Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
nope, our company runs a credit report on all applicants, even those entry level $12.00/hr part time jobs

i think you will find most if not all (larger, multi state) companies do
Wow and I was told it was 16 dollars and up. I know Wal Mart used to do it for their manager but not their regular store reps like cashiers and stock teams. Im curious what is considered a bad score and what is a good score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And what about the many candidates that really do go bankrupt due to medical reasons? Our healthcare system is still a cluster F and it has become one of the top reasons people go bankrupt. Do we just lock them out of the labor market for committing the terrible crime of getting sick?

No... that is when management has to make a judgment call. Some investigation would help them find out if that were truly the case and from there they can determine whether that person will be eligible for hire. It's not black and white.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:00 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
That's because you give your information to them. You don't have to. Live with cash and no one will be tracking you.
The problem is, for many purposes, not having a credit history at all can be almost as detrimental as having a bad credit history. If an employer looks up your credit report and finds out you have no history because you've been dealing only in cash the last 10 years, that will raise a serious red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Simply asking for a credit check or salary history is not a violation of a person's history. It should not be illegal to ask for this information. The key is that they have to ask. It should be illegal for them to obtain a credit check without permission (in which case it would be a violation of privacy. If you don't want to share this information, just tell them.
Again, telling them you don't want them to look at your credit history will reflect just as poorly as having a bad credit history. If they're allowed to ask, they automatically have the upper hand.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
I think it's ridiculous, this type of probing into one's personal life to try and determine job-worthiness. There are plenty of individuals who are amazing workers, loved by all their employers, and yet have personal lives that are a complete wreck. And vice-versa. It's hilarious how employers that a goody-two-shoes job applicant is going to be a competent and assiduous individual.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I'd bet if we set a poll today and set up scenarios using two different managers and ask 100 people what type of manager they'd rather work for the results would speak for themselves.

You seem to fail to remember that employees are PEOPLE. Not numbers on a whiteboard or in a spreadsheet. The company needs to protect its interests and assets, but at the same time one of the company's best assets (if handled correctly) is its people. If you invest in those people, you'll get returns. In the times that the returns are negative and you can't change it, you cut your loss and invest in a different asset that will get you where you need to go.

[snip]

I have always tried to treat my employees with the same respect I expect from them. We're adults and there is no need to be a hot head or get "handsy" because something doesn't go your way. There are many ways to handle situations that produce better results than how you choose to come across.

[snip]

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-12-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 01:43 PM

17 posts, read 14,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
[snip]

I'd bet if we set a poll today and set up scenarios using two different managers and ask 100 people what type of manager they'd rather work for the results would speak for themselves.

You seem to fail to remember that employees are PEOPLE. Not numbers on a whiteboard or in a spreadsheet. The company needs to protect its interests and assets, but at the same time one of the company's best assets (if handled correctly) is its people. If you invest in those people, you'll get returns. In the times that the returns are negative and you can't change it, you cut your loss and invest in a different asset that will get you where you need to go.

[snip]

I have always tried to treat my employees with the same respect I expect from them. We're adults and there is no need to be a hot head or get "handsy" because something doesn't go your way. There are many ways to handle situations that produce better results than how you choose to come across.

[snip]
Well, considering that my role as a manager is to supervise, direct and ... MANAGE, and not to win a popularity contest, youd be right.

My philosophy is simple, MY DEPARTMENT, MY RULES, dont like it? Mod cut.

Dont like the credit reports/drug test/background check policy? DONT APPLY.

Im not holding a gun to anyones head at work, if they do not like my boots-to-asses approach, they are more than welcomed to file a grievance, and after it gets tossed out in arbitration, they are more than welcomed to leave the company and go work for a manager whos going to sing kumbaya with them, and watch productivity and profits plunge.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-12-2016 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinhotwater View Post
Well, considering that my role as a manager is to supervise, direct and ... MANAGE, and not to win a popularity contest, youd be right.

My philosophy is simple, MY DEPARTMENT, MY RULES, dont like it? Mod cut.

Dont like the credit reports/drug test/background check policy? DONT APPLY.

Im not holding a gun to anyones head at work, if they do not like my boots-to-asses approach, they are more than welcomed to file a grievance, and after it gets tossed out in arbitration, they are more than welcomed to leave the company and go work for a manager whos going to sing kumbaya with them, and watch productivity and profits plunge.

You're still missing the point. There has to be a balance. You can't expect a company whose management thinks employees aren't important to succeed. Just as you cannot expect a company who caters solely to the employees to thrive. Employees should know that management has their best interests at hand while also understanding that they are expected to perform to certain expectations and nothing less.

You can have both. Successful companies/managers understand that.

Companies use tools to make sure they are hiring the best candidate that they can. But it must be legal and ethical. If you don't expect employees to do unethical things within the company, don't teach them that it is ok by taking unethical actions on the end of management. After all, management represents the company and a good manager should be the middle man between the company and the employees.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
who checks credit report? You aren't borrowing money from company
Credit reports list your previous addresses and often previous employers.

It's one method of verifying the accuracy of the information you provided on your application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Credit checks, along with salary history, are one of those things which should be illegal for an employer to ask for, it's violation of a person's privacy.
The employer and employees have a right to privacy as well as a right to a work-place free of nut-jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Credit checks not allowed in California to make hiring decisions unless money handling is part of the job. This is true of many states. There is a link with the states and other info, but I am on my iPad so cannot link. Very easy to find, though, with a Google search.
Those laws are so easy to get around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Personal question, have you ever had your credit dinged or ruined due to circumstances beyond your control?
That's something you can explain to your employer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Unfortunately, there are dozens of ways to run credit reports, criminal background checks, medical history checks, travel pattern checks, social media posting checks, and pretty much anything else one can imagine. The days of privacy are long gone, killed by those who wanted a free and unencumbered internet along with the free exchange of that information free from regulatory control. There is very little a prospective employer can't get if they are willing to pay for it, and, there is even less you can do about it.

The study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, finds a correlation between high credit, cognitive ability and self-control. Researchers studied health and financial data from more than 1,000 people who had been monitored since birth for nearly 40 years. They discovered that your credit does a lot more than tell a bank whether or not it should give you a loan.

[emphasis mine]

Credit Scores Reflect Heart Health, Study Finds

Credit scores tell a lot about candidates and applicants for employment.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:13 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
So is it a bonus for me that I have a credit score of like 770 at age 22? Does that give me an edge?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:26 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
People, you have to make up your minds.

When so many people in this country lost their house or got behind on their rent or house payments, that went on their credit report. Subsequently, a lot of those people were having a hard time finding a job again and had to go on welfare and/or food stamps. Now we hear that they're a bunch of freeloaders and they should just get a job. Problem is, with all these businesses doing credit checks, they can't get jobs.

Here in Washington state, they will ask to do a credit check for a minimum wage job at Petco. I saw an ad asking for a tool booth operator and stating that if you didn't have perfect credit, don't bother to apply. These are the kinds of jobs that are available now. These are the kinds of jobs people have to work. You hear about the unemployment figures being so low, well, credit checks are one of the reasons why. It's because you have a good number of the population that can't get hired because they simply don't have good enough credit for these kinds of jobs.

So the bottom line is, if you want people to work, credit checks have to be eliminated or heavily modified. If you personally want credit checks to stay in place, then you don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about those on welfare. If you want people on welfare to find jobs and work, then you are going to have to be vocal about getting rid of credit checks as a requirement for employment. That simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment