Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:29 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

I need to take 6 weeks off for some major elective cosmetic surgery(full body lipo,abdominoplasty,and brachioplasty.
I already have 3 weeks of PTO I'm going to use to get paid for 3 weeks.
So far,I've talked to HR and they said no,because its elective. I work with this company 50+ hrs a week.
One of the other companies I work for said yes,it is covered.
I'm with them part time.

I'm not sure why I'm getting 2 different answers from 2 different employers of mine.

Even if I can't use Fmla,I'm wondering if I could apply for disability payments for the other 3 weeks.
Nj pays out disability payments to women on maternity leave and other medical disabilities.
I think Nj is unique in this,as other states don't give anything to new mothers.
If not,I will be ok anyway with the bills,as I saved up for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 PM

473 posts, read 796,381 times
http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/fact/employ.htm

Old 12-20-2013, 08:51 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I suppose it's a fair question, though I doubt it would be covered. But, seriously? If someone posted that they wanted to use your tax dollars or wanted your employer to pay for artificial insemination or p**is enlargement, what would your reaction be? I don't know your circumstances, obviously, so I'm not judging you. It just seems like a very odd question.

Most importantly, you've got it covered regardless.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Regarding FMLA, is the procedures required for reconstructive or similar reasons due to an illness, injury, or disease? Will you be hospitalized overnight due to the procedure? Has a Medical Doctor stated the reason is medically necessary?
Regarding NJ Short-term Disability, is the procedures required for reconstructive or similar reasons due to an illness, injury, or disease? Has a Medical Doctor stated the reason is medically necessary?

The answers will determine if you are covered. As an FYI, a company is free to extend FMLA protection to employees beyond what is required by law or they can cover you even if not eligible. So, you can have one company say yes (just because they are too small to go through the compliance process) and another which has the ability to compliance check and has determined you’re ineligible.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Even if I can't use Fmla,I'm wondering if I could apply for disability payments for the other 3 weeks.
Nj pays out disability payments to women on maternity leave and other medical disabilities.
I think Nj is unique in this,as other states don't give anything to new mothers.
If not,I will be ok anyway with the bills,as I saved up for that.
As a resident of NJ I can only hope not.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
You can afford all that elective plastic surgery but can't afford to go without a salary for 3 weeks? Then save up more, geez!

Old 12-21-2013, 02:26 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
You can afford all that elective plastic surgery but can't afford to go without a salary for 3 weeks? Then save up more, geez!
I think they only want to apply for disability payments is because they want the employer to "OK" the extra 3 weeks time off. If the employer says "no" to unpaid FMLA, I think the OP is trying to force them into agreement by use of disability. This way the employer cannot say no. OP already tried to get 3 weeks unpaid and employer won't allow it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:54 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
The way I read it, it all lies in the question of disability versus cosmetic.

I think the OP already knows the answer.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
No,that's not what I said.
I said I can go without the pay.
You people have to remember,in Nj disability and unemployment comes out of our paychecks.
I know in other states it doesn't.

So my question is,if I'm paying for it already through taxes,why not use it?

Is elective cosmetic plastic surgery

Old 12-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Regarding FMLA, is the procedures required for reconstructive or similar reasons due to an illness, injury, or disease? Will you be hospitalized overnight due to the procedure? Has a Medical Doctor stated the reason is medically necessary?
Regarding NJ Short-term Disability, is the procedures required for reconstructive or similar reasons due to an illness, injury, or disease? Has a Medical Doctor stated the reason is medically necessary?

The answers will determine if you are covered. As an FYI, a company is free to extend FMLA protection to employees beyond what is required by law or they can cover you even if not eligible. So, you can have one company say yes (just because they are too small to go through the compliance process) and another which has the ability to compliance check and has determined you’re ineligible.
Yes,there is hospitalization required.
No,its not medically necessary.

Anyway,my question got answered in Realself, and yes,you can get disability payments,and yes,its covered under FMLA.
So is Gastric Bypass surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment