Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM

245 posts, read 382,750 times

Advertisements

I think I watched the first few episodes and that was it. Of Course its staged the employees must notice the camera man walking around pointing a camera at them. It has basically turned into a soap opera so that means I refuse to watch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 06:12 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,908,593 times
I always laugh at the fact everyone always says they love the company and wouldn't work anywhere else. I liked my job too, but when upper management decided to start screwing over the employees, I wasn't going to stay out of love.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,847,876 times
It's hard to believe that this show is still in production.

Let's see...Undercover boss shows up looking like Yanni (or Jesus), usually wearing a cheap wig that could be found at your local Halloween costume store (only one step up from the Groucho Marx plastic glasses-nose-moustache). Boss, who usually doesn't know a dang thing about anything work-related, is introduced as someone they're all going to rate, to see if he merits his own business/franchise [insert lightbulb smiley here], after which the staff can barely wait to take their breaks with the imposter to rattle off their life history to a stranger: I'm a single mom we never had a honeymoon, my elderly mom lives with us, we lost our house during Hurricane Sandy, I ride a bike to work because I can't afford a car, the kids have never been on a vacation, we're behind on the rent...

Most people don't share that much with coworkers they've known for years, much less someone they just met. The schtick is the same, and the employees are onto it. Enough already.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,483,783 times
I liked the first couple of shows. Most of it is played up though. At least one employee always has a serious issue that they discuss with the "new guy". Who really does that in real life?

With UCB being on for many seasons, how can anybody be fooled by the boss incognito? The employees would have to live in caves not to suspect.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:48 PM

649 posts, read 571,270 times
I've watched a few episodes here and there and I think the show is pretty insulting actually. The whole show is designed to make the boss look like a hero never mind the fact that most of them have been treating their employees unfairly for years. Sure it's great for the few employees that are selected to receive gifts from the boss but what about everyone else?

At the end of the day the boss goes back to their multi-million dollar mansion and the cashier or warehouse worker goes back to their tiny little apartment and the next day it's business as usual at work. I would rather people get fair raises and decent benefits but I guess that would be a pretty boring show.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:05 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,980,958 times
I watched the Choice Hotels and 7-11 episodes.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:05 PM

459 posts, read 620,928 times
I just happened to catch the "Peavey Electronics" episode, defiantly a company that did themselves no favors with the show.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,867,489 times
It was better in the beginning, but has gotten really goofy as time goes on. They put a fake hairdo and glasses on some CEO, and suddenly he or she is so different looking that the employees fail to recognize them ! Stevie Wonder would be able to spot one of these phonies ! Not to mention the camera guys following some "new trainee" around.............sure, that happens every day at work.

The only semi believable one was the lady exec from Boston Market, she was pretty good and the show seemed somewhat watchable. I loved the part where the one guy (who was later fired) told he he hated the customers because they felt entitled. Ooooooooopppps !

Don

Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,365,770 times
Most of the bosses are CEOs and never met any of these employees. They usually live out of state and work in the corporate office. The camera don't seem out of place to the workers because they are usually told that the boss is someone that is featured from some contest to turn their life around. That said, I feel,that at least one or two,stories are embellished to make it moe dramatic. I am also skeptical enough to believe the companies are now paying to be featured because it gives them 60 minutes of advertising and a chance to make their company look great.

These days, it has turned into a typical scripted reality hips how like the Kardashians or Dance Moms.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:19 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,103,788 times
The episode I remember the most was when the boss went to work at "White Castle". The manager recognized him immediately. LOL I knew it because she kept looking at his "hair" and "moustache".

Why does everyone have a sob story and why do they only give certain employees something in the end? I would be mad if I worked at one of these companies and found out that someone else got all these thousands of dollars, vacation, a year of free rent, a new car and I got nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment