Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 06:55 PM

38 posts, read 34,827 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been reading the forums for some time now and this is my first post . As a person in their 20's, I have worked in both bottom-of-the-barrel companies to now a respected and recognized f500 company. I notice a similarity wherever you go. It is that if you have any aspirations or ambitions of moving up, managers will often use your initiative and eagerness to their advantage, specially millennial or young workers. One day you are wanted the next you are disposable once you are no longer needed. The sad thing is that there is no specific praise or recognition. Public recognitions are contributed to the group effort instead.

It is similar to the catch-22 of can't get a job/no experience situation. Is it even worth it to try so hard anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM

901 posts, read 747,700 times
If you want to survive Corporate America then read "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene. I am not sure what the structure of your company is but when someone is "ambitious" and has "aspiration", that usually indicates that you want to "move up", that means someone else has to either "move up" or "move out". It is the "move out" part where people will cut your throat.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:57 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
It is the "move out" part where people will cut your throat.
Buy a good Knife set.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:37 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,648 times
You should be having recurring meetings with your manager or supervisor to discuss your goals and progress. If this isn't happening, make it happen. You need to seek out sponsors and mentors, both within and outside of your company. You need to champion your own cause. Identify where you want to be next in your company and start working towards that goal. Find out from your manager what you need to do in order to be eligible for a promotion, and then find out how you can prove that you're the best person for that promotion. These things are rarely just handed to you. Yes, you need to work hard to earn a promotion, but often the politics and way you go about it is just as or more important.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
You should be having recurring meetings with your manager or supervisor to discuss your goals and progress. If this isn't happening, make it happen. You need to seek out sponsors and mentors, both within and outside of your company. You need to champion your own cause. Identify where you want to be next in your company and start working towards that goal. Find out from your manager what you need to do in order to be eligible for a promotion, and then find out how you can prove that you're the best person for that promotion. These things are rarely just handed to you. Yes, you need to work hard to earn a promotion, but often the politics and way you go about it is just as or more important.
Spot on. If OP is working at a F500 company with a lot of employees the politics mean even more than the rest.

I also agree in looking for a mentor. Some companies have an official program, but others have an unofficial one. If there is someone in middle to upper management who you look up to feel free to strike up a conversation at the appropriate time, mention that you're enjoying your work at the company and are looking to move up, and also ask how they were able to progress in their career. Assuming they're amenable, you can then ask if they'd be willing to mentor you. Even if they don't have the time and decline it will certainly make an impression.

The advantage of larger companies is that if one manager won't provide you an opportunity, if you get some basic politics and networking right you can latch onto another. The term "intrapreneurial" means the ability to be entrepreneurial within a company, and growing your career from the inside.

Lastly, most people will peak at some point. Once you've been at a company 5-7 years, and certainly by around 10-11 (which many people won't even reach nowadays) you are probably ready to move on to another. As job-hopping doesn't have the stigma it once did even moving every 2-3 years to earn a promotion is a way to go. Just make sure that when you hop you actually climb another rung of the ladder.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:41 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
If you want to survive Corporate America then read "The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene. I am not sure what the structure of your company is but when someone is "ambitious" and has "aspiration", that usually indicates that you want to "move up", that means someone else has to either "move up" or "move out". It is the "move out" part where people will cut your throat.
Not true at all. Your assumption is that the organizational chart is completely static and no new positions can be created.

New departments are created/merged all the time, as are headcounts depending on need. To say that one can never elevate position without replacing someone is silly.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:41 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Start establishing good relationships with your bosses, buy them presents, kiss their butt, hobnob in their office.. You will get promoted.

If not, you will never be promoted. Bosses today would rather have their ego stroked and promote someone on that basis alone opposed to having someone work hard for them and not stroke their ego.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
Almost everyone has aspirations of advancing, especially at your age. What I notice is that 20 somethings are unrealistic about moving up and get very edgy when it doesn’t happen quick enough and they think it should, which is immediately and often. You all think you can handle it, deserve it, are ready for it, are better than the next guy, etc. Well, guess what? I completely understand. I was your age once too and I also thought the same way. So I’m here to warn you that it’s a dangerous path towards bitterness, confusion, dissatisfaction, despair, and many other negative emotions. It’ll actually stunt your progress depending on how deep it goes.

Full or **** and vinegar is the expression. If you’re an accountant let’s say, It’s not all about understanding income statements. You kind of have to pay your dues and gain some sophistication with intangible qualities. That comes through experience in work and life. And although some things are intangible, those qualities are not difficult to see on an interview or through day to day interaction. some younger people have it, most do not and need to develop it. But they don’t understand that because they don’t know what it’s about. When you are my age (40’s) you’ll understand more – a lot more.

And to address your thought of being used, well...that’s just supports the point of the lack of understanding and sophistication when you are younger and inexperienced. You are part of a team. Your manager is head of the team. Your job is to support him/her and provide your work, thoughts, innovation, etc. towards that goal. What you see as being used is what others consider participating. You want to get credit so people understand how awesome you think you are. I get it. But that’s not the way things work. I won’t go on and get into the intricate details because I am pretty certain you won’t swallow them anyway. If I remember, I was pretty closed off to people giving me advice and thoughts about how things were so I won’t expect you to be.

I will say this in the hope that it helps you. Try to understand and perceive that you do what you do in an effort to learn so that you CAN gain the sophistication and experience to move up. Understand that the person that your work (and consequent learning) is benefiting most is you!

Best of luck.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:10 AM

890 posts, read 883,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helionprime View Post
Hello all,

I've been reading the forums for some time now and this is my first post . As a person in their 20's, I have worked in both bottom-of-the-barrel companies to now a respected and recognized f500 company. I notice a similarity wherever you go. It is that if you have any aspirations or ambitions of moving up, managers will often use your initiative and eagerness to their advantage, specially millennial or young workers. One day you are wanted the next you are disposable once you are no longer needed. The sad thing is that there is no specific praise or recognition. Public recognitions are contributed to the group effort instead.

It is similar to the catch-22 of can't get a job/no experience situation. Is it even worth it to try so hard anymore?
That is typical human behaviour. Management will try to take the credit for your good work. Blame you for any bad work. Work to your best for your own personal satisfaction, and change jobs for a solid promotion when the opportunity arises.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:16 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I haven't had what the OP suggests happen to me, but oftentimes it's more difficult to just get visibility or to have the opportunity to "be a star" than it is to be successful at what you're actually doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment