maybe I have it wrong.
It depends. Some paralegal jobs might involve mostly research and drafting of documents. Not much contact with clients.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
What I Wish I Knew BEFORE Becoming a Paralegal

Old 02-07-2016, 06:41 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,544 times
It could be good for someone who doesn't want to deal with the public. I imagine if you work for a small law firm or for a solo practioner there's a possibility you will also be doing secretarial work too, which will make you come in contact more with the public.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:31 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This was a very helpful link. Thank you!

I've often thought of this field too. I did paralegal work in the military and really enjoyed it. I too questioned how much of the work load was autonomous/solitary vs. more client contact, etc.

I guessed it would be a question of what kind of law firm you worked in and the role that you played.

You have got me interested in this again. Good topic!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:27 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
I see from the link provided that each situation is different, but it seems that it would be possible to find a position where you wouldn't have to deal with the public...at least, not much. I'm not thinking of it for myself but for my "I hate people" offspring. lol

Old 02-08-2016, 11:30 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I see from the link provided that each situation is different, but it seems that it would be possible to find a position where you wouldn't have to deal with the public...at least, not much. I'm not thinking of it for myself but for my "I hate people" offspring. lol
Even attorneys can find jobs with no client contact. You'd be surprised. Just about every big company has an in-house legal department. Get one of those jobs and you could spend the rest of your career doing mundane legal work. For some people, that might be just what they want.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM

19,395 posts, read 15,224,747 times
I've looked into becoming a paralegal before. The two main negatives I heard from paralegals themselves, was having to work a lot of hours for not great pay, and that the attorneys you work for can be real a-holes. Not an unheard-of concept, but still, they can't all be bad, can they? lol (Much like many nurses' opinions of the doctors they work with.)

But I like the idea of working solitarily, researching things, and that's been a big part of work I've done in the past, so I'm looking forward to seeing more responses here.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
My advice is not to limit your career because you are an introvert. I'm an introvert too and I have trained myself to work through it. It takes time, but all you have to do is observe people and copy the things they do. Most of the things that make extroverts extroverts are things that are easily replicated since extroverted behavior is largely superficial.

The real secret is that you won't even have to say that much; you just have to make it appear as if you are interested. Do things like say good morning, ask about kids, ask about weekend, etc. Then sit back and listen to the extrovert talk. Extroverts love to hear themselves talk and love to be listened to. You'll learn things about them that you can use when working with them.

It's really not that painful to be an introvert in the working world so don't limit yourself to introvert jobs. It can be draining to "fake it" it all day, but you can rejuvenate with a book or movie on nights and weekends.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,440 times
I think it could be. You could also work for a company like Axiom that employs people just to sit in warehouses and review documents They also employ pretty good contract attorneys as well, but there is definitely a solitary component
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment