Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 886 times

Advertisements

I graduated college in 2014 with a degree in atmospheric science and I been searching where I can apply for job related to this field. National Weather Service are on a hiring freeze I last heard but I just cannot think of any other place that would have jobs related to this field. I currently work at a moderate size company as a contractor doing tech support using MySQL, some programming, building scripts and so on. It seems California where I currently live do not have many jobs in atmospheric science. It so frustrating because I find this job very boring. Same thing each day, nothing exciting like the weather where it something new everyday or study how air quality changed over period of time. I just want to do something I really enjoy doing because when I enjoy it, I excel at it. I just don't know how to get out of this horrible ditch. I just don't know what do next. I'm thinking maybe I should look for science jobs outside of the US and maybe try Europe or Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 PM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
Would you be willing to relocate?

That will have a big impact on what kinds of jobs you can find. Then there's this regarding schools:

NWS JetStream - Careers in the National Weather Service

Was your school one of the ones that meet requirements? At the end, it's mentioned competition is fierce, so some students go on to pursue Master's degrees in the subject. Would that be an interest to you?

If not (and I can understand completely) there's the option of the military, or maybe look at airline industry. I really hope you can work something out, it's kind of a tough market for professionals (in many fields). Good luck.

Last edited by nostoneunturned; 04-04-2016 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Wording

Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Would you be willing to relocate?

That will have a big impact on what kinds of jobs you can find. Then there's this regarding schools:

NWS JetStream - Careers in the National Weather Service

Was your school one of the ones that meet requirements? At the end, it's mentioned competition is fierce, so some students go on to pursue Master's degrees in the subject. Would that be an interest to you?

If not (and I can understand completely) there's the option of the military, or maybe look at airline industry. I really hope you can work something out, it's kind of a tough market for professionals (in many fields). Good luck.
Thanks for the post.

I have thought about it and will be willing to relocate if needed.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:30 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
If you take away the "atmospheric science" part and think about it, what was your degree in actually? No, I'm not trying to make a joke or being sarcastic, but trying to open the door to thinking a different way about your degree and where you could go with it. For example, seems like you are already partially into data and analytics. That's a path there, both private sector and gov. Or perhaps Ops Research? Remote sensing/satellite ops for either gov or industry. Agriculture and commodities -- planning and predicting crop yields for market forecasting.

Where I'm going is to think of what you know and can do, not that degree X = job X.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,885 times
It's pretty much the same as a meteorology degree. It can be a very crowed field. There are jobs out there but you will have to go to them. TV stations will hire with this degree for newscasts. But you have to start in a small market and pay is low. The oil industry is hot now as far as research and forecasting trends. These jobs pay very well, with most in the Houston and Washington DC areas.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:45 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
What jobs did you plan on doing when you started that degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment