Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times

Advertisements

Sorry about your boss and glad you'll be looking elsewhere. Years ago I had the same experience when my mom passed. I left ASAP, which happened to be a week before Christmas and she was extremely angry that I was so inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times
Sorry for your loss. Take this time to find peace.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
So sorry for your loss, and may the job hunt go smoothly.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:18 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
It sounds as though you really dodged a bullet, OP, finding out early on that your boss is a jerk. I'm terribly sorry to hear of your father's passing. Once things settle down and you move on with your grief, I wish you the best in finding a much better job and a boss who actually has some compassion.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
I'd let it known on the way out the door why you are leaving. Screw burning bridges in this case.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:18 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Very sorry for your loss.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry. I didn't comment on your last thread, but I read it.

Sometimes, it isn't a lack of compassion. Some people are just really uncomfortable with death. Some people just weren't raised right.

I hope you give her some constructional criticism when you leave. I mean, don't burn any bridges, but she should know this is a failing of hers.

Again, I'm really sorry for your loss.
No one is comfortable with death, it is either a lack of compassion or they were raised in a barn. Saying "I'm sorry" takes little effort.

I wouldn't worry about buring bridges in this case, this is the time when the OP gets another job(and I hope quickly) you tell the boss off, and do it in front of an audience. You don't have to use foul langauge or lose your temper but you tell them what you think of them and how horrible they were in this situation.

Constructive critism doesn't work with people like this, putting them in their place does.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:27 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Don't do anything out of anger or reflex. If what you have is otherwise a good job and benefits, then stick with it. I have seen many people do very stupid things strictly out of emotion.

It's a tough reality, but work is not the place to seek even the slightest bit of compassion. There might even be an HR policy that says not to show compassion, because there might be a situation where a manager shows "uneven compassion" subconsciously and gets the company in trouble.

I know one guy who left our company who got a going away party, complete with food and a cake. When I left, not a tear was shed by anyone. He'd been there 4 years and I'd been there 23. Worth noting for your situation, but really didn't bother me a bit.

When my father died, I didn't get squat from anyone--mainly because I really didn't need it or seek it from anyone. Work is not the place for that.

I can say it though: Sorry for your loss.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
I don't know about all of you, but I'm darn happy to see that the OP is getting a lot of sympathy for the loss of her father. I'm betting to most, if not all of you, she's a total stranger, yet many of you are being very supportive, compassionate and praying for this 'stranger'... For that, to all of you who've done so, 'Well Done!"

As someone else posted, isn't it a shame that not everyone can be supportive and compassionate to others? God bless all of you who offered your sincere sympathy to the OP...

Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Sorry to hear about your dad. Thanks for updating us, and I'm glad you were able to find support here. Wishing you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment