Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I started a new job at the beginning of this month. The company seemed like it promoted a great work environment. The people seemed happy. There seemed to be a lot of opportunity here.

Anyway, I recently asked my supervisor about what her specific policy was on setting up doctor's appointments and such if they needed to be made during office hours. I was trying nothing more than to be knowledgeable of this policy in the event that something comes up down the road where I need to make an appointment during office hours. As a matter of fact, I know that I will need to have some dental work done in the not too distant future.

So I get a response back from her and her first sentence is: "May I remind you that you are in your first 90 day period". She then went on to explain that they'd prefer if appointments were made after office hours (which is nearly impossible since most doc's offices I know of are closed by 6 and aren't open on weekends), but if absolutely necessary, to get with her to work it out.

First off, I'm not an idiot. I understand what a probationary period is, and I have no intention to start cutting out of work every week to make special "appointments". Secondly, am I to be punished during this 90 day period if I must visit the doctor? I personally felt this comment was outrageous and unnecessary. Is she suggesting that I better not require medical attention for the next three months? If my tooth got knocked out in some freak accident, am I going to be fired for having to have it fixed during business hours?

I just thought it was ridiculous for her to make such a trivial comment so early on in our working relationship. Furthermore, I think it's poor management skills to attempt to instill fear in your subordinates like this. This company boasted a good work-life balance, but I'm beginning to have serious doubts as to whether this will actually be the case.

Sorry for the rant. This is just what I wanted to say to her in response, but for obvious reasons, could not.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM

331 posts, read 956,455 times
I don't think it was very smart of you to ask what you did. Why would you ask such a thing so early in employment when you are trying to prove the type of worker that you are? In my opinion, it may present yourself in a poor light and your supervisor may be wondering what types of possible red flags to be expecting of you in the future. She is correct; you are in your probationary period and your job during that time is to impress her. It is not impressive to inquire about something that is not of immediate concern. If you wanted to get dental work done, you should have taken care of it beforehand. The dental work can wait and so can the unnecessary emails. If you must get it done, take care of it after hours. As a new employee in your probationary period, you shouldn't have to be told to make doctor's appointments after hours. It is common sense.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
She was snippy, but I imagine most managers would be in the same situation. You should have asked about the policy first, and waited for a response, before proclaiming that you already plan on being absent. And you should be asking the person responsible for establishing policy, who is probably not your immediate supervisor.

By the way, there is no rule that a company has to give you time off, not even during an emergency. Not as a regular employee, and definitely not as a probationary employee. It's a bit draconian to not allow it, but it's something you should keep in mind as an employee--they are not required to grant you time off. Moreover, most employers define sick time as time needed for unexpected health reasons. Dental work that is planned months in advance would not qualify. Vacation time would need to be used, and that must be earned and accrued before you use it. Most people, when planning to change jobs, take these things in mind and try to get things 'out of the way beforehand' so that they don't have to worry about needing to take time off for the first few months.

On another note--have you confirmed that pre-existing conditions clauses won't apply to this upcoming dental work? Most policies have a rider that exclude conditions that were known before hire, for six months to a year after hire. I think this will change under healthcare reform, but that won't take affect for several months.

Covered or not, it may be wise at this point for you to postpone the dental work until this has blown over.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 PM

256 posts, read 894,283 times
Seemed like a reasonable question. I personally wouldn't have asked it only because if I need to go to the doctor, I'll go to the doctor. I'll tell my boss at least 3 days in advance that I have an appointment at this time on this date. I've never even phrased it like I was asking for permission. Now if my boss has a problem with it, I'll leave it up to him to say something about it otherwise I don't bring it up again. If you work a 9 - 5, M - F there's usually no way around taking care of personal matters during work hours. Just try to not to make it a habit.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
She was snippy, but I imagine most managers would be in the same situation. You should have asked about the policy first, and waited for a response, before proclaiming that you already plan on being absent. And you should be asking the person responsible for establishing policy, who is probably not your immediate supervisor.

By the way, there is no rule that a company has to give you time off, not even during an emergency. Not as a regular employee, and definitely not as a probationary employee. It's a bit draconian to not allow it, but it's something you should keep in mind as an employee--they are not required to grant you time off. Moreover, most employers define sick time as time needed for unexpected health reasons. Dental work that is planned months in advance would not qualify. Vacation time would need to be used, and that must be earned and accrued before you use it. Most people, when planning to change jobs, take these things in mind and try to get things 'out of the way beforehand' so that they don't have to worry about needing to take time off for the first few months.

On another note--have you confirmed that pre-existing conditions clauses won't apply to this upcoming dental work? Most policies have a rider that exclude conditions that were known before hire, for six months to a year after hire. I think this will change under healthcare reform, but that won't take affect for several months.

Covered or not, it may be wise at this point for you to postpone the dental work until this has blown over.
That's just it. I never said I had an appointment. I was just asking what the policy was in the event that I do have one (and I most likely will have one over the course of my employment). Also, I looked through the employee hand book and there was no mention of a policy towards scheduling standard doctor's appointments. Since I am her direct report, who better to ask?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
I don't think it was very smart of you to ask what you did. Why would you ask such a thing so early in employment when you are trying to prove the type of worker that you are? In my opinion, it may present yourself in a poor light and your supervisor may be wondering what types of possible red flags to be expecting of you in the future. She is correct; you are in your probationary period and your job during that time is to impress her. It is not impressive to inquire about something that is not of immediate concern. If you wanted to get dental work done, you should have taken care of it beforehand. The dental work can wait and so can the unnecessary emails. If you must get it done, take care of it after hours. As a new employee in your probationary period, you shouldn't have to be told to make doctor's appointments after hours. It is common sense.
I don't agree with your assessment at all, but it seems you are also under the impression that I told her I had an appointment coming up. I did not mention that, nor do I have an appointment coming up. As I explained above to kodaka, I was just asking what the policy was in the event that I need to visit the doctor (and I'm sure I will eventually). Just trying to be proactive and prepared. I don't see how that puts me in a bad light. If anything, maybe paints me as a forward thinker .

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM

331 posts, read 956,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
I personally wouldn't have asked it only because if I need to go to the doctor, I'll go to the doctor. I'll tell my boss at least 3 days in advance that I have an appointment at this time on this date.
Exactly. You simply give your employer notice beforehand. You don't email weeks or months in advance when you do not have anything scheduled. Specifically asking what the policy is makes it a much larger deal than it has to be. Your supervisor now may wonder if you might have to miss work frequently to attend to doctor's appointments.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Why didn't you get this taken care of before starting the new job? At any rate, a probationary period in today's economy means you put on your best behavior and don't give them a reason to terminate you soon enough that you cannot collect unemployment, unless you were laid off from your previous employer and can continue that claim. If she is trying to imply that your a temporary slave during the probationary period, it's kind of because you are. Hiring managers love to see some desperation in their new hires until they have proven something to the employer. It's a little too soon to be asking about vacation time, sick time, etc. They expect your undivided attention to be placed on learning your new job.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
Just try to not to make it a habit.
Absolutely. I'm 25 and pretty healthy. OTOH, I do visit the doctor or dentist from time to time. I just thought her response was unnecessary since it's not as if I have a reputation of pulling these kinds of shenanigans.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Exactly. You simply give your employer notice beforehand. You don't email weeks or months in advance when you do not have anything scheduled. Specifically asking what the policy is makes it a much larger deal than it has to be. Your supervisor now may wonder if you might have to miss work frequently to attend to doctor's appointments.
Okay, but I still don't agree with your assessment. I think it's fair to both me and my employer to ask what they would prefer when I'm making an appointment. Am I just supposed to take my chances down the road and tell her "Yo, I have to go to the doctor's on Friday (I'm telling you, not asking)." Telling your supervisor what is doesn't seem to be any better than asking what if. If anything, it seems like a worse approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment