Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Oddly enough, his background would make him a good fit for a relationship banker. Look at local jobs at BoA, Wells Fargo, etc.

Make sure his resume highlights retail selling and ability to understand and absorb new product knowledge. Don't mention the old products he used to sell.

Link: Relationship Banker Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Also highlight his management experience. Do a combined/functional resume and put the Education section at the very bottom if he doesn't have a degree Combined Chronological Functional Resume Sample Combined Resume Sample Jobs Resume Example combination resume template for stay at home mom examples of combination resumes format combination resume template word
Thanks for the links to job openings, that'll help him get a feel for the job. I know right now, he can do insurance and some of his friends do that, but he also knows it's a lot of desk work. We discussed maybe him doing something "different" as in, going to people's homes instead of them coming into the office or doing it over the phone. That way, he's not at a desk, he's out and about, and he will hit those people that like face-to-face interaction and who may not have time to do it during regular business hours.

I appreciate the idea for the combined/functional resume. Great response, thank you so much! I'm writing all this down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
He's likely going to need a degree for that.

I wouldn't bail altogether on the insurance idea - as long as he stays away from the "agency builder" models he would be in an environment that has upward mobility possibilities, and advertising that brings customers to him.

Look for direct-writer companies that use local agencies. Geico has a few in select states, and there's a host of companies in the non-standard (high risk drivers) that use that same model.

Pretty easy office gig, way shorter hours than retail and pretty good pay (usually start in the mid 30's and go up from there)

For recruiting? Really? Not to say the recruiters I know don't have degrees, however, I wouldn't have thought a degree is necessary.

Thanks for the insurance information. I definitely have to write this down as I have no clue what all that meant. I'm sure he probably knows.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax717 View Post
Ok, I might get **** for this one.. lol!! Depending on where you live? What about timeshare sales?? Use to myself.. easy to make six figure income?? If good at it?
Haha. Well, I do know he has to be able to stand behind a product he sells, otherwise, he won't do a good job. So, unless he's all for timeshares, not sure if that'll happen. But I'll add it to my list. You never know.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Cummon now? A sales job that doesn't require selling (buyers come to you), a job where he can move a lot but not too much (so his back doesn't give out), and a job where he gets to manage others (i.e. he doesn't do any of the dirty work). When he finds his purple unicorn let me know cause I want a job there as well.
Not sure what your deal is. I'm not expecting some purple unicorn or anything. We just want to find him a job where he physically won't do more harm to his back (he doesn't want to be an invalid at 40 due to his job), do something he's good at and somewhat enjoys (sales/information/make ppl happy with a good product), and do what he has experience in (sales/management). We're both trying to think about our future, our physical health, and how we want to be living at 65. We both agreed we didn't want to be doing what we were doing, so we're trying to make some changes. That's not a purple unicorn, that's being smart and finding a good job that works better (not perfect, not even best, just better) for him.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Insurance sales is more about marketing than sales. If he wants to survive, he needs to learn how to market. He needs to learn how to network. He must pound the pavement for business. 70% of an insurance agents time should be invested in marketing, prospecting or networking.

He can still stay in insurance if he wants to. If he can just be a producer and not an agent. By being a producer, he can find places like a call center environment. He can sit at his phone and answer incoming calls or call out warm leads that came from direct mail or internet leads. But being a producer means huge compromise. No more big income. He'll just make enough to live on.

BTW, what is he license to sell? Life? Auto and Home? Being an insurance agent can be very, very profitable but to get there, you must pay your dues and do the things must people don't want to do. Those that are willing to do what it takes, they are very well off.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:14 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Look into IT sales. Learn salesforce. Lots of money to be made in that arena. Plenty of tech companies hiring remotely as well.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:56 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Look into IT sales. Learn salesforce. Lots of money to be made in that arena. Plenty of tech companies hiring remotely as well.
Trust me no one in IT and tech companies is going to hire a guy with Retail experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment