Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 10:36 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,591,351 times

Advertisements

This isn't so much for me, but for my Father.

Originally he made about $12/hr, but had commission and other goodies. Till January of 2016. Then the company, which had already been cutting down on some things in the department, axed the commission. Dad was worried that they'd axe the department itself, but they haven't.

Then, over time, two guys left and went to a rival company. Then, my father's boss in the department did the same.

He used to go out on the road a lot as a salesman and could get away from the store, but there seems to be less and less available of that due to the new environment.

My Dad now says that he had thought of staying here to he retired but that that is no longer a good idea or that he can't bring himself to do it and is actively looking. He is hoping maybe to get something in a nearby state.

However, I keep reading about how hard it is to get a job over 50 and he's nearly 54.

I'm wondering if he transfers somewhere else, if they'd just, as he's not a veteran, broom him in a few years, or if he would be better risking it?

As for the continuing of his current position, it looks ok for this year and he doesn't know of any issues next year, but he said it's no longer pleasant anymore.

The pay cut has already hurt our family budget (luckily, we were probably over earlier as we could afford to go out to eat like 2 or so times per week, but now, maybe once every other week, or every 3-4 weeks.) However, I don't want him to get out of the frying pan and into the fire by going somewhere else and only lasting two years to get canned where he might not be as safe as he won't have in-site seniority and then he'd have NO income (or at least, other than our current funds and stocks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
The people over 50 that are getting jobs are those with skills requiring many years to master, such as engineering. For those requiring less education and skills employers tend to prefer younger people who can be paid less and will not cost them as much in benefits like healthcare. If he is eligible for a pension, I would suggest sticking it out to collect on it. If not, he can certainly look around, but should not quit until he finds something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment