Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 7,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
Do you live in an impoverished area? It is very odd to hear about a dentist struggling financially. My dentist friends owning practices are raking in the money, the ones being employed by practices aren't struggling to pay rent either. The dental hygienists around here make more than $70k.

I was going to suggest some type of sales position with medical device companies that supply dentists as a great way to make good money and leverage your experience while avoiding any hands on patient contact, until I read the part how you want nothing to do with dentistry.

That's the part that's going to be really tough. you can work for a dental insurance company at a desk all day and never see patients but that's againleveraging your dentistry background.

Ok, fine, I'll admit. I think dentistry is very boring. And some patients are just too finicky or just respond poorly to whatever dental treatment they receive. Unless if you're also a dentist and we can relate, it is pointless for me to talk about this in specific details. Just know that I think this is all very boring and frustrating of a job. Being 41 years old, I probably have two more decades of work remaining and I can't imagine doing this job for that much longer. The myth regarding dentist suicide does have some truth to it.

And it is a misconception that dentists don't struggle financially. A dentist only has two hands and dental procedures take time to do. For some, add to that the number of visits for follow-ups and adjustments. And then there are some that require re-treatment. And then add in the overhead expenses. Medicine is different. Physicians can spend less time per patient and their procedures, if any, are far more predictable and sometimes reimburses a lot more. So maybe physicians do well overall, but not all dentists. And, no, affluent areas do not always mean more spending on dentistry. Also, I never had an interest in owning an office. Owning an office only gets you established but I've seen some miserable owner dentists.

Please, I have been mentally tormented by this profession and would like something that doesn't make me think of dentistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
[snip]This is Internet doom and gloom negativity that you're falling for. My wive is a nurse, plenty get hired after 40, 50, she has a woman in her office who is 72. People get this negativity in their head and no wonder they don't get hired or make anything out of their lives. OMG I am too old, OMG I am a millennial, OMG I don't look right.... the list goes on and on.
Did your wife and these other nurses start out as a new graduate with no other nursing experience at age 43? Or do they get hired at their ages because they were experienced nurses? And is the woman who is 72 a new hire? With no previous experience?

Mod cut.

The OP asked for opinions on what his options are. From my personal experience, having been someone his age looking for work and also considering a career change, and who went back to school in her 40's, my opinion has weight here. It's information people would rather not hear, but it's information that should be considered in any plans by the OP.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-10-2016 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to comment which has been deleted).

Old 04-10-2016, 06:49 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Did your wife and these other nurses start out as a new graduate with no other nursing experience at age 43? Or do they get hired at their ages because they were experienced workers? And is the woman who is 72 a new hire? With no previous experience?

[snip]

The OP asked for opinions on what his options are. From my personal experience, having been someone his age looking for work and also considering a career change, and who went back to school in her 40's, my opinion has weight here. It's information people would rather not hear, but it's information that should be considered in any plans by the OP.
Exactly, you stated an opinion which is dead wrong that people don't get hired after 40. It happens everyday, people do total career changes at 40, 50 without experience and get new jobs everyday! It is amazing what can happen in life when you get away from the negativity and realize that it is a great big world out there.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-10-2016 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 06:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Exactly, you stated an opinion which is dead wrong that people don't get hired after 40. It happens everyday, people do total career changes at 40, 50 without experience and get new jobs everyday! It is amazing what can happen in life when you get away from the negativity and realize that it is a great big world out there.

My opinion is not dead wrong. It is based on my personal experience. My opinion simply disagrees with yours.

So, be helpful here, tell the OP what job he can get, where he won't have to use his dental experience, that will have nothing to do with dentistry in any way, shape or form, and where he won't have to use his hands, won't have to get any training, and where he can have an indoor job in slacks, and make at least $70,000 with benefits, at 41 years old? And remember, he has no other skills. And he can't travel because he's taking care of aging parents.

Start posting examples and prove you are right.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:07 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
How about in an insurance, regulatory or administrative role?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:48 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
OP, I applaud you for recognizing that you're not cut out for dentistry. I was an admin/practice manager for a few years in a pedo practice, so I know of what you speak. Is it possible for you to open a practice and run the business side, hiring in DDSs to do the patient work?

As for an alternative career, I think you would get the most bang for your buck if you invest in a career or life coach. I work with one (as part of my business) who is very reasonably priced, and he helps people figure out what they want to be when they grow up. Once they've figured out the options together, I come in and work with clients on marketing themselves to that particular audience (or audiences, if multiple). Working with someone like him could help you develop an understanding of the options you have in terms of job roles or industries.

If you're not interested in doing this, I would recommend approaching the financial investments world. I know several people who have been successful with Merrill Lynch, Edward Jones, etc. and none of them held degrees even remotely close to finance (one of them doesn't have a college degree at all).

Best of luck, no matter what you decide!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 PM

48 posts, read 38,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antpower550 View Post
Ok, fine, I'll admit. I think dentistry is very boring. And some patients are just too finicky or just respond poorly to whatever dental treatment they receive. Unless if you're also a dentist and we can relate, it is pointless for me to talk about this in specific details. Just know that I think this is all very boring and frustrating of a job. Being 41 years old, I probably have two more decades of work remaining and I can't imagine doing this job for that much longer. The myth regarding dentist suicide does have some truth to it.

And it is a misconception that dentists don't struggle financially. A dentist only has two hands and dental procedures take time to do. For some, add to that the number of visits for follow-ups and adjustments. And then there are some that require re-treatment. And then add in the overhead expenses. Medicine is different. Physicians can spend less time per patient and their procedures, if any, are far more predictable and sometimes reimburses a lot more. So maybe physicians do well overall, but not all dentists. And, no, affluent areas do not always mean more spending on dentistry. Also, I never had an interest in owning an office. Owning an office only gets you established but I've seen some miserable owner dentists.

Please, I have been mentally tormented by this profession and would like something that doesn't make me think of dentistry.
I think you need to pay off your student loans first before considering doing anything else.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
How about in an insurance, regulatory or administrative role?
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscross View Post
That's the part that's going to be really tough. you can work for a dental insurance company at a desk all day and never see patients but that's againleveraging your dentistry background.

That is what I think the OP should look for as a job as well. And as much as he wants to shy away from dentistry, he might have to start in a role like this related to dentistry and at the very least get some experience pushing paper in a role that he is interested in and then maybe move into another area of this type. Might be only another year or two of misery OR he might find that he doesn't mind dentistry as much when he's removed from doing dental work completely.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
That is what I think the OP should look for as a job as well. And as much as he wants to shy away from dentistry, he might have to start in a role like this related to dentistry and at the very least get some experience pushing paper in a role that he is interested in and then maybe move into another area of this type. Might be only another year or two of misery OR he might find that he doesn't mind dentistry as much when he's removed from doing dental work completely.
Great point! What about repping the latest and greatest equipment or products like Invisalign?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:30 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
I haven't read all the replies, but what about Hospital Administration?

Also, check out Federal Govt. Almost all agencies have exactly the kind of analytical positions you describe wanting. Problem is they usually hire these positions from within so you would likely have to go into a lower position at a substantial pay cut.

So, I know you don't want to do dentistry, but you might be able to use it to get yourself in the door and then apply for the type of job you want. Check out the agencies that deal with health, medical research, VA, etc.

I think if you go to USA Jobs and find the job series for dentist you can search that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment