Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:06 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

A very few people are lucky enough to truly have a passion for work that also pays; my own brother is one of them. He would do what he does even if he had to pay THEM in order to do it. But that's the exception and not the rule, in my own experience. I, for one, wasn't that lucky, but had to pay the bills anyway at some point! I did keep my passion as a hobby and survived, BTW.

Not only have kids ALL been brainwashed into thinking that four-plus years of college -- however useless the course of study -- is mandatory, they've been told to follow their dreams, hold out for jobs that excite them, and never settle for less. And live on what?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Work is for suckers. If you're smart, you'll manipulate the government. Disability pays more than most entry level jobs.

Even if you work hard and do well, you'll see most of your money go to taxes.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:09 PM

Bingo!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Heroic? by what standards? I could raise horses and be proud of it... I could be a farmer or anything else. Even people in the trades, they take pride in their work. They build solid houses, repair cars without cutting corners.

So what if someone sits in front of computer? I know statisticians who take pride in the quality of their work.

But you're right, I have no idea what working in call centers is like, hell I don't even know where to apply for one >.> But I do know if I am going to give 8 hours each day to it, I will take pride in that I do my best at it. Why? Because I take pride in myself and thus the quality of my work. If it isn't up to snuff, I will do what I can to correct and learn from it so it won't happen again.

Taking pride in your work does is a personal trait. It does not and should not reflect on how other people treat you. It's part of learning manners and holding doors growing up. You do it because you choose to, not because someone has to reward you for it each time you do it.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:13 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Maybe traditional work arrangements are changing, but the need to earn income isn't.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
I've got a plausible theory that may explain why many young adults nowadays haven't gotten much experience (worked much for pay):

Their parents raise them to do as well as possible in college. So they are urged to do extra curricular activities rather than getting a part-time job while in high school and college. And they are urged to concentrate on their studies/grades.

It means well and often works out fine. But very often recent college grads hit the job market with near zero work experience. IMO, even minimum wage jobs teach people important life/work lessons. Too much academia without practice can produce someone who is barely employable if their attitude for real work is missing.

I'm fine with much of Bernie Sanders' agenda but not for free university. Cost aside, it'll create alot of monsters, and there won't be enough jobs in their fields of study to go around. Real dumb idea.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:14 PM

I'm not so concerned about what form the work takes as I am about the whole concept of being self-supporting versus... What? Living off the air? Someone has to support you...

And I don't want it to be me!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:16 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
When I was a kid my passion was Chef Boyardee Ravioli.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Work is for suckers. If you're smart, you'll manipulate the government. Disability pays more than most entry level jobs.

Even if you work hard and do well, you'll see most of your money go to taxes.
Having worked many years in missions, halfway houses and prisons, I've seen many people who felt that way in their early years, but, who later realized that 'scamming the system' left them without dignity or pride ... and ultimately, robbed them of any avenue back into the system.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:19 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Having worked many years in missions, halfway houses and prisons, I've seen many people who felt that way in their early years, but, who later realized that 'scamming the system' left them without dignity or pride ... and ultimately, robbed them of any avenue back into the system.
But busting their butt for almost nothing gives them dignity and pride? I get why these people scam the system. I don't support it, but I can't blame them.

Also, lower income kids who get into crime (i.e. drug dealing)... better to be able to make several thousand in a week than work for $10 an hour at some big box store
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment