Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM

853 posts, read 648,644 times

Advertisements

This is just only a thought. I have been working hard in a company for less than 35k but where I was living, life expenses are not as high as the US so I could say I don´t have a bad salary after all. I worked 12 hours a day, it was my first job so I can´t afford to fail because was this job or nothing else. This is not life, I didn´t have free time, my life was reduced to wake up, breakfast, go to the office at 08.00 a.m. and stay there working until 09.00 p.m or later, then have dinner and sleep. The next day I had the same routine on tuesday, wednesday, thursday and even fridays. I even had to work at home some weekends but I was unable to wake up early on weekends as I suffered back pain and terrible headaches. Unfortunately, I can't keep this routine more than a year. This is the life you want? Come on, there are more interesting things to do. We are humans not machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 09:42 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
By investing in the future of America and making public colleges and universities tuition free.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:09 PM

76 posts, read 72,779 times
Average Americans by and large are too lazy and don't think education is important. They can't really be competitive in the global economy. The exception is people gifted with naturally high IQs.

And by lazy and uncompetitive I mean starting at the grade school level. Kids in Vietnam, a 3rd world country, know more about math and computer science by the time they are in junior high than most "professional" adults working in IT in the USA. In comparison, American kids the same age are still crying because the school cafeteria doesn't offer pizza every day. Their parents aren't helping matters. Local parents generally rout the school boards to make sure their kids have LESS homework and studying to do.

I see the OP is in Minnesota, which is a backwater for software development in the first place. Want to meet a bunch of 45 year old software engineers in the Twin Cities? Just go to the REI in Bloomington or Roseville... because that's where they are working.

Your best bet for career longevity is to get an IT manager job with the state government or a federal agency operating in the state like the TSA or DNR. Or even better, get out of IT completely and just get some other government manager job.

Last edited by Chompy Omega; 03-11-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 12:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Ross Perot warned about this in 1992. He was correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls

you are completely correct. however in the USA we blame the worker who lost their job instead of the government and employer who created this situation and continue to support it.

We have sold out 90% of the population.

We have no social safety net worth speaking of.

We have limited healthcare.

we have highly costly education creating a roadblock.

But worst of all, worst of all, WE BLAME the victims. We blame them and tell them to "git gud".

The lack of empathy for our fellow Americans is undoing 200 years of hard work.

Your children, My children face a future where the vast majority well be much worse off than their parents.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:56 PM

259 posts, read 268,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
You don't network through social media firstly... that is to stay connected, at least how I use it

I network in person or Internet. Internet, I join groups/forums and just contribute or talk and get to know people. Same way I do it in person, I go to group meets/events and just get to know people.

In IT space, I heard using GitHub to post your works, be active doing who knows what? Artists used deviantart a while back but I lost contact with what they do. I think performing artists use YouTube mostly now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

By keeping your skills current, keeping your skills marketable, networking and staying abreast of the latest technology. It's not any guarantee (there are no guarantee's in life), but it will surely help you stay more competitive. Technology becomes outdated quickly, and education along with being flexible is a great equalizer.

Build relationships with people, by attending job related functions, such as trade shows and conferences.
Be widely known in your industry as a SME (Subject Matter Expert). Keep in touch with old colleagues, professors, vendors, classmates and customers. Help them out and they will do the same! Use LinkedIn to connect and network.
All good advice here.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Don't "compete". The best thing ANY American do is find an activity that provides an income without being an employee. Get over the idea you are required to serve an organization or "boss" and do it on your own.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Only loser US CEOs complain about Americans not being able to compete. I am an American, and compete just fine. I do this by thinking harder than my competition. Not working harder.

Today, too many Americans are preoccupied with hating on boogeymen like the 1% to be competitive. On top of that, they lust for the past, and dread the future. Yuck. No wonder this country is rotting.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:22 PM

928 posts, read 1,101,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Only loser US CEOs complain about Americans not being able to compete. I am an American, and compete just fine. I do this by thinking harder than my competition. Not working harder.

Today, too many Americans are preoccupied with hating on boogeymen like the 1% to be competitive. On top of that, they lust for the past, and dread the future. Yuck. No wonder this country is rotting.
You Are making way too much sense to bebposting on CD.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:26 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

I think this is pretty much it. Just be better than your competition, and you will make it.
I'm an immigrant myself, but never was paid less than my american-born IT co-workers. Having become a citizen long time ago, I've worked with other immigrants and H1B workers. What I've seen is mostly "best worker wins", but maybe I was just lucky with extremely fair employers .
I started working as a consultant a few months ago, and I deal with client's data. There are plenty of businesses who don't want people outside of the US handling their sensitive data. So, even though my role is not customer facing, I feel like my job is pretty secure. Still, I'm determined to become the best I can be at this job, because that is the only way to stay competitive!

Old 03-12-2016, 12:29 AM

601 posts, read 1,452,017 times
American pride, arrogance, lust for war, ethnocentric/tribal values and lack of global awareness will be it's downfall.

When you put more priority on professional athletes/celebs/unearned wealth over education/hard work ethic/learning a trade, you know the ship will be sinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment