Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:29 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Exactly, the US economy is rotten and jobs are disappearing!
feel free to move elsewhere, except the pesky visa issue.

where else do you think it is better? Denmark? Minnesota has a lower unemployment rate if you want to go somewhere cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 06:30 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Being the brand new guy, means he gets purged first when it tanks. Last hired, first fired.
Might be true, but I worked through a layoff period where the guys that were just hired were exempt from layoffs. They started with the people with one year experience and up.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
This could just be a coincidence, but the past few acquaintances I've talked to each said they recently took a new job in anticipation of layoffs at their old company. One of them was an engineer at GoPro and said he left because their stock price had plummeted so far and, being one of the new guys, he knew he would be one of the first laid off if there were layoffs. Same story with the other acquaintances I've caught up with.
As for the GoPro person, only 77 employees were let go since 1/1/2015 and 4/25/2016, all on 1/15/2016. So, considering that was their only layoff in over a year and represents only 5% of their employees, that's not a bad sign for an employee.

Sometimes what happens is a large company will make a shift due to marketing, manufacturing or direction that causes one area to be hit. When this happens, normally employees recognize the area being cut and can pretty much figure out why and who. Unfortunately, from time to time, certain employees panic and act without the benefit of thinking so they jump ship out of emotions not so much logic.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM

44 posts, read 44,117 times
Most of the U.S. economy today is low wage, dead end, service sector jobs. Horribly sad!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
The job market has changed drastically in the last few years. My employer hires for a specific project and let's everyone go once the project is complete.

In my current group where I'm a temp, they've already told all the permanent people that they will be let go by the end of the year so people are looking now and 2 people have already left.

I'm seeing an increasing reliance on the temporary workers who are not eligible for benefits until 1 year of employment but the temporary assignments cannot go longer than 1 year so unless you move to another temp assignment you are done.

Every year in March there is a round of layoffs. The company is constantly churning employees.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:28 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
The job market has changed drastically in the last few years. My employer hires for a specific project and let's everyone go once the project is complete.

In my current group where I'm a temp, they've already told all the permanent people that they will be let go by the end of the year so people are looking now and 2 people have already left.

I'm seeing an increasing reliance on the temporary workers who are not eligible for benefits until 1 year of employment but the temporary assignments cannot go longer than 1 year so unless you move to another temp assignment you are done.

Every year in March there is a round of layoffs. The company is constantly churning employees.
That's Walmart corporate? Walmart has a well-earned rep for being cheap.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I worked for a company where all the senior employees took early retirement when they found out the pensions were being axed in favor of a 401k. That got rid of the career well paid employees pretty quickly.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:37 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
I can't say as I blame alot of the employers cutting the fat off the budget with alot of these aging, reused employees over and over again. You have soo many talented younger employees in their 20s and 30s underutilized or can't find work. Businesses seem to keep playing hot potato with the same old 50, 60 year olds. Sooner or later you have to cut the chord. But now there is a learning with experience and that is the COMPANIES fault because they don't invest in their future.

A lot of these older employees quit putting in the effort 10 years ago and have been showing up just to collect their check ever since and not properly training their replacements.

Its no wonder America is going to hell in a hand basket and truthfully we probably better how picking up and moving to another country thats growing. Not a country that continues its slow death with incompetent country and business leaders

Old 05-01-2016, 12:52 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so what did they do, jump to another startup?

If they are switching jobs out of fear of the economy, what makes them think the next ship is any better? Large companies lay people off as often as smaller ones. Hell, they lay people off regularly and just keep the top X%, then rehire/train and then cut whoever didn't make marks at next layoff.

So if they think it is going south, where exactly do they plan to escape to? Might as well stick where they know the job and wait it out. If economy goes down, outside of a few sectors, everything goes down too. And when money is their bottom line, well... the line just got tough for people
The typical cycle - a startup is the first to market with an application made possible by technology that they did not invent. They get the benefit of first off the line - then the reality of the market hits. Since they don't really have any proprietary technology except for software, which can be easily mimicked by other developers, the new guys come in a cut prices. It happened to IBM with the PC and they moved on. Gopro can't move on unless they get a big round of funding, or some other miracle. Look at Lotus Development or WordPerfect Corporation for an idea of what maybe awaits GoPro.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:18 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
This could just be a coincidence, but the past few acquaintances I've talked to each said they recently took a new job in anticipation of layoffs at their old company. One of them was an engineer at GoPro and said he left because their stock price had plummeted so far and, being one of the new guys, he knew he would be one of the first laid off if there were layoffs. Same story with the other acquaintances I've caught up with.

That makes no sense. They quit their jobs in anticipation of being laid off, only to do what? Go somewhere else with even less seniority than they had? I think you might be a little confused on what is happening with your "acquaintances"..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment