Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Have you never held an office job before?? In most 9-5 jobs, you just quietly sign out and get back as quickly as you can. You don't have to get permission to do it. Most people schedule appointments around lunchtime or first or last thing of the day, so as to minimize their time away.

Of course as said above, if it becomes habit, that's another matter that needs to be discussed. But if you're just going to your semi-annual checkup, then you usually don't need to share that fact with your team.
Whatever, man. I guess my bad for trying to act responsible. I'm so naive for asking my boss about a policy.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yes, I would say you've gotten off on the wrong foot, and the attitude you've display here indicates you intend to keep walking that path.
How do you come to this conclusion?

Old 08-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28
(ie. delay the appointment).
And when the time comes, then what? Just sneak out? Tell her what's up and when I'll be back (when I'm good and ready, that's when)? I expected a sense of responsibility and ethics from professional adults, not advice on how to manipulate the system and how to avoid getting caught. Jee whiz, the advice on this board has gone down the toilet.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:51 PM

331 posts, read 956,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
And when the time comes, then what? Just sneak out? Tell her what's up and when I'll be back (when I'm good and ready, that's when)? I expected a sense of responsibility and ethics from professional adults, not advice on how to manipulate the system and how to avoid getting caught. Jee whiz, the advice on this board has gone down the toilet.
Family_guy and kodaka have already explained to you what is normal and expected in an office environment. It is NOT normal to approach the situation as you have. It raises red flags.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 PM

331 posts, read 956,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Jee whiz, the advice on this board has gone down the toilet.
There is a reason why your supervisor has responded in a snippy manner to you. The comments from the posters here have clearly enumerated these reasons. If you fail to agree with it or understand it, that is your problem.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
There is a reason why your supervisor has responded in a snippy manner to you. The comments from the posters here have clearly enumerated these reasons. If you fail to agree with it or understand it, that is your problem.
Yeah, three people agree with each other on some random forum. That is hardly a consensus. I've known much larger groups of ill-advised human beings to exist (Nazis, slave-holders, KKK members, et al).

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 08-15-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Family_guy and kodaka have already explained to you what is normal and expected in an office environment. It is NOT normal to approach the situation as you have. It raises red flags.
With the exception of Family_guy, yes. Thus far, I have been advised to withhold information from my boss, sneak out, lie about hours worked, tell my boss what is going to happen (don't ask)....

Yikes, maybe that is considered normal these days.

What happens if I get caught? Boss calls, I no answer. Asks co-worker where I am. Tells boss I left 45 mins ago without saying a word. Me gets fired. Me no like. Then I come on the forum to vent and the very same people will condemn me for not showing personal responsibility or work ethic. I have learned that some people just like to voice an opinion, no matter how well-thought out it might be.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 08-15-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
NO, no one is telling you to sneak out or lie. Jesus, you twist words. You are making this far, far more complicated than it needs to be.

When you are paid salary, you are paid to get the work done. Not to punch a clock. That means, if you need to leave to take care of something, you don't need to punch out or let everyone know. You just go, and get back and get your work done. Filing paperwork and requests for approval for a hour-long absence wastes valuable work hours, usually more than you'll actually be gone for. And since they have to pay you anyway (read my previous comment about laws regarding absences for salary workers), there's no advantage to doing all that. So it's handled informally.

If this is how you deal with everything, I can understand why your boss is so irritated with you all ready. Your goal as a new employee is to be agreeable, not difficult and obtuse.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
NO, no one is telling you to sneak out or lie. Jesus, you twist words.
Really? Seems pretty clear to me...Whadya' know, it's from your post:

Quote:
Have you never held an office job before?? In most 9-5 jobs, you just quietly sign out and get back as quickly as you can. You don't have to get permission to do it.

Quote:
That means, if you need to leave to take care of something, you don't need to punch out or let everyone know. You just go, and get back and get your work done. Filing paperwork and requests for approval for a hour-long absence wastes valuable work hours, usually more than you'll actually be gone for. And since they have to pay you anyway (read my previous comment about laws regarding absences for salary workers), there's no advantage to doing all that. So it's handled informally.
Maybe that's how it works at your place of employment. I'm not going to just assume that's how it works at this place. Please forgive me for doing my due diligence.

Quote:
If this is how you deal with everything, I can understand why your boss is so irritated with you all ready. Your goal as a new employee is to be agreeable, not difficult and obtuse.
My boss isn't "so irritated" with me. Talk about twisting words. I can tell you're getting frustrated now that you're trying to paint a false, negative picture of me . You are excused from this discussion if you wish to continue your slanderous comments.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Quote:
Stop arguing for the sake or arguing, kodaka. You do this constantly. You can become so irritating at times. I had a co-worker just like you. You'd say one thing, and he'd say another just to have an opposing viewpoint. You basically start an argument on every thread you post on. Have you noticed? I don't understand it. I assume it's out of boredom. You're like Cruella DeVille or that nasty boss from the Devil Wears Prada. You're so cynical and argumentative. Did you know you can actually make a point without sounding so rigid and vengeful? You should try it some time, you might actually get a kick out of having people enjoy conversing with you rather than fear reading your next post on their thread. Just sayin'

Sincerely,

~Z3N1TH
You should try listening to the advice you've been given, instead of responding that everyone else is wrong. It seems pretty universal that everyone understands why your boss responded the way she did, to everyone but you. Just sayin'

And, look up the word slander. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment