Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:33 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookEditor View Post
Honestly? I would continue to go into work and ignore it. You have done all you can. You have gone to the manager, you have gone to her, you have tried to be aware of her upset. Aside from giving her your check each week, I am guessing she is not going to be happy.
Excellent advice and it sums up that you've done all you can to make this situation right. She's got a chip that you can't remove. You've shown that you wanted to make peace, she obliged for a while and is now back to her 'old ways'. I commend you for your efforts - and am sorry that the lion is back in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by companyguy View Post
Hi all

Things got a slightly better for a while but the behaviour started again shortly afterwards. How would you handle this? Would it be wise to discuss this situation with my manager and mention the raise issue or keep quiet?
I'd say "Ignore it" there's times you just CANNOT make people like you.

You're making $$$ and that's what and where your focus should be.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by companyguy View Post
When I say a quiet word, this was in our cafeteria when it wasn't busy and there were other people about.

We used to get on well prior to this and I am quite sure all this originates from the raise I received. Raises and bonuses are kept hush hush in my company to avoid situations like this so I am suprised my manager saved this document on shared network space which can be viewed by other people.

I feel I should make my manager aware of the document and my concerns my colleague has seen it but am concerned the reaction will be that I shouldnt have looked at it either and land myself in hot water.

Thanks for all your advice so far.
Well that's OK as far as touching her goes, but since the cafeteria was empty unless those around could hear what you were saying she could still say you said something inappropriate to her. They were probably texting and not even noticing you. So not good witnesses if you needed a witness.

I would avoid being alone with her if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
How is she being hostile by not acknowledging your 'good morning'? It's rude, but certainly not hostile and HR would laugh you out of the office if you claimed hostility.

She doesn't like you, she doesn't have to like you and she doesn't have to tell you why she doesn't like you. My guess is it has nothing to do with your raise and more to do with your personality. Ignore her snarky comments, stop trying to have 'quiet words' with her and just do your job.

I agree that you should talk to your manager about the document being on a shared drive...income, raises and bonuses are no one's business and quite honestly, that's your only legitimate 'issue' in this thread.
Good advice.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:49 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,369 times
OP, is the coworker's attitude negatively affecting the work your employer needs from you?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 1,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
OP, is the coworker's attitude negatively affecting the work your employer needs from you?
No I wouldn't say it is. It just creates a bad atmosphere within our team. I think like others have said it is best just to ignore and not let her get under my skin.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:14 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
All 3 posts you have ever made in City-Data are in this thread/topic. What's your other C-D name?

Old 03-10-2016, 05:29 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Someone else here gave you very bad advice and told you to start looking for another job. Whatever you do don't do that. You are obviously a more valued employee than some and it would be a mistake to leave because of this jerk.

I would just avoid her and not try anymore. Do what you have to do to get along and get things done, but she doesn't like you and isn't your friend. You have to work with her, that's all.

I wouldn't bring it up right now with my employer either. Maybe if you are ever called into your bosses office for him to tell you about a new raise talk to him then. Just ask if they are confidential and explain what happened before without specifics or naming names. What happened was bad for employee moral. Maybe your boss doesn't see it or it could be it was done on purpose because he's someone that likes to stir things up. That kind of thing has to be handled carefully. You don't want to come across as complaining about getting a raise.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,165 times
Avoid and ignore her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment