Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 05:59 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,017,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
She should get fired. And it doesn't matter whether there is a Union or not. Employers offer so much sick time and then when it's exhausted, you have to work. Unless you are major sick, like cancer, which would then be covered under FMLA.

Someone that is sick this much shouldn't be working. You should be working double time to support her because she stays sick all the time.

On a related note this is why America is going broke.

I think your on to something here.. but I have to say.. this is not the only reason why America is going broke, as you say it... (you would have to define what you mean by broke, I am not 100% sure America is going broke).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 06:25 PM

39 posts, read 56,454 times
Actually, at her job the sick hours accrued dont roll over into the following year and they get 7.30 hrs every 2 weeks. As for our oldest, shes still a teenager and even though she helps out when we are not there and at work, i dont think she could handle the baby in the state she was in from the teething, she would have drove her mad.

Also, my wife doesn't abuse her sick time. The last time she called out was around October. Another to keep in mind, I know this is probably not customary in other job fields, but in healthcare, when you call out you usually have to call out two days in a row otherwise they will mark it as an incident (i.e. calling out sick for one day and coming back the next doesn't make it seem like you're "sick" so to speak). When you call out three or more, they ask for a doc note.

Last edited by nycotherapist; 02-17-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 06:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
My wife works for a hospital in NYC. Shes been there for like almost 15 years. They give paid sick time but have no union. My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain. I was already at work that day and she didnt want to leave our oldest daughter to watch her by herself like that. So no one else to watch her that day.

Do you think she will get fired or just a warning?

If her job is that picky about calling in sick than you need to make sure that you have back-up care available if neither of you can take off of work, and it would be helpful to have back-up for your back-up child care. Yes, it is hard to find & arrange and yes, it may be expensive. But, losing your job can be even more expensive.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,285,788 times
7.3 hours every 2 weeks? That's like 2 days a month or 24 a year. Just for sick time?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,190,927 times
Most get 3-5 days a year if that.

What kind of job does your wife have?

Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,415,453 times
That's the great thing about America - you can be fired for almost any reason at the complete subjective discretion of your manager. That's capitalism!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,593,606 times
If she hasn't called off since October, then she would still have time earned since Jan 1. At 7.3 hrs every two weeks, she would have had at least 3 days sick time. Something doesn't add up here.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,454,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
How much work does she miss? How much sick leave does she get per year? Has she been talked to about her sick leave use? Unless she has significant and long term health issues, I am not sure how a 15 year employee doesn't have a bank of sick time. No one can tell you what the hospital is going to do; we don't know their polices and past practices, nor your wife's history.
Everywhere I worked, I never had "sick" time. I just had "PTO" time. Where all your vacations and sick time are rolled into one bank. So, if you use all your PTO time and don't save any in your bank, there goes all your sick time. For new employees, yes this is harder. But, even if in this situation if the OP's wife's does PTO time, I'm really curious how she has none left, unless if it's a really bad deal!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,338,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
7.3 hours every 2 weeks? That's like 2 days a month or 24 a year. Just for sick time?
I suspect what the OP was trying to say in the explanations about "incidents" vs. sick time, is that she used two days the first time she took off. And she might have taken two days off the second time, too. So since the year is only six weeks old, she hasn't accrued enough sick time to have taken three or four days.

It sounds like her employer is plenty generous with the sick time (when I worked 18 years at a Fortune 100 company, we had NO sick days — they were all at the personal discretion of our immediate manager). Health care facilities usually don't want sick people coming to work. So they offer sick days. But I'd say the OP's wife has started off the year on the wrong foot and is probably in for a talking to from HR. As for being fired, it probably depends on how essential her job is.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
In NY, you can get fired for any reason or nor reason.

But something isn't adding up with the number of sick days she's taken and what she has accrued so far this year. How can she be out of days already if she took 2 days? Sh should have at least 3 days at this point. This is an incredibly generous sick time benefit. I've never received more than 5 days per year. Neither has my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment