Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,824 times

Advertisements

My sister used to work for a staffing company, and they paid attention to work absences. I started a 6-week temp assignment with the option to apply for permanent status when it was up. I knew going in that my husband had an outpatient surgery one of those days. THEY knew that and said it was fine. So that's one day out of 30. My kids (who were middle school age at the time.) were in a school bus accident on the way to school, and I was called to go get them. I ended up at the doctor with my son, but he was able to go to school the next day. That was almost an entire day's absence. (I got called after being there for an hour.) When it came down to applying for the job, I was told I had "excessive absences".

I thought it was absurd, but my sister said it was about the numbers. 2 days out of 30 was considered "excessive".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 02:38 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How does she not have sick time in February? I doubt she will get fired for this, however you both need to work out a system where this doesn't happen again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's only February and she's already out of sick time? Your wife needs to grow up and quit coming up with lame excuses to lay out of work.
It accrues, it isn't given to you in a lump sum, and it doesn't roll over, which doesn't make much sense considering January-March is prime time to get sick...

So, they likely won't say anything about it unless she leaves the company "owing" sick time.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:50 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Why not rotate who stays home with the kids? I can't tell you the number of times one of my kids has gotten sick and my wife or I have had to stay home. There have been times where she was sick and stayed home, only to have a child get sick immediately after and I would have to rush home so she could get back to work. Or vice versa.

Something sounds fishy here....

Old 02-18-2016, 05:21 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,458,823 times
If you have worked somewhere 15 yrs and have NO sick leave left, something is not right.....either you are not healthy enough to be working or are taking advantage of sick leave.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,940,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
Actually, at her job the sick hours accrued dont roll over into the following year and they get 7.30 hrs every 2 weeks. As for our oldest, shes still a teenager and even though she helps out when we are not there and at work, i dont think she could handle the baby in the state she was in from the teething, she would have drove her mad.

Also, my wife doesn't abuse her sick time. The last time she called out was around October. Another to keep in mind, I know this is probably not customary in other job fields, but in healthcare, when you call out you usually have to call out two days in a row otherwise they will mark it as an incident (i.e. calling out sick for one day and coming back the next doesn't make it seem like you're "sick" so to speak). When you call out three or more, they ask for a doc note.
How old is your teen?? And the baby is teething NOT having a heart attack!!!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 06:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Why is the poster sending his wife out to work with a newborn in the first place? maybe he should get a better paying job and let her be a SAHM
Perhaps she doesn't want to be a sahm. what an unfair, sexist thing to say.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsong View Post
Just have to add.... severe menstrual cramps can be debilitating. There are conditions that worsen it, like fibroids or endometriosis. It's not exactly easy to pop a midol and get on with a normal life.
Ya, I know. I'm on the fence with that one. No way to know if it was justified or not.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Perhaps she doesn't want to be a sahm. what an unfair, sexist thing to say.

True, but do you think the teenage daughter wants to be a live in babysitter for their sibling? I'm guessing not. This couple chose to have another child, not the teen, so they need to figure their **** out when it comes to who's watching the baby.

This is why I chose to be a sahm for years.....it was easier than throwing my kid(s) in daycare, easier than dealing with who's staying home...thankfully it wasn't a financial burden for us, but not everyone can afford to live on one income (and that's another ball of wax to roll around!!!)

I'm still baffled that she's worked for this system for 15 yrs and has no friggin clue about the sick policy.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:46 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
If you have worked somewhere 15 yrs and have NO sick leave left, something is not right.....either you are not healthy enough to be working or are taking advantage of sick leave.

Or sick leave doesn't carry over from year to year and you only earn it on as the year goes on. I worked for companies many years ago where there was no sick leave, if you didn't work you didn't get paid. Those jobs were and are more common than a lot of people on this Forum realize.

I taught for 31 years (a bit more) and ended up with nearly 2 years of sick leave. I burned up almost 1/2 of that on terminal leave and officially retired with a year left.

I also worked with people who had the same length of service as me who had less than 50 days accrued. Not because they had a major illness but because they burned it almost as fast as they got it credited. We would get 10 days a year (after 15 years it was 15 days/year) and 4 personal days and there were people who were out of leave by the end of October every year.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I think it depends on the relationship you have with your superiors, whether you are leaving them in the lurch, causing someone to cover for you who isn't interested in doing so, and whether you make a habit of it.

I would do everything I could to find someone who will willingly take my shift.

I can't even relate because I've got over 700hrs of sick leave built up. Fortunately I never suffered from unbearable pms related problems during that time of my life. Honestly, I cringe that women use that as an excuse for Sick Leave. I've been in a male dominated field forever. You wanna clear a room in a second? Start talking about that!

One time I was talking (work related) to a female supervisor and a guy walked in and said he hoped he wasn't intruding. I said "No! Not at all!" then I turned back to her and 'continued' "...so my period lasted about 3 weeks and it was really awful!" That guy was GONE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment