Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 11:13 AM

404 posts, read 366,690 times

Advertisements

At this point, I feel hopeless....

I left a job that wasn't that great, for something that was higher paying and what I was told was a "better opportunity", well fast forward 9 months, and I do not share that opinion any longer.

I got what I feel is the worst supervisor in the entire call center. Originally when I started, I was told during the interview that there was room to move up and most people move up between 3- 6 months, well since i have started, that has not been the case. I have been constantly lied to by my supervisor and upper management.

I have a BA and a MPA AND experience as a customer representative. They are aware and I have told my supervisor about my experience as well. The morale on my team is super low for several reasons.

1. We are seeing other people on other teams promoted. Not one person on our team has been promoted (out of 26 people) since I got hired there,but other people on other teams have been.

2. My supervisor has consistantly lied to me about promotions. First she told me I needed 90 days in my position, then she told me that I needed more training. Five months later, I got that training, and then she said I need another 90 days in that position and that came about. Several positions have come up and I told her I wanted to apply. My numbers are good and the reason she told me that she couldn't recommend me was because I was "too analytical".

3. Oh and we HAVE to let our supervisor know that we are going for a position, why I do not know. I put in for two new positions two weeks ago and have not heard anything.

4. I told her that I felt like I was going "backwards" and not forwards. I told her I would like a new challenge, more work etc. The other day we were told we were going on a 'scavenger' hunt. Yay, fun right? Nope, it was 25 questions on a sheet of paper with a "bonus question" about where to find information in the computer...can anyone say homework?

5. Another thing that happened was that we were told about a company wide potluck, that WE had to pay for! So we bring food for 200 people, only to find out that we were the ONLY team to bring food food, all the other teams brought cheap stuff like drinks and nachos...that ticked everyone off.

Anyways, a lot of people would just tell me to leave at this point, and I really want to. I can't stand this supervisor. I have caught her in lies and upper management just covers for them so they are no help, but this position pays me almost 17 per hour and its really hard to find something that pays that much in my city. Also, I went back to school as well for a degree in Corporate Communications considering that it is more useful than what I studied(History) so I could find a better job since I don't want to be working in call centers for the rest of my life. If i wasn't going for the degree then I would just save up 5 grand and just quit. I hate that everyone I meet outside of work has good jobs(one friend works in HR, the other is a business office manager) and I really wished I had majored in business. So what do I do? I dont want to just jump from one bad job to another, but I feel like Im going backwards and not forwards, help!

P.S. At the rate that I am going 3-6 hrs a semester. It will take me 3 years to finish my degree, should I just hunker down and just try to do more hours to hurry up and finish? It will be a challenge doing 9-12 hours a semester, but it will also be harder for me to save if something goes wrong at this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 11:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
I'd just keep applying for jobs at the company and OUTSIDE the company....

Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
You already have 2 degrees, look for something else outside of the company. Your supervisor sounds like a micromanaging dysfunctional supervisor.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:09 AM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
I went back to school as well for a degree in Corporate Communications considering that it is more useful than what I studied(History) so I could find a better job since I don't want to be working in call centers for the rest of my life.
You were a History teacher for a while ,right? Did you look into other teaching jobs? Or did you find out that teaching just isn't for you?

Old 04-17-2016, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 815 times
You've already got two degrees! Why do you think one more degree will make the job search any easier?

Keep fighting for the promotion. Unless you believe things will magically get better at the company when you get the promotion, though, I'd start looking outside the company as well.

Start off getting coffee with people you know already who work in other industries. Ask them about their work. Be interested in them, but also you'll start to get a sense for how other more functional companies work. They may tell you about kinds of jobs you didn't know existed. Don't burden them with your problems, but at the very end of the conversation ask them briefly for advice.

You'll be surprised how much people are willing to help, especially if they know you're a good person stuck in a bad job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment