Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 03:04 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,695,532 times

Advertisements

I'm reading all of these threads, along with articles online, LinkedIn, etc. to see the same thing echoed over and over. Americans need to compete in the market to retain their jobs, or face replacement.

As an American worker who was laid off and then replaced by foreign workers, and then laid off again (but not replaced, cost-elimination), how can I became more competitive in the market? I'm in IT (surprise).

I haven't seen anything substantial in these threads, or online really, detailing how an American can be more competitive. For instance in IT, when there are foreign workers who have more education than I do, more experience, and willing to take less than 35K, how can I become more competitive? Should I, along with thousands of American workers waste their time obtaining more degrees to become worthless pieces of paper? If the problem is experience, how can people get experience if employers won't hire them? Or they keep getting laid off?

I'm starting to wonder if I wasted my time and energy getting into IT, but at the end of the day I really enjoy software developing and the problem-solving rigor behind it. I enjoy working with technology and using software to solve complicated problems. But if there's someone else out there who enjoys those same things, but is cheaper, how can I compete? How does anyone else compete? The great irony behind this is an American can move overseas to attempt to retain their job, but those countries don't want Americans. They want American jobs.

We're living in a market where the "global workforce" is the new norm. The problem is how does an American show they're worth more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 03:27 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,968,315 times
By not whining so much. Immigrants don't complain as much as American workers do.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,290,878 times
You might have the right mind to get into "Data Science": Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century. There are a lot of course tracks in this area these days.

Last edited by bizcuit; 03-10-2016 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,374,990 times
No clue how a U.S. American can compete against someone in another country who is earning a dollar an hour. You can't compete with that! That is why so many jobs have been outsourced. We also have jobs being insourced because businesses don't want to pay their workers fair wages.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:54 PM

7,199 posts, read 9,350,835 times
Ross Perot warned about this in 1992. He was correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls

Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 PM

5,901 posts, read 3,911,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Ross Perot warned about this in 1992. He was correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls
Pretty much.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 PM

853 posts, read 650,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
No clue how a U.S. American can compete against someone in another country who is earning a dollar an hour. You can't compete with that! That is why so many jobs have been outsourced. We also have jobs being insourced because businesses don't want to pay their workers fair wages.
Volunteering? Seriously, I can´t understand why so many people get sponsorships to work in the US... Some of my colleagues from Europe failed even with Masters Degrees. I had the feeling that nowadays is very hard to live there legally as a foreign.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:01 PM

23,596 posts, read 24,130,589 times
By keeping your skills current, keeping your skills marketable, networking and staying abreast of the latest technology. It's not any guarantee (there are no guarantee's in life), but it will surely help you stay more competitive. Technology becomes
outdated quickly, and education along with being flexible is a great equalizer.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:17 PM

853 posts, read 650,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
By keeping your skills current, keeping your skills marketable, networking and staying abreast of the latest technology. It's not any guarantee (there are no guarantee's in life), but it will surely help you stay more competitive. Technology becomes
outdated quickly, and education along with being flexible is a great equalizer.
Just curiosity if it can help me to land a job, not in the US. Could you explain me how to make networking correctly? I would feel embarrased bothering Managers and others in Linkedin. Some tips please?

Old 03-10-2016, 07:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
You don't network through social media firstly... that is to stay connected, at least how I use it

I network in person or Internet. Internet, I join groups/forums and just contribute or talk and get to know people. Same way I do it in person, I go to group meets/events and just get to know people.

In IT space, I heard using github to post your works, be active doing who knows what? Artists used deviantart a while back but I lost contact with what they do. I think performing artists use youtube mostly now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment