Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM

265 posts, read 347,701 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I need your advice with something.

Basically, I just got a full time job that I will be working 9-5 Mon-Fri, and I already have a part time job that I work at night from 6-10.

The problem is, I really love my current part time job and I do not want to leave. My current boss told me that it might be to much for me to work from 9 AM -10 PM.

Do you have a similar situation? How does working all day and having Weekends off feel? I feel that I want to do it but I also want to think of my personal life where I will be stuck at work for the entire week even though I have weekends off.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for answering my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:44 PM

323 posts, read 376,799 times
Really depends on what the two jobs are. I worked two jobs at one point, and it didn't work well. My day job had some situations where I'd have to work late, which would put me behind for getting to my second job. I rarely had an issue with making it on time, but occasionally I'd have to skip eating dinner in order to make it.

It just wore me out way too much. The weekends turned into a time where I wanted to do absolutely nothing to try and unwind, and I became depressed at the idea of having to start another week by Sunday afternoon.

Not worth it.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
I think it depends on you and where you are in life. A young single person can get away working those hours very easy. If you are married and or have kids it is much more difficult to justify the time away from the family.

I have worked 7 days a week for a few months but not that many hours everyday.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:11 PM

678 posts, read 875,513 times
It wouldn't be the worst thing if you are single. Nobody really hangs out or does anything fun on the weekdays, anyway.

Although, it is nice to come home from work and be able to relax and watch a movie. If you work from 9am to 10pm you can't really do that.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:18 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,712 times
I did that for two years when I was much younger and single. Def wouldn't want to do it now, but it was fine for awhile back then. All depends on you. You can certainly try it and see how well it works out. If not, then quit the job you like/need least.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:53 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
Yes, I did it in my 20s. I was single at the time. Long commute into DC for day job 8-4, then back out to the suburbs for my PT job which was 5 or 5:30 (can't recall) - 10:00pm or so. The PT job was M-Th and every other Saturday. It was exhausting and I got skinny from not having time to eat a decent dinner. But it was do-able, because I was young. And the money was nice.

It really isn't up to your boss at your PT job to tell you what you can and cannot do -- however, you might want to think about cutting back the hours at your PT job if you really want to keep it. That way you won't burn out too quickly.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:26 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
Hi there,

I need your advice with something.

Basically, I just got a full time job that I will be working 9-5 Mon-Fri, and I already have a part time job that I work at night from 6-10.

The problem is, I really love my current part time job and I do not want to leave. My current boss told me that it might be to much for me to work from 9 AM -10 PM.

Do you have a similar situation? How does working all day and having Weekends off feel? I feel that I want to do it but I also want to think of my personal life where I will be stuck at work for the entire week even though I have weekends off.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for answering my question.
I once worked from 8-4:30 Mon-Fri then Sat-Sun 12 mid- 12 noon.

Did that for a year and when I quit the weekend job, I was so relieved...

Don't burn the candle at both ends kid, you got a lot of life to ENJOY!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:42 AM

440 posts, read 549,484 times
I am currently on a schedule very similar and its more of a mental issue for me... YOU MUST BE ORGANIZED -- the stress of rushing and not having that "time" do grocery shop / doctors etc is the issue that got me at first.. . I am also single and in my 30s ( not sure if that is young or old anymore)

My advice is get organized and give it a try-- the extra paycheck is very nice..

( I also had a issue with sleeping and anxiety in the past-- Now I come home mentally satisfied and sleep like a baby)

Remember this is ALL how you YOU feel --- Give it a try !!

Let us know how it all works out

Old 02-14-2016, 02:10 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,314 times
I was able to keep up a similar working schedule for about a year and a half...then I just couldn't do it anymore. Part of my motivation for the double job was to get out of the house because I had a crappy live-in relationship going on at the time. Once I moved out I quickly gave up on the odd of two jobs. It was a worthwhile experience for me though. I was able to lay off a huge chunk of my student loan debt and I saved some money, too.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:27 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,531,971 times
I'd say give it a try and see how it works out for you. It's such an individual thing regarding whether it'll work for you or not. I never had those hours but I don't think I could do it, even in my younger years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment