Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,975,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why didn't you get this taken care of before starting the new job? At any rate, a probationary period in today's economy means you put on your best behavior and don't give them a reason to terminate you soon enough that you cannot collect unemployment, unless you were laid off from your previous employer and can continue that claim. If she is trying to imply that your a temporary slave during the probationary period, it's kind of because you are. Hiring managers love to see some desperation in their new hires until they have proven something to the employer. It's a little too soon to be asking about vacation time, sick time, etc. They expect your undivided attention to be placed on learning your new job.
Wasn't really on my mind at the time. What can I say? Seems pretty silly to bring something like that up during an interview, no? But now that I work for them, I don't see how it's so ludicrous to know this sort of thing.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 PM

331 posts, read 957,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I don't agree with your assessment at all, but it seems you are also under the impression that I told her I had an appointment coming up. I did not mention that, nor do I have an appointment coming up. As I explained above to kodaka, I was just asking what the policy was in the event that I need to visit the doctor (and I'm sure I will eventually). Just trying to be proactive and prepared. I don't see how that puts me in a bad light. If anything, maybe paints me as a forward thinker .
Your employer wants you to be forward thinking in terms of your duties, NOT in terms of your personal health. If you do not have any scheduled doctor's appointments, then you are simply burdening your supervisor with unnecessary emails. If you have a scheduled appointment that happens to fall during your working hours (and, as a probationary employee, I would do everything I could to make it outside of working hrs and/or delay the appointment), that is when you address your supervisor.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
Quote:
Wasn't really on my mind at the time. What can I say? Seems pretty silly to bring something like that up during an interview, no? But now that I work for them, I don't see how it's so ludicrous to know this sort of thing.
Didn't they give you a packet of information outlining the various rules and policies? I would imagine you need to accrue some time off first, unless you are planning to take an unpaid day off. She may have mentioned the probationary period thing as a way to say, yea you can miss, but don't expect to get paid.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
Your employer wants you to be forward thinking in terms of your duties, NOT in terms of your personal health. If you do not have any scheduled doctor's appointments, then you are simply burdening your supervisor with unnecessary emails. If you have a scheduled appointment that happens to fall during your working hours (and, as a probationary employee, I would do everything I could to make it outside of working hrs and/or delay the appointment), that is when you address your supervisor.
Again, I'd prefer to ask before rather than tell her what's up later. I personally think the latter is negligent. My opinion though.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Didn't they give you a packet of information outlining the various rules and policies? I would imagine you need to accrue some time off first, unless you are planning to take an unpaid day off. She may have mentioned the probationary period thing as a way to say, yea you can miss, but don't expect to get paid.
They did, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, it did not mention anything about how they handle doctor's appointments. Long-term and short-term disability, sure. But not doctor's appointments. This is something that would have to be addressed with your team supervisor, or the individual who is responsible for you in your daily activities.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
Quote:
Good god, of course you don't bring it up in the interview either. When I and others said take care of we meant just that. TAKE CARE Of. As in, schedule the appointment while at your previous job. Or at least, before you started this one.

If you are planning to look for a new job, you should get things like this out of the way before you start interviewing. I mean if you are talking about just a check-up, that can't be avoided because you need them every six months. But you say dental work which sounds like something significant like crowns or caps or a root canal or something.

And as for the reason most of us thought you had told her you had upcoming time off--we assumed that for the same reason your boss did. Because why else would you bring up the topic if you didn't have time off. And after all, we were all right, weren't we? You are planning to take time off in the near future, and that was why you sent the email.

You do have to think about how emails will be received and interpreted, before you send them. Sounds like a good lesson for you for the future.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,558,628 times
Yes, I would say you've gotten off on the wrong foot, and the attitude you've display here indicates you intend to keep walking that path.

In your shoes, I would attempt to patch things up by accepting her position and authority, and putting her thoughts above yours until you've proven your capabilities.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
Quote:
They did, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, it did not mention anything about how they handle doctor's appointments. Long-term and short-term disability, sure. But not doctor's appointments. This is something that would have to be addressed with your team supervisor, or the individual who is responsible for you in your daily activities.
Have you never held an office job before?? In most 9-5 jobs, you just quietly sign out and get back as quickly as you can. You don't have to get permission to do it. Most people schedule appointments around lunchtime or first or last thing of the day, so as to minimize their time away.

Of course as said above, if it becomes habit, that's another matter that needs to be discussed. But if you're just going to your semi-annual checkup, then you usually don't need to share that fact with your team.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM

331 posts, read 957,029 times
Quote:
Okay, but I still don't agree with your assessment. I think it's fair to both me and my employer to ask what they would prefer when I'm making an appointment. Am I just supposed to take my chances down the road and tell her "Yo, I have to go to the doctor's on Friday (I'm telling you, not asking)." Telling your supervisor what is doesn't seem to be any better than asking what if. If anything, it seems like a worse approach.
Yeah, that is like asking the girl you are out on a first date with how you guys are going to handle the bill when they are bringing out the appetizer. If you are smart, you will just cover the bill (ie. delay the appointment).

Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Good god, of course you don't bring it up in the interview either. When I and others said take care of we meant just that. TAKE CARE Of. As in, schedule the appointment while at your previous job. Or at least, before you started this one.

If you are planning to look for a new job, you should get things like this out of the way before you start interviewing. I mean if you are talking about just a check-up, that can't be avoided because you need them every six months. But you say dental work which sounds like something significant like crowns or caps or a root canal or something.

And as for the reason most of us thought you had told her you had upcoming time off--we assumed that for the same reason your boss did. Because why else would you bring up the topic if you didn't have time off. And after all, we were all right, weren't we? You are planning to take time off in the near future, and that was why you sent the email.

You do have to think about how emails will be received and interpreted, before you send them. Sounds like a good lesson for you for the future.
I guess I just don't understand how asking:

"In the event that a team member needs to go to the doctor or dentist, how do you prefer they handle this with you?"

is such a cluster**** of a question. Maybe people need to learn not to assume the worst or extrapolate. If I needed to go to the doctor for something that needed immediate attention, my question would be much more straight forward, such as:

"My ulcer is hemorrhaging and I need to visit the doctor. Does Friday work for you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment