Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 05:55 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,000,210 times

Advertisements

Do you have good workplace morale or is it low and what is the reasoning for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 06:19 PM

850 posts, read 903,757 times
My current job I just started 3 months ago but everyone seems content here. It's a small college town in West Virginia so not a lot of jobs around here unless you move to Pittsburgh which doesn't have a very good economy.

The company gives out 3% COL raises every year and 5-12% bonuses every year depending on your performance. The company allows you to apply to positions internally and get promoted to higher ranked positions. Revenue for the company is up.

Now my old company back in Atlanta. The morale sucked. I was a contingent working making $17 per hour with no benefits and the company would string temps along for years and never hire them. One contractor has been there for 2 years and is still a temp with no raises.

The full time employees haven't received a cost of living raise or bonus since the Kochs bought the company. Most of employees at my old company haven't received a promotion in years. In all honesty everyone in my department at my old job was in a dead end job except the R&D manager.

After 9+ months I had enough and moved to WV for my current job and I like the job and company so far.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:21 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,192,837 times
At the place I'm at currently- it's an 8 on a scale of 1-10....
Previously at the last place job, it was a 0 & it was also a
miracle that I didn't choke the living **** out of any of the whack jobs I put up with.

Looking back Idk why I stuck it out for as long as I did-
That staff was miserable, sneaky, sleazy & extremely unprofessional.

I will never put up w/ that level of insanity again, anywhere

Old 02-21-2016, 06:30 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,804,315 times
Last place...4---5, maybe.

I'm gone, next to leave is on the 29th (She got her job, I am so happy) we were the "Backbone" of the area. We had the place clean and ready for the next day. After the 27th, I'll NEVER risk buying sliced meat there as one of them didn't care to REALLY clean the slicers...The hot food? a Toss up....

Why? For me it was Customers, management and hours. For my co-worker, it was management lying to her as she wanted day hours (Can't fault her) They said they'd fix it...never did, lie to someone like that, forget apologizing....

Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 AM

1,485 posts, read 956,843 times
Workplace morale used to be pretty good at the site I'm at now. But It has gone down in a matter of months.
For the first 10 months on the job all of us had a good working relationship and liked eachother. We could trust eachother for help and backup if needed.
Around August of last year we got a new supervisor who had no previous experience in the industry and was made supervisor on her first day! (see the problem here?)

She sat at the cozy desk and hired a couple of her friends, set up a couple employees so they would fail, replace them with a couple of people she partys with at the bar, couldn't keep us at a predictable schedule. We'd get our work schedule for Monday the night before at 10pm.

She ended up getting fired for an argument with the boss about having certain days off.

Fast forward to now. One of her friends is still at the site. She calls the boss about once per week complaining about one of us. She flat out lied about me to the boss and the client. Just trying to cause drama and problems. She recruited another girl to complain to the boss about petty things.
I've never had to deal with such immature BS on a job. Not even while working at McDogcrap.

Those of us who are focusing on doing our job well are getting real tired of the crap from these two.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:41 AM

6,470 posts, read 7,814,772 times
It's low. The reason is mostly due to our supervisor. There are other factors however - breaks down kinda like this:

80% Supervisor
10% Tone at the top (the way the org is governed)
10% difficult employees

Although our current supervisor is terrible, I will also admit that we're a strong group and therefore can be difficult to supervise.

The traditional type of supervisions won't really work with us. But a good supervisor would understand that and adapt. And we of course should adapt as well but I truly believe we are very open to that and hunger for good leadership.

I'm a chipper guy so am better at dealing with it than my coworkers. I also care less about the actual work than my coworkers. A good attitude + understanding priorities and that work isn't the end all = a less miserable experience.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:34 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,562,085 times
Pretty good, overall. Everyone just got a 10%+ raise and a nice bonus check, but we are still critically understaffed in certain areas, which makes is harder on everyone everyday.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 PM

18,951 posts, read 11,612,159 times
Workplace morale is low where I am. It's worse since a colleague died recently, several others left, and several more positions are slated to be cut within the next year or so.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,821,014 times
Awesome! +1 for startup culture

Old 02-22-2016, 05:10 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,766,068 times
Low and keeps diminishing. Upper management recently decided on iron fist rule, and firing people for the most minor of offenses, even unintentional offenses. Either it's just posturing, or they really mean it, they don't seem to realize the consequences, or don't care, which seems foolish to me. The consequences are lack of morale, no willingness to go the extra mile, bare minimum work, and more time spent covering one's behind than anything productive. At worst, it induces paranoia and anxiety in workers, which can only be counterproductive, as well as unsafe. I work for an electric utility, and Thank God for our union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment