Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:21 PM

22,596 posts, read 47,698,122 times

Advertisements

http://www.city-data.com/forum/great...more-jobs.html

Broadway performer & funeral director are two that come to my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 12:26 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnergyBar View Post
What career/field/jobs are automation proof?

The people doing the automation.

Someone needs to design, build, test, install, service, upgrade, etc these new automated systems and such.

As technology replaced jobs with automation, it also creates new jobs. The unfortunate reality, however, is that these new jobs are at a much higher skill level then the jobs they are replacing.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:49 PM

42 posts, read 22,640 times
Some others:

1. Physically based blue-collar jobs (construction, electrician, plumber, maintenance, etc), although the caveat is these are still subject to competition from cheaper immigrants

2. Government/state jobs in general, "politician" in particular seems to be immune to both outsourcing and automation , certain government jobs ARE highly susceptible to automation though for example the military and air force (could eventually be replaced with terminators and autonomous drones respectively).

3. Black market or "underground" activities obviously, including oldest profession, none of those will go away

4. Jobs that depend on human touch or actual human involvement such as message therapy, actor, musician, dancing, therapist, etc

5. Certain white-collar jobs that are generally so complicated even a machine can't do them, such as experienced trial lawyer, but as AI improves i suspect even a lot of these white-collar jobs may be threatened, for example they may eventually come out with robots that can perform surgery better than a human

The future will be.... interesting from the looks of it, you have to really wonder if the government will be forced to implement guaranteed income with such a huge percentage of the population likely to be unemployed and without any money. Desperate and hungry people don't stay calm for long if history is any indication.

And of course, its not practical at all to literally have billlions of people re-train themselves as robotics engineers or robot mechanics.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The people doing the automation.

Someone needs to design, build, test, install, service, upgrade, etc these new automated systems and such.

As technology replaced jobs with automation, it also creates new jobs. The unfortunate reality, however, is that these new jobs are at a much higher skill level then the jobs they are replacing.
There you go. It's gotta come from somewhere.

Also how about mechanical techs that service automation. I see that offered at a lot of community colleges now.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:31 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Precisely. If that wasn't true the change wouldn't have happened in the first place. To reduce real cost you must reduce the aggregate labor.
Right !

How in the world can posters proclaim that automation will create more jobs than it destroys and those will be higher paying jobs ?

Did some of you flunk basic math ?

more jobs at higher wages due to automation would result in products/services being way higher after automation.

What would be the point in going automated if it resulted in more employees at higher wages ?

Old 10-21-2016, 03:27 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Right !

How in the world can posters proclaim that automation will create more jobs than it destroys and those will be higher paying jobs ?

Did some of you flunk basic math ?

more jobs at higher wages due to automation would result in products/services being way higher after automation.

What would be the point in going automated if it resulted in more employees at higher wages ?
Umm that is a bit of an oversimplification. Actually that is a gross simplification. Yes automation can cause a loss of jobs, but typically it creates new ones, too. Too much to explain, but here is one quote that may help explain one out of hundreds of reasons why it creates more jobs. In a nutshell, it involves economics, consumerism, and sociology in addition to basic math to understand why this is so.

Quote:
Automation reduces the cost of a product or service, and lower prices tend to attract more customers.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...rs-data-census

Why Computers Aren't Going to Steal Everyone's Jobs - The Atlantic

https://eagletechnologies.com/5-new-...by-automation/

Old 10-21-2016, 09:41 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,275,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Umm that is a bit of an oversimplification. Actually that is a gross simplification. Yes automation can cause a loss of jobs, but typically it creates new ones, too. Too much to explain, but here is one quote that may help explain one out of hundreds of reasons why it creates more jobs. In a nutshell, it involves economics, consumerism, and sociology in addition to basic math to understand why this is so.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rs-data-census

Why Computers Aren't Going to Steal Everyone's Jobs - The Atlantic

https://eagletechnologies.com/5-new-...by-automation/
Those articles are by economists not people who work in the tech field whose opinion I would trust more. Economists look at technology through a business standpoint and by what has happened to the economy in the past. Many of them do not fully understand how technology works. The first article you posted only used two countries the second said that right now technology will not eliminate more jobs then it creates but it could in the future and all your third one shows is right now there are jobs in technology available none of them prove that jobs will not be automated.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:54 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
I have to laugh at the thread's title.

In undergrad Effective Speaking class, my subject was "Is Automation Causing Unemployment?"

After weighing the Pros and Cons, my conclusion was that automation enhances the economy.

Got an A on that particular project, which was especially gratifying because I have always been/and continue to be terrible at public speaking.

By the way, the year was 1963.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:33 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I have to laugh at the thread's title.

In undergrad Effective Speaking class, my subject was "Is Automation Causing Unemployment?"

After weighing the Pros and Cons, my conclusion was that automation enhances the economy.

Got an A on that particular project, which was especially gratifying because I have always been/and continue to be terrible at public speaking.

By the way, the year was 1963.

In the 21st century, 53 years do change things, it reduces total jobs, by a huge margin. At one subsidy of my last corp, we took out 35 spots in a decade; at our sisters hundreds more. The total cost for the division overall was under $10 million, and in all likelihood, the manufacturer of the automation spent, no doubt, under $1.5 mill on the labor to produce these machines/robots. If we figure each employee cost $100k with benefits, it took 15 FTEs to make our automation which took out hundreds of jobs.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:56 PM

901 posts, read 747,798 times
I heard the invention of the wheel killed a lot of jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment